Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » Christian Video Clips, Movies , Church Webs TV   » Various Topics...

Author Topic: Various Topics...
mohawk
Advanced Member
Member # 2898

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mohawk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I may state, I understand how the above writer feels, and I would agree, if "Passion" were a film only being shown to Christians. This must be a double-edged sword for some people--I admit I never realized that.

Gibson dared walk the fine line between passion and perversion when he made this film. But to me the fantastic thing is, this film landed amid the mass-market, and was shown in multi-plexes, where it reached a world-wide audience--and made an impact that the media could not ignore.

Unfortunately we live now in an age where the most effective communication is visual. So I think it was necessary to accurately portray Christ's suffering. To gloss over it, and skip right to the resurrection would be to put this film in the same catagory as other "religious" films that the masses ignore.

I am NOT saying the resurrection is unimportant. Quite obviously it is one of the cornerstones (THE cornerstone) of Christian faith, and yes, it should not be taken lightly. But "Passion" did end with a very (my opinion) powerful nod to the resurrection. It was made all the more powerful because of what was shown leading up to it.

The point I suppose I really want to make is: Most non-Christians I talk to share the same belief--they have no quarrel with Jesus being a great teacher and spiritual leader of the past... but they have a problem when it comes to "that resurrection thing," and with Jesus really being the embodiment of the Creator. Their thinking is shut down by a secular world that can't believe in a person waking out of death. Mel Gibson could have avoided all risk by catering (bowing) to that world, and conveniently leaving out any reference to the resurrection. Whew--a "statement" film that Hollywood can sleep easy with!

But he didn't! He risked it, and included the resurrection. Cementing where his own beliefs are--which I'm sure cocked a few eyebrows in the very industry where he makes his living. The film, as gory and gruesome as it may be, is at least honest, and most importantly, biblically complete. It's not the cop-out that a less courageous filmmaker would have made. I applaud Mel Gibson for that--a major Hollywood star who has stood up to be counted as a part the body of Christ. His own industry could've "crucified" him for that, but he did it.

The Holy Bible includes a blow-by-blow description of Christ's torments--I'm not about to edit that out of scripture just because it may ruin someone's dessert. That torment was meant for YOU and ME.

Let me conclude by saying I can fully understand why someone may be offended by the horrific nature of the violence, and especially the segments that seemed to glorify it. But I also must weigh that against the need for people, believers and non-believers alike, to be informed (or perhaps reminded) of what God endured for mankind. And... there are other films that depict the Passion that are more family oriented, if one still cannot accept the Gibson film. "The Greatest Story Ever Told," "King of Kings," to name a few.

So in short... I agree, and yet disagree. I hope we can amicably allow that.

Question: Is it possible that God never knew what physical pain was like until He felt it, in the form of Jesus? How could God experience pain otherwise? I'm talking physical pain--like an injury--not emotional pain, such as sorrow or disappointment. There's an idea--possibly someone more schooled than I, here on the Board, could shed some thoughtful light on that. Is there a scriptural passage that addresses it?

Posts: 223 | From: california | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tribegurl9000
Member # 2827

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribegurl9000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay I have to say something about "The Passion of the Christ".
Honestly, I did cry, but only because of how horrible it was. It did not inspire me, it made me think of how much of a sick person Mel Gibson is. If Jesus had a choice do you really think he would want us to have to go through watching that horrible violence? It amazes me that some people actually took their children to see this. I mean they don't want their kids to watch anything that even suggests sex, but this extreme display of violence and torture is acceptable? I couldn't stop crying afterward because of how upset I was.

I don't usually like watching any film about Jesus or what he went through becuase barely any of them focus on the most important part. The Resurrection. That is the most important part of it all. And most of them don't look at Jesus as a human being with fears and doubts. Usually I like the movie "Jesus Christ Superstar" because they show that he was a human with fears of dying and doubts about things. The only thing is the movie doesn't show the resurrection.

--------------------
=^_^=

Posts: 4 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mohawk
Advanced Member
Member # 2898

Icon 6 posted      Profile for mohawk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, people will be talking about "Passion" for years to come.

I know some individuals who saw it but their hearts were hardened to it. I think (personally) that many people who turn away, do so, somewhat, out of fear. Their anger or indignation at the Gospel is because they can't bear to consider the possibility it would be true. Then they'd have their own lives to examine next to Christ's measure, and yes, they'd be found lacking. The news is, we ALL are lacking. But when He uttered "It is accomplished" on the cross, that was like a big "PAID-IN-FULL" being stamped on a receipt that erased our sinfullness in God's eyes. We aren't perfect, but forgiven. Turning your heart to Christ is to accept yourself despite what you have been, as He does. People with hardened hearts really just can't accept THEMSELVES, but can mask it by not accepting Christ. Okay, I started out just wanting to add another comment and instead launched into a sermon. Sheesh.

I recently re-watched "Deep Impact" on video. I think it's a great film, with many Christian undertones. The huge cave where the last million humans try to shield themselves is named "the Ark" and two of every animal are broght inside. The spaceship that travels to the comet is called "Messiah." The astronauts sacrifice themselves to save humanity, and the captain of the astronauts is nicknamed "Fish." The disaster caused my the smaller comet is a great flood. The U.S. President (played splendidly by Morgan Freeman), says over TV to the world that he believes in God, and ends his presidential address by praying.

It was technically not a "Christian" movie, but yet, it was. This is the kind of film I was referring to... because I believe these films reach non-Christians and strike a small silent chord... that resonates later. Like planting a seed that takes time to grow. Anyone else's thoughts??

Posts: 223 | From: california | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tristanic316
Community Member
Member # 3333

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tristanic316     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i can't believe this hasn't been a booming thread either...
my parents saw 'passion' before me, as did a couple of friends. and nothing they said could have prepared me for it. i was in awe. it was a really moving movie. i mean, you can't say it was good because of what was just portrayed, but it was very well done. did you cry? [Smile] i started crying when the soldiers were beating him w/ the cat of ninetails, and that one time it got caught and they ripped it out. i kept wanting to be mad at the soldiers and everyone who played a part, but i put him on that cross just as much as they did ya know. he did it for my sins... i feel so unworthy yet forever grateful. i thought jim caviezel did an excellent job with his role. throughout the whole movie, he always had a look of love and forgiveness in his eyes. every time! and you know jesus did. one of my pen pals thought mary's role was overly done. like she had too much of a part. but i disagree. she was his mother and can you imagine the pain of losing your son? i can't, but just trying hurts. i know! that scene- where she was running to him, ouch. i thought overall it was astounding.
i also thought the realease was God's timing. alot of stuff w/ the gay marriages was going on (still is, i know) and i think the devil thought he was getting ahead and then bam! here comes 'passion' a movie based solely on Christ and touching many people, world-wide... i hadn'tthought about what you said, it being one of the witessing tools to the millions of people in the near end times. good thinking... it just might be. hmm..
oh! what did you think about, when they were beating Jesus and satan was walking thru the crowd and he had that baby in his arms but it had the face of a man. i heard a couple things but what'd you think?
hope to hear back from you and everyone else. are we the only ones who've seen it?? [Smile] surely not.
adios!

--------------------
Knowing what you stand for limits what you will fall for.

Have a splendid day!

Posts: 19 | From: tx | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mohawk:
Hey David

I don't think I've seen that one. Is it out on video?

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?event=AFF&p=1010849&item_no=638612

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mohawk
Advanced Member
Member # 2898

Icon 19 posted      Profile for mohawk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoops, David... sorry

That was a Missionary you were quoting, as having witnessed the Muslims responding to "Passion Of Christ." I misread it, and thought you were referring to yourself. My bad.

mohawk
Advanced Member
Member # 2898

Icon 6 posted      Profile for mohawk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey David

I don't think I've seen that one. Is it out on video?

Speaking further of "Passion..."

I read your recent post concerning the Muslims who witnessed the film, and you said that more of them had been witnessed to by one screening of "Passion" than you had reached in 5 years. That's mindblowing.

I have a question I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on:

The Book says that toward the conclusion of the age, the whole world will have heard the Gospel message (and I presume made a decision regarding it, one way or another). Do you think Mel Gibson has become a tool of God's divine time-table by producing this film? You said yourself it is becoming one of the most watched films of all time... it is certainly bringing a message of Christ to people all over the globe!

God sometimes advances His plan in the most surprising ways--is "Passion" fulfilling prophecy? Just an idea.

Rob

KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 16 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with you, this should be a good thread. I love to watch christian movies.

Have you seen "Mercy Streets" it is one of my favorite movies. It is very well done and full of suspense.

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mohawk
Advanced Member
Member # 2898

This should be a huge discussion group, yet no one is here, it seems. Let's change that.

The topic that should be holding court here is Mel Gibson's film "The Passion Of The Christ."

A few points:

1. I saw the film about a month ago. I am not the type who is swayed by gore effects--in and of themselves they are not impressive to me. It is the context in which they are presented, that makes an impact. I exited the theater overwhelmed. I had endured all the torture scenes, but was finally moved to doubt whether or not i could make it to the finale when Mary races to see Jesus as He passes by carrying the cross--there is a flashback to when He is a small boy and Mary rushes to help Him as he stumbles--then it flashes forward again to the present as Jesus falls beneath the weight of the crucifix, and as Mary finally makes it to Him, He utters "See Mother how I make all things new again."

That hit me like a ton of bricks, despite all the gruesome scenes that had come before it.

The best review I have read of the film was written by Roger Ebert--a guy I usually think is overrated. I urge everyone to find it on Ebert's web-page (accessible on the Drudge Report site) and read it.

The bottom line is: The most talked-about, highest grossing film of all time... is a film about our Lord Jesus. Doesn't anyone have something to say about that?

2. As perhaps a few of you know who have seen my posts, I am in the performing arts--I am an actor, and gradually I am getting back to stand-up comedy, but that's another story.

I attended a Christian Film Festival about 3 years ago and am still impressed by the number of Christian/Family Oriented feature films there are out there. (Enough to have a film festival with, at any rate). They all aren't biblical films--some simply espouse decent values through their storylines and character portrayals. Some are very similar to secular feature films playing at the multi-plex, only they have a Christian undertone.

Anyway, while I was at this festival, I met a director of a film that was playing--one of the "Left Behind" series. I talked to him about auditioning for him, but never heard back.

Is this a neglected area that needs light shed on it? Christian Actors, who would love to make at least one movie (or maybe many) in their careers that puts the Gospel in people's laps. Are there any audition/networking channels to follow? Any links to click that should be publicized? Is there a Christian Spielberg out there about to begin production on another epic, and needs actors, crew, etc.??? That would be an incredible "ministry" for Christian performers to undertake (and non-Christian if necessary--there is plenty of room at God's table, and perhaps they would accept a witnessing if it comes from a fellow artist??)

Can I get a discussion/commentary/argument going here? I think this is a great field to explore. I await your response.

Any Christian performers out there? We can chat in private and swap war stories.

Thanks.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement