Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » Christian Video Clips, Movies , Church Webs TV   » Keeping This Thread Alive

Author Topic: Keeping This Thread Alive
mohawk
Advanced Member
Member # 2898

Icon 6 posted      Profile for mohawk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really want to keep this room going--and I am still a little bewildered that there isn't a theater-full of chatters in here. Okay--I'll be the guy who stays the course. I don't mind--and I think I have a personal slant on movies (and Hollywood as it pertains to believers) that will keep things hopping should anyone else join in.

I think discussions both about Christian movies, and about secular movies from a Biblical standpoint could be appropriate here. So I will proceed accordingly... if any of the moderators disagree, please let me know and I will approach this room differently in the future.

I just saw "The Day After Tomorrow" and I must say I was not as "blown away" as the hype tried to promise I'd be. I will admit the effects were amazing, but the story was a tad weak, and somewhat agenda oriented. I suppose a non-Christian could claim that Christian movies are agenda-oriented as well, so "TDAT" could probably be considered an environmentalist's "religious" film. But the message was shallow.

My reaction was basically: I found some of the dialogue very educational as to how global warming can actually bring about an ice age--it seems contradictory at first, but the way that warming affects the Gulf Stream, which in turn affects the weather, and thus the climate, is really very interesting. On the other hand, the scenario played out in the movie (of a massive climate shift that happens in just a day or two and threatens mankind) was just a little paranoid. I seriously doubt such a thing could happen as the movie shows it.

I'm not sure what to make of it from a Biblical perspective. Jesus did warn that man would destroy himself, and take the Earth with him, up to the point that God must intervenes, lest all perish. I do sense however that this movie calls out for some kind of comment from a Biblical viewpoint--I just can't put my finger on it. Someone a bit more studious should take over the commentary here perhaps.

A SMALL COMFORTING MOMENT

This Memorial Weekend I was watching TV, and "Left Behind" was playing on one of the cable channels. I was with other people, who I shall say were not atuned to stopping the remote on a religious movie. But someone (of course) couldn't keep a lid on their need to editorialize. "That's that movie about the rapture and how naughty people won't go to Heaven, they get left behind... ooo-wooo-wooo. Be good--you don't want to be left behind!"

I answered "I'm not the one needs to worry."

The channel got changed quick! Too bad--I could've watched it. Was I a little too sarcastic? Live and learn.

Posts: 223 | From: california | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement