Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » Should we go when asked?

Author Topic: Should we go when asked?
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2 Tim. 2:
19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.
20 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour.
21 If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.
22 Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.
23 But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes.
24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,
25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;
26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

2 Tim. 3:
14 But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them;
15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

The only righteousness we possess is Christ within us. Through the spirit of adoption we become the sons of God, and we appear before the Throne of God clothed in the righteousness of Christ Jesus our Lord.

Were there elders raised up by God to lead and minister in the Church?

Is a pastor to lead the flock?

In 1 John 4 we are told to test/try the spirit to see if they are of God.

Ephesians 4:
11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:
16 From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.
17 This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind,
18 Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart:
19 Who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.
20 But ye have not so learned Christ;
21 If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:
22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bloodbought
Advanced Member
Member # 4365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bloodbought     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In reply to Caretaker, in the words of Bildad in Job 25:6, "man is a worm."

Man, like the worm, is a creature of the dust. He loves the dark and when he is exposed to the light he squirms to get back into the darkness and the muck and the mire of sin where he feels most comfortable. The worm is in constant danger of being trampled upon. The worm has no intelligence to do anything other than look after self interests in the earth and likewise man has no spiritual intelligence apart from the grace of God drawing him from darkness into light.

Christ humbled Himself to become a scarlet worm on our behalf.
Psalm 22:6–8
But I am a worm, and no man; A reproach of men, and despised of the people.
All they that see me laugh me to scorn: They shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying,
He trusted on the Lord that he would deliver him: Let him deliver him, seeing he delighted in him.

Christ lowered Himself to my level and I dare not raise myself to a higher level.
Praise God He has lifted me out of the muck and mire of sin and set my feet upon a rock.

As for spiritual gifts. I know nothing but Christ and Him crucified. I am totally dependent on Him for guidance.

My dilemma is not regarding divine guidance. My dilemma is regarding man dictating, not where to go, because if the need is there and the door is open thats fine.

But my question is, When man dictates what to do and how to do it, is that of the flesh or of the spirit?

Thank you Carol for your very encouraging post.

Posts: 822 | From: Ireland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bloodbought:
Thank you Caretaker,

Should we take a spiritual gift test?

Have you not already been "tested"?

1) By the one who is assembling the twelve, who is confident in your character and walk of faith.

2) By the Lord Who already knows your gifts and is the one opening the door of ministry, Who knows the path ahead, and is the One equipping you for the journey.

3) By yourself, who looks in the mirror each day, and knows your own heart and walk of faith better than anyone but the Master Himself.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exodus 4

10Then Moses said to the LORD, “Please, Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither recently nor in time past, nor since You have spoken to Your servant; for I am slow of speech and slow of tongue.” 11The LORD said to him, “Who has made man’s mouth? Or who makes him mute or deaf, or seeing or blind? Is it not I, the LORD? 12“Now then go, and I, even I, will be with your mouth, and teach you what you are to say.”

Luke 5

8But when Simon Peter saw that, he fell down at Jesus’ feet, saying, “Go away from me Lord, for I am a sinful man!” 9For amazement had seized him and all his companions because of the catch of fish which they had taken; 10and so also were James and John, sons of Zebedee, who were partners with Simon. And Jesus said to Simon, “Do not fear, from now on you will be catching men.” 11When they had brought their boats to land, they left everything and followed Him.

None of us are able or worthy on our own, but what the Lord asks of us He also enables us to do. It is His power working, not ours.

In fact, the Lord is likely to reject people who are proud and confident of their gifts. These people depend on their own abilities, their own gifts, instead of the wisdom of God.

1 Corinthians 1

26For consider your calling, brethren, that there were not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble; 27but God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to shame the things which are strong, 28and the base things of the world and the despised God has chosen, the things that are not, so that He may nullify the things that are, 29so that no man may boast before God. 30But by His doing you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification, and redemption, 31so that, just as it is written, “LET HIM WHO BOASTS, BOAST IN THE LORD.”

1 Corinthians 2

1And when I came to you, brethren, I did not come with superiority of speech or of wisdom, proclaiming to you the testimony of God. 2For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified. 3I was with you in weakness and in fear and in much trembling, 4and my message and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, 5so that your faith would not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God.

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bloodbought
Advanced Member
Member # 4365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bloodbought     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Caretaker,

Should we take a spiritual gift test?

Posts: 822 | From: Ireland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If God opens the door it will be wide open. If it is His will for you to go He will provide the tools needed to minister.

I would take it to Him in prayer, and let our own desires and ego be laid aside, and then if He confirms I would just trust and obey.

Dear Father we ask that You would move and minister for our Brother in Christ. We pray for answer for his questions, and that if it is Your will then we pray for confirmation, according to Your perfect will and eternal love for Your precious children, in Jesus' name. Thank You Abba.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:

Bloodbought
Advanced Member
Member # 4365

If we are asked by a man of God to join a twelve man team to do outreach, which entails different aspects of service, most of which we aren't gifted to do, should we thank God for the opportunity and accept it as His will to go and do what little we can, even is that be no more than the giving of a cup of cold water?

Or, should the twelve man team be the most gifted available?

Thank's.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement