Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » Christian Video Clips, Movies , Church Webs TV   » Star Wars IS a christian movie.

Author Topic: Star Wars IS a christian movie.
Gramajo320
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Star War trilogies are about good fighting evil and how the good defeats evil! No one is claiming that it's a christian movie. It's just all about the "ideal" of the good defeating the evil! I enjoyed them very much!

In Christ's love,
Gramajo 320

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeshua said love not this world, nor the things in this world.

That is a pretty plain statement.

Many seek to call the things of this world Christian in hopes that enjoying them makes it OK. Not so!

That which is produced to entertain this world, can never be expectable for a believer.

But then Yeshua did also say many in that day would say Lord, Lord, only to be told to depart from me you workers of iniquity.

The heart of a True child of Yahweh will gravitate toward the things of Yahweh, just as a magnet only attracts certain materials.

If you are being drawn toward the thing of this world, you may need to follow the Apostle Paul's challenge and examine yourself and see if you truly are in the faith?

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gramajo320
unregistered

Favorminded,

How very true and very well stated! I also have really enjoyed the Star War trilogies! Anyone who has seen them knows they're about good fighting evil and good always prevails!

God bless you!

In Christ's love,
Gramajo 320

Favor Minded
unregistered

Science Fiction is great. I have always been a Star Trek fan, Star Wars, etc.

Christian, not at all. Deceiving or deceptive, hardly -

How could anyone perceive Star Wars and deceiving and AntiChrist?

Just because a movie is not Christian or does not proclaim the Gospel does not mean it is a bad movie nor does it mean you are sinning to watch it.

God did not intend for us to lead legalistic Anti Fun lives. Entertainment is ok to have and do.

God actually intended for us to have fun - And enjoying a good sci fi is far from evil unless it was intended to be...

Gramajo320
unregistered

Favorminded,

I totally agree with your posting! Amen and God bless you always!

In Christ's love,
Gramajo 320

Servant
Advanced Member
Member # 1795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Servant     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
STAR WARS is not Christian. That is pretty plain.

But lets take it a step farther,
is it okay for a Christian to watch star wars.

Jesus told us to look out for false antiChrists. "the force" could be a false interpretation of Christ. I mean its really deceptive

Anyone agree?

--------------------
PHIL 2:15 That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;

Posts: 59 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhiteEagle
Advanced Member
Member # 3728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhiteEagle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never felt Star Wars was based on Christian concepts at all. The Force is something that is within the person using it, and in all the universe. It's an impersonal energy. The force can be used for good or evil. That's not our God.

It seems to be teaching New Age concepts more than Christian. Star Wars shows how the characters rely on a New Age philosophy to guide them.

Posts: 1392 | From: Maine | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mohawk
Advanced Member
Member # 2898

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mohawk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that George Lucas was somewhat a disciple of the writer Joseph Campbell, who wrote "The Hero With A Thousand Faces." The Star Wars films (definitely the original first film) uses Campbell's philosophies to derive its plot. Campbell was decidedly anti-Christian and considered the story of Jesus just another retelling of the same heroic legends that occur in every civilization's mythologies.

One big difference is that Jesus's story is not myth, but documented history. I think the Campbell connection would classify the Star Wars series as secular.

If someone comes to Christ, however, because of a Christian message that utilizes a Star Wars related starting point... who am I to scoff. Praise seeing the Lord at work, no matter in what form it appears.

Posts: 223 | From: california | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lunarius
Advanced Member
Member # 4205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lunarius     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have heard this discussion so many times. Obviously the Star Wars films' underlying theme is good versus evil, but this concept applies to, well, pretty much every film ever made - popular or not.

Good vs. evil in SOME form is THE age old story and therefore it is the one that has been used in movies the most - even more than the theme of love! Makers of movies would not have a movie without a conflict (conflict + context = film) Isn't that the formula? Star Wars is no different. Unless George Lucas did specifically say that he wanted to incorporate certain elements of the Christian faith into these classic films, I still consider it good sci-fi fantasy.

--------------------
"Life is a song, love is the music"

Posts: 133 | From: Alabama (currently) | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Favor Minded
unregistered

I am very much a SCI Fi Fan - I love the Star Wars movies. GREAT STuff!

The ONLY Christian in them would be the ideal -

They have a profound faith in the "Force" -

They believe in it guiding their every move, and believe it will always come through in EVERY situation -

For the discerning Christian - While this is not intended to depict Christianity, it certainly depicts how a Christian SHOULD have faith -

Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool, the force be with you....! Wow, as the world turn everyday. In one occasion I was listening to a talk show on the am dial and it was about playboy girls “christian” expanding the force..! You know this kind of actions God allowed to their own destruction.

1 John 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

--------------------
Romans 9:11-24

Our Eschatology may vary even our Ecclesiology may be disputed among us but our Soteriology most assume a singularity and exclusivity which in biblical term is known as Quote; "The Narrow Way" and Quote!

Posts: 2792 | From: Stockton,Ca | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theambassador
Community Member
Member # 4178

Icon 1 posted      Profile for theambassador   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The force- a universal energy field that everything is a part of
Where have I heard that??????
Oh yeah! Learning about eastern religions in World cultures.

--------------------
In Christ,
The Ambassador
http://www.thetcfc.com

Posts: 8 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaptainChurch
Advanced Member
Member # 2751

Icon 3 posted      Profile for CaptainChurch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many times, in the first Star Wars series, a "gold mine" for George Lucas, Obi-wan (the deceased Alec Guiness) says to Luke "trust your feelings", over & over again. Since we can be easily misled in our soul by satan & company, our feelings and emotions are the LAST thing we should trust, if ever! [Feelings & emotions were designed by God to come at the "END" of something to show us if we did the right thing or not, but NEVER "the caboose at the front of the train", so to speak, where feelings & emotions are our 'guide'.....the "engine", the H.S., of God's leading goes there, as any train-man will tell you. An "instinct" for something is better, but we should trust only the new spirit-nature indwelled by the Holy Spirit and soaked by His word from scripture! [We are not vulnerable to the enemy ONLY in our H.S. indwelled-spirit; our "soul", which IS vulnerable, contains: heart, mind, intelligence, thoughts, feelings, emotions, will, human-spirit {courage, intensity, etc.}, imagination and conscience.] The best defense is 2Corinthians 10:5-b "Hold EVERY thought captive and make it obedient to Christ", like putting an editor in your head, checking out everything before the thought continues to fantasy, or becomes a word or action that you can't take back. It's one of the main operational verses for a real Christian's spiritual growth, and with the practice of a few second's restraint, lets you also obey James 1:19 naturally!

--------------------
Captain Church

Posts: 36 | From: Stevens Point, WI | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 2 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No doubt, it is NOT a Christian move.

[type]

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msl
Advanced Member
Member # 1554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for msl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
george lucas has very strong buddist beliefs and has stated that has flavored the film, so we are on shaky ground to consider this a christian movie
Posts: 57 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck_Slotter
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by wparr:
How can it be a Christian movie without ANY mention of Christ.

I remember seeing the bumpers that said,"May the Force be with you. And that force is Jesus Christ". It was a good idea but theologically incorrect. Most of the non-Christians who saw the movie didn't accept the bumper sticker.

Some people see the conflict between good and evil as a tug-of-war with God on one side and Satan on the other. In their view, God will slowly pull satan accross the middle and the tug-of-war will be over. The problem with this view is that God is creator and Satan is created. Satan is only a cherub. God is omnipotent and Satan is not. God can be in more than once place and Satan can't. There are no Spirits equal to the Holy Spirit and there is no unholy spirit equal to the Holy Spirit.

wparr
Advanced Member
Member # 891

Icon 13 posted      Profile for wparr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How can it be a Christian movie without ANY mention of Christ.

Just because a movie portrays good versus evil does not make it Christian.

If it is Christian then why is "the force" reconized as a religion in U.K. and Austraila??

It is a good movie though.

Is touched by and angel T.V. show Christian because it has angels? NOT (unfortunately alot of undiscerning Christian bookstores sell the tapes)

Posts: 1203 | From: Eagle Nest, NM | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
limey boosk,

I would not concider Star Wars as a Christian movie. But I do know that God using secular movie producer to get his message to the secular crowd. I did not think this to be true at first, but I met the author of the "Movie Glimpse" website and she explained to me more about this. You can read about it at:

http://www.movieglimpse.com/

see the one about Star Wars at this URL:

http://www.movieglimpse.com/movies/starwars1&2.htm

There are some very thought provoking insights on this subject.

This is also a wonderful way to be able to get an open door to share the good news of the Gospel of Jesus Christ with someone talking about a secular movie.

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck_Slotter
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by limey boosk:
Its good versus evil. Luke Skywalker, Chewbacca, Princess Leia are ALL Christians. Darth Vader, Darth Maul and the Emporer are all representative of evil.

Its a great film. Anyone else care to comment?

My only comments is that Christians have confused the "force" in Star Wars with the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is a person, posesses all the attributes of God, can be grieved, can be lied to, etc. The Holy Spirit is the Third Person in the Trinity and is not something which you control because it is; "Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, sayeth the Lord of hosts." (Zechariah 4:6)

The "Force" in Star Wars resembles the Chi force in Eastern Religions like Buddhism and there are two sides of the force which are light and darkness. The Holy Spirit has nothing but light in Him. There is no Sin in the Holy Spirit and there is no other God which could be a Holy Spirit. The little god of this world is Satan and satan is a created being. Satan is a cherub and not a trinity like God is. The "Force" in Star Wars represents the Ying Yang concept of Good and Evil in eastern religions.

I wouldn't spend much time on it and it isn't worth yelling about but the chi force in star wars resembles an impersonal force that a jedi wields. In Star Wars the characters re-appear after death and that is different than Biblical Christianity because there is a gulf that seperates the living and the dead and that gulf is controlled by God.

limey boosk
Community Member
Member # 1866

Icon 16 posted      Profile for limey boosk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its good versus evil. Luke Skywalker, Chewbacca, Princess Leia are ALL Christians. Darth Vader, Darth Maul and the Emporer are all representative of evil.

Its a great film. Anyone else care to comment?

Posts: 11 | From: England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement