Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » Christian Video Clips, Movies , Church Webs TV   » A mixed review: Hidalgo

Author Topic: A mixed review: Hidalgo
Yeluansh
Member # 4068

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Yeluansh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes,you are right,in our days and age,moives are just a method of earning money for those moive makers,there isn,t any true mind in the moives,and from another point,a moive is just potray a thing ,maybe a story written by a writer or a story that happened somewhere somebody a Christian in form.
So do not mind about a moive ,to tolerate is a road to paradise.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cameron
Advanced Member
Member # 1090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cameron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well you sort of have a point. Doesnt' really surprise me this day and age. it's funny how people cry out for religious tolerance for all beliefs....except Christianity. Bear in mind though, some people associate themselves with the Christian banner and yet are totally the opposite of what a Christian should be. (like that woman) And another thing, can you imagine the feedback the movie makers would have got if they'd protrayed muslims in a bad light? I'm not justifying it, I'm just pointing out their point of view. All in all I don't think there's anything wrong with the movie, but if you don't like it, send it to me [Razz]

--------------------
Why do we care what people think of us when we know what God thinks of us?

Posts: 332 | From: Queensland, Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mohawk
Advanced Member
Member # 2898

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mohawk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just purchased a used DVD of the film "Hidalgo" and though I found the story and acting highly entertaining, I was troubled by some of the more subtle elements the film contains.

No, this is not a "Christian movie" per se... it's a secular film to be sure. It's an eye-opening example of spiritual politics in a film... and the politics in question is definitely anti-Christian.

This is amazing because the company responsible for "Hidalgo" is Disney, a movie studio that was once a watershed of wholesome movies, and an alternative for viewers seeking a refuge from the general ungodliness of the rest of Hollywood. How times have changed??

In the film, there are three spiritual viewpoints indirectly referred to. The Arabic culture (Islam) is portrayed as savage yet noble, barbaric and sexist, yet methodical and disciplined. The lead character, the cowboy Hopkins, is a disciple of American Indian mysticism, and basically he is portrayed as prevailing over everyone because of it.

There is one character referred to as "the Christian woman" who is thoroughly made the villain. It comes out of nowhere--all of a sudden she is a Darth Vader in pink lace and high-heels. A capitalist, racist, evildoer willing to order people (and the title horse) killed to meet her selfish ends. If I ruined the film for you, maybe I am glad.

No one ever comes out and says "Islam rough but basically okay... Indian mysticism good... Christianity bad..." but that is the message (that I see) being laid down, in an indirect, subtle way. I am wondering if anyone else who saw the film picked this up? Or am I just over-analyzing it? Please help me out as I am torn between holding onto the DVD for its technical entertainment value--or--returning it to the bin because of its spiritual backhandedness.

Posts: 223 | From: california | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement