Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » Christian Video Clips, Movies , Church Webs TV   » Mel Gibson's new movie "The Passion"

Author Topic: Mel Gibson's new movie "The Passion"
borntwice
Advanced Member
Member # 2761

Icon 1 posted      Profile for borntwice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MEL GIBSON'S "THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST" UPDATE
If you wish to no longer receive these announcements, please visit:
http://www.passion-movie.com/english/unsubscribe.asp
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THANK YOU AGAIN!
Again, we wish thank the many supporters of Mel Gibson's "The Passion of The Christ"! Your dedication and enthusiasm are proving to be very effective.

RELEASE DATES - LESS THAN 17 DAYS FOR MANY COUNTRIES!
We have official and "rumored" release dates for more countries. As you know, the US release date is February 25, 2004. Here is what else we now know: Canada, Australia, and New Zealand are scheduled for February 25, 2004 as well. The film is scheduled to open in the UK and Ireland on March 26, 2004. We have heard rumors that it will open in Mexico and Latin America sometime in April. As we find out more release dates, we'll let you know and also have it posted on our website.

WILL IT PLAY IN YOUR AREA?!
MANY of you have asked us if the film is going to be playing in your area. We now have a resource for those living in the US. Visit the below link and click on "FIND OUT HOW FAR THE CLOSEST THEATER IS." It is actually the form to order advance tickets; however, you can actually use it to find how many miles away the closest theater showing the film is! You just enter in your name and address information (no billing info required) and it will then tell you how many miles away the closest theater is. If a theater showing the film is close, we encourage you to consider the purchase of advance tickets. This is the best way to show your support for the film. A man in Texas bought 6,000 advance tickets for his church and friends and another large Church recently purchased 30,000 advance tickets (there are even rumors one group even secured 100,000 tickets). Advance tickets are a great way to show your support! To find the distance to the closest theater and to order advance tickets, visit the below link:

http://www.passion-movie.com/english/tickets.html

WHAT IF IT IS NOT PLAYING IN MY AREA?!
Regretfully, there are a few places in the US where the closest theater showing the film may be over 100 miles away. What can you do if this happens other than driving those 100 miles away to see the film? We have two suggestions. First, we suggest you call your local theater and ask them to consider carrying the film and tell your friends in your area to do the same. This makes the theater owner consider carrying it if he's convinced enough people will really come out to see the film. You can also use the petition on our website that has already proven to be very effective for many people, especially when sponsored by a church. That petition can be found here:

http://www.passion-movie.com/promote/petition.html

QUESTIONS ABOUT ADVANCE TICKETS
Some of you in the US had additional questions about the advance ticket program, so we have added a "Common Ticket Questions" section to our website. That can be found here:

http://www.passion-movie.com/english/tickets2.html

CAN I SEND MEL GIBSON A MESSAGE OF ENCOURAGMENT?
Yes! Many of you had asked and even sent us messages of encouragment for Mel Gibson. There is now a web page setup specifically for you to send him a message of support. We encourage you to show your support this way as well. Click here for more details:

http://www.passion-movie.com/english/thanks_MEL.html

GIBSON TO APPEAR ON US's ABC PRIMETIME
For those in the US, you now have a chance to see Mel Gibson interviewed about "The Passion of the Christ." Gibson has done very little, if any, interviews regarding the film, so this should be very insightful. Diane Sawyer will interview Mel Gibson and it will air on a special edition of "Primetime," in which Mel Gibson will address the controversy surrounding the film. The interview will air on Monday, February 16 from 10:00-11:00pm ET (9:00 p.m. CT.) on the ABC Television Network. This will air only 9 days before the film is released!

MORE NEWS AND FAQ's!
The film has received its official rating in the US and it will be rated R. Many of you have asked why it would be rated R inquiring if the film contained nudity or foul language. Please visit our FAQ section for all the details. Is the Anti-Defamation League (the grouping leading the anti-semitism claims) actually helping "The Passion of The Christ"? Did Jewish groups in Australia give an "OK" to the film? Did Mel Gibson cut a scene from the film to appease the anti-defamation claims? Is it true that some prints of the film with have Spanish sub-titles for select theaters in the US? For the answers to these questions and many more, please visit our NEWS and FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions):

NEWS - http://www.passion-movie.com/english/news.asp

FAQ - http://www.passion-movie.com/english/faq.html

HOW CAN I SUPPORT "The Passion of The Christ"
Many of you ask us, "What else can I do to help promote Mel Gibson's "The Passion of The Christ"?" We have even more tools available to you now. To start, please check out our "Promote Passion" section of our website for the latest:

http://www.passion-movie.com/english/support.html

WANT TO SPONSOR A PASSION TV TRAILER COMMERCIAL?

A POWERFUL way to help promote the film and your church or business is by sponsoring a "The Passion of The Christ" TV trailer. (If you live in the US, this service is available to you.) The commercials are designed for churches, Christian businesses and individuals who want to partner with this movie event. It is designed to build a bridge from the theater to the local church or Christian business and to drive viewers to the theater to see the film. For more information, please visit:

http://www.passioncommercial.com/

FREE POSTERS, POSTCARDS, DOOR HANGERS AND MORE!

FREE Posters, Door Hangers, Buck Slips, Postcards and more! Yes, these latest materials are FREE - you only pay for shipping and handling. They are not only powerful, but they are also great in helping to promote awareness of the film. (US only)

http://www.passion-movie.com/english/store2.html

WEB LINKS AND FLYERS

You can help promote awareness about the film and the availability advance ticket sales. We now have new and updated web banners. We also have flyers that you can print out on your own printer for promotional purposes as well. Also, check out our new "Flash Countdown Banner". It counts down the days, hours, and seconds until the release date on February 25, 2004!

http://www.passion-movie.com/promote/banner2.html

MOVIE SOUNDTRACK AVAILABLE

John Debney was chosen to compose the music for this amazing and moving soundtrack. John Debney has lengthy portfolio of soundtracks including Bruce Almighty (ironic?), Elf, The Tuxedo, Spy Kids 2: Island of Lost Dreams, Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius, End of Days, I Know What You Did Last Summer, and many many more. The soundtrack is now available for pre-order. We have more information about the soundtrack and even have samples of it for you to hear. It is truly inspiring and is the perfect compliment to Mel Gibson's stunning visuals. Click the below link for more details, hear samples, and to pre-order your copy today:

http://www.passion-movie.com/promote/soundtrack.html

WHAT BOOK INSPIRED MEL GIBSON?

Mel Gibson was inspired to make the film because of a book that he accidentally stumbled upon. The book is called "The Dolorous Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ." To find out more about the book and to order it, please visit our website. We even have an audio quote of him talking about the book and how he first came to think about making the film over 10 years ago:

http://www.passion-movie.com/promote/book.html

NEW OFFICIAL "THE PASSION" BOOK

"THE PASSION" BOOK is 160 pages long and is FILLED with pictures from Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ". The book is a visual portrayal of the last twelve hours in the life of Jesus using gripping photos. This will be the public's first chance to get a glimpse at the film! This book has arrived and may ship as early as the week of February 9th to 13th. The book contains a lengthy and insightful foreword by Mel Gibson. Click here to see some of the photos, and you can even read an excerpt from Mel Gibson's foreword. These already going fast so reserve your copy today! (US only)

http://www.passion-movie.com/promote/passion_book.html

100 QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS - A GUIDE TO THE PASSION BOOK

There is no doubt that many questions will be raised by Mel Gibson's powerful film by believers and non-believers. This new book provides an insightful scene-by-scene analysis of the film using 100 questions and answers that will enrich the movie going experience and lead seekers to a deeper faith in Christ. For more information, click the link below:

http://www.passion-movie.com/promote/passion_guide.html
[clap2]

Posts: 91 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msl
Advanced Member
Member # 1554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for msl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i too have seen teh rough version and can say that it is bibliv\cally sound, it represents the story of Jesus honestly..it is very realistic in showing the beatings he took for us...but it is a tool...it doesn't lay it all out there, it simply shows what he endured...as Christians we then need to take the opportunity to lay out the entire gospel and explain WHY He did what he did for us.
Posts: 57 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 16 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More info on The Passion Movie

Hello friends and family,

I wanted to share with you that we were able to attend a private screening of the new Mel Gibson film titled "The Passion Of The Christ" this past Monday night. We unexpectedly got on the list to go and view it at First Baptist Church, Hendersonville, TN. Neither of us were really prepared for what we viewed. It's really hard to find the words to tell you how life-changing this film was for both of us.

First of all, Nathan and I felt completely out of place. We got in somehow through Don Donahue (thankyou Don) but most of the crowd was the Country Music Industry...artists, radio and press. Ricky Scaggs sort of hosted the event.

This movie changed our lives forever. The room was full of the sound of weeping and loud sobbing, including our own. I told Nathan on the way home that I only wish that I would have seen it as a young teen.

It is so fitting that the whole movie begins with a black screen with the text of Isaiah 53:5, "But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities , the chastisement for our peace was upon Him, and by His stripes we are healed".

I've attached an e-mail below from Lisa who attended the viewing as well. She very beautifully describes the experience of viewing the film and then getting to have a question and answer time with Mel Gibson himself. (PLEASE take time to read it because she goes into great detail about the Q & A time that we had with Mel...it was so cool.)

The room was silent as the movie ended and even as Mel walked down the isle of the chapel people remained completely stunned by the film. After he was formally introduced, everyone stood and applauded him loudly. He so graciously answered each question, and was very candid with us. It was very apparent, though there was a huge absence of "christian lingo" coming from his mouth (breath of fresh air...thank you) that he has a deep relationship with God, he believes that Jesus is the Messiah, and that he's coming back to get his people.

Mel and his small band of believers around him are asking the church to take on a "grass roots" approach to this film. They are asking us to tell everyone we know about it... They are wanting artists to show the DVD trailer at concerts, to do pre-sales on tickets through churches and FOR EVERYONE TO GO SEE IT OPENING WEEK! It really does matter that you go the first 2 weeks of opening which is FEB.25TH. It is so important!! THIS MOVIE IS LIFE-CHANGING AND I PROMISE YOU IT IS ANOINTED BY THE SPIRIT OF GOD. THIS MOVIE WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE.

I fell in love with Jesus on Monday night. Either for the first time, or all over again. It is so amazing that the same King who endured that cross and was broken for me, lives inside of me! I am in Him and He is in me. I cannot wait until Noah and Elliana are young teens so that we can let them view this movie.

Please pray for Mel Gibson. Pray for protection for he and his family. Pray that God would pour back on him 100 fold what he spent on this movie so that MORE MOVIES LIKE THIS CAN BE MADE! He spoke about the major warfare that has been going on over this movie. He also told us about several miracles and conversions that happened throughout the making of this film. (Lisa tells about these in the letter below) So amazing...

Anyway, we just wanted you to know about this so that you can have a huge part in the success of this film! Lisa gives out the website info as well below. You can put a link to it on your website and you can also request promotional materials from their website as well.

Blessings to all of you in the name of our Lord!
Christy
(E-mail from Lisa is below)

-------------------------------------------
Hey friends and family,
Last night I attended a private screening of Mel Gibson's movie ....12/8/2003, at Ricky Skaggs' church in Hendersonville. I attended with Bonnie and Brent King. There were about 200 people in attendance.

Well,....let me just say that I am speechless, moved beyond words and sobered by what I saw last night. I'm sure many of you will be receiving emails from some of your friends who were there as well...and you'll probably be bombarded with their own personal stories..

There were many country artists as well as Christian artists there, along side some radio and press folks.

The movie was in a rough cut version...but still I thought a very finished state,...special effects had not been added yet, nor was the music complete.... still it brought uncontrollable weeping from everyone.. I couldn't stop crying through the whole movie. And when the movie was over, there was complete silence in the church.. I wanted the story to go on and on...for another two hours.... I think the movie was about 2 hours long. It got started late, like around 7:30, and the next time I looked at my watch it was 10:30... so I actually don't even remember. There was a question and answer time with Mel Gibson himself, so who cared what time it was. Every moment of the movie was captivating, ..breathtaking....still there are no words.

The beating and suffering of Christ was almost unbearable to watch. The scenes with flashbacks of Jesus when he was a little boy and a scene of his mother running to comfort him and then cradling him in her arms after he had fallen down about the age of 4 or 5.....was interlaced with scenes of him falling to the ground carrying his own cross, so bloody and unrecognizable...and then her holding him in her arms after he had been taken down from the cross. Her face then stared into the camera while she was holding him...and you could just imagine the things she was thinking. Every parent who was seated near me ... fell apart.

The nails being hammered into his hands was the most real thing I had ever seen. One scene of Jesus and the interaction with his mother...just reminded me of every 20-year old man/child and mom relationship. Where she's trying to get him to come to eat...and has to remind him to wash his hands before eating...she brings water to wash his hands..and after washing, he gently splashes water on his mother..but then wraps his arms around her and kisses her on the cheek....and takes off running to the food.. I don't know..it just reminded me of something my 15 year old Cody would do to me..... And the thought of one of my boys going through that, just made me want to die inside...

Anyway... I could go on and on....but I truly have no words....as you can tell by the book i'm writing here....haa There was a question and answer period last night with Mel himself. We had heard rumors that he's been showing up to these screenings. I got brave enough to put my hand up and ask a question about the miracles that we had heard about, on the set. And he began to talk about so many I couldn't really keep track. I remember hearing about one of the actors being hit by lightning twice yet walking away from it..with only smoking fingertips, healings , conversions on the set,..but I especially remember him talking about a Two-year old child's, hearing and sight being restored...and he said...you know you can't fake that when you're two. So we know it was real.

He was asked about Spiritual warfare on the set...and he just laughingly said..."Oh yeah..just being in Italy alone was enough warfare,..but he said it was intense.

He said that the bad press surrounding the movie..is just a few small pressure groups that are causing all the noise. But seem to have the loudest mouths. And that became the reason for having these small private screenings..is to get the word out and to start a grass roots campaign into a swell. WOW....that sounds familiar. We all get the chance to be Christ's disciples all over again, in a fresh new way...

Ricky Skaggs asked the final question of the night to Mel.....about how we can pray for him, help him, spread the word etc. He said that "prayer was the most powerful thing. And not to pray for all our enemies to have warts grow on their faces, (laughter), but to pray for our warring angels to fight against satan's angels, because the people don't know any better, they are clueless...and they are just being used by satan."

It was mentioned to everyone in the crowd who were artists, press folks, radio..and such..anyone who had a website...to get on a mailing list and sign up. That they would be sending links, so that everyone could put it on their websites,...there would be movie trailers that artists could take on tour with them, show at concerts....any type of promo material on product tables etc.

They passed out a poster flyer last night as we left...and the official website address is

http://www.thepassionofthechrist.com
This is the address they have on all promo materials for the movie.

It was a little easier to see the trailer on this site....as it was equipped for all computers video capabilities. You can go to this website and register to find out more info on how to help. This other site that is listed will just give you more info on press stuff and more press on the miracles that happened.

http://www.passion-movie.com (fan site)

The movie comes out February 25, 2004.. Ash Wednesday...in theaters nationwide. And the movie's official title is The Passion of the Christ. Mel said that he spent 35 million of his own money to make this movie.

Mel,.. I have to say is a man of the word! He knows the Bible..and is a sold-out believer. He said that this movie has been his passion for the past 12 years....just 3 years ago did the Lord begin to give him landmark signs that now was the time to start filming the movie. He mentioned some of them...but one that stuck in my mind, was him saying that some random little old lady in France I think...came up to him and said something to him that nobody could've known, I don't know what she said to him..but he said the signs to get started on it, were unmistakable.

Ok....well...I know that I am changed...and I pray that what I saw will be etched on my brain forever...and Lord, help me to never forget the price you paid for us all. Whenever I begin to argue, or complain....shut my mouth Lord. And help us all to remember,...we are not home yet...that heaven awaits all of us who believe in Him....and that we all have a part to play, a heart to share, a burden to carry...and a story of love and hope to spread....

Thank you for the cross LORD! Make it a point to take your entire family to this movie!!!! I love you all....and have a blessed Christmas holiday if I don't see or talk to any of you before then... Lisa

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 14 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There has been so much controversy about this new film by Mel Gibson portraying the last days of Jesus. I think the letter below says much to discredit the arguments about it being anti-semetic. I recieved this from a good (Jewish Believer) friend and am inclined to agree that this film is definitely worth seeing! I hope you will all check it out when it's released!

In Messiah's Love,
Debbie
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Subject: "The Passion"

This is worth the read with all the hype this film is getting:

Keith A. Fournier is a constitutional lawyer and a graduate of the John Paul II Institute of the Lateran University, Franciscan University and the University of Pittsburgh. He holds degrees in Philosophy, theology and law.

He has been a champion of religious liberty and appeared as co-counsel in major cases at the United States Supreme Court. He is the author of seven books and, along with his law practice, serves as the president of both the "Your Catholic Voice Foundation" and "Common Good".

________________Read what he wrote_______________

I really did not know what to expect. I was thrilled to have been invited to a private viewing of Mel Gibson's film "The Passion," but I had also read all the cautious articles and spin.

I grew up in a Jewish town and owe much of my own faith journey to the influence. I have a life long, deeply held aversion to anything that might even indirectly encourage any form of anti-Semitic thought, language or actions. I arrived at the private viewing for "The Passion", held in Washington D.C. and greeted some familiar faces. The environment was typically Washingtonian, with people greeting you with a smile but seeming to look beyond you, having an agenda beyond the words.

The film was very briefly introduced, without fanfare, and then the room darkened. From the gripping opening scene in the Garden of Gethsemane, to the very human and tender portrayal of the earthly ministry of Jesus, through the betrayal, the arrest, the scourging, the way of the cross, the encounter with the thieves, the surrender on the Cross, until the final scene in the empty tomb, this was not simply a movie; it was an encounter, unlike anything I have ever experienced.

In addition to being a masterpiece of film-making and an artistic triumph, "The Passion" evoked more deep reflection, sorrow and emotional reaction within me than anything since my wedding, my ordination or the birth of my children. Frankly, I will never be the same.

When the film concluded, this "invitation only" gathering of "movers and shakers" in Washington, D.C. were shaking indeed, but this time from sobbing. I am not sure there was a dry eye in the place. The crowd that had been glad-handing before the film was now eerily silent. No one could speak because words were woefully inadequate. We had experienced a kind of art that is a rarity in life, the kind that makes heaven touch earth.

One scene in the film has now been forever etched in my mind. A brutalized, wounded Jesus was soon to fall again under the weight of the cross. His mother had made her way along the Via Della Rosa. As she ran to him, she flashed back to a memory of Jesus as a child, falling in the dirt road outside of their home. Just as she reached to protect him from the fall, she was now reaching to touch his wounded adult face. Jesus looked at her with intensely probing and passionately loving eyes (and at all of us through the screen) and said "Behold I make all things new." These are words taken from the last Book of the New Testament, the Book of Revelation.

Suddenly, the purpose of the pain was so clear and the wounds, that earlier in the film had been so difficult to see in His face, His back, indeed all over His body, became intensely beautiful. They had been borne voluntarily for love.

At the end of the film, after we had all had a chance to recover, a question and answer period ensued. The unanimous praise for the film, from a rather diverse crowd, was as astounding as the compliments were effusive. The questions included the one question that seems to follow this film, even though it has not yet even been released.

"Why is this film considered by some to be "anti-Semitic?" Frankly, having now experienced (you do not "view" this film) "the Passion", it is a question that is impossible to answer. A law professor whom I admire sat in front of me. He raised his hand and responded "After watching this film, I do not understand how anyone can insinuate that it even remotely presents that the Jews killed Jesus. It doesn't." He continued "It made me realize that my sins killed Jesus" I agree.

There is not a scintilla of anti-Semitism to be found anywhere in this powerful film. If there were, I would be among the first to decry it. It faithfully tells the Gospel story in a practically beautiful, sensitive and profoundly engaging way. Those who are alleging otherwise have either not seen the film or have another agenda behind their protestations.

This is not a "Christian" film, in the sense that it will appeal only to those who identify themselves as followers of Jesus Christ. It is a deeply human, beautiful story that will deeply touch all men and women. It is a profound work of art. Yes, its producer is a Catholic Christian and thankfully has remained faithful to the Gospel text; if that is no longer acceptable behavior then we are all in trouble.

History demands that we remain faithful to the story and Christians have a right to tell it.

After all, we believe that it is the greatest story ever told and that its message is for all men and women. The greatest right is the right to hear the truth.

We would all be well advised to remember that the Gospel narratives to which "The Passion" is so faithful were written by Jewish men who followed a Jewish Rabbi whose life and teaching have forever changed the history of the world. The problem is not the message but those who have distorted it and used it for hate rather than love. The solution is not to censor the message, but rather to promote the kind of gift of love that is Mel Gibson's filmmaking masterpiece, "The Passion". It should be seen by as many people as possible. I intend to do everything I can to make sure that is the case. I am passionate about "the Passion." You will be as well. Don't miss it.

And, I would like to add these thoughts. This film is going to receive more scrutiny and be the focus of more public debate than any film EVER.

The argument that this film is anti-Semitic will be played 1000's of time a day in every household across America...across the world. To me...a most crucial "discovery" of this man's "experience" is the reality that "my sins killed Jesus." The full weight of this truth is enormous! What an opportunity for millions and millions of people to "discover" this through the film. So.....I encourage you to think carefully about how you're going to respond to the "debate" because there will be one. It's a great opportunity to witness about what it means to be a Christian....and nowhere is it appropriate or biblical to point a finger at the Jewish race. To do so is to stand squarely in His face and say...."You died for nothing!"

Please pass this along to your Christian friends and family....to those that will truly understand the message....so that they can be prepared to respond in such a way that bears a positive witness to Jesus' death and resurrection.

--------------------
Psalm 119:104Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. 105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Posts: 3465 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement