Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » age of accountability

Author Topic: age of accountability
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Bible] [Cross] [Prayer]
quote:
Although it is possible that God applies Christ's payment for sin to those who cannot believe, the Bible does not specifically say that He does this. Therefore, this is a subject about which we should not be adamant or dogmatic. God’s applying Christ’s death to those who cannot believe would seem consistent with His love and mercy. It is our position that God applies Christ's payment for sin to young children and those who are mentally handicapped, since they were not mentally capable of understanding their sinful state and their need for the Savior, but again we cannot be dogmatic. Of this we are certain: God is loving, holy, merciful, just, and gracious. Whatever He does is always right and good.
this is a great responce.... [thumbsup2]

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From my notes:

quote:

God sends the children of the children of Israel into the land because
they did not have enough understanding to reject God. -- Deu 1:39
Moreover your little ones, which ye said should be a prey, and your
children, which in that day had no knowledge between good and
evil, they shall go in thither, and unto them will I give it, and they shall
possess it.
There is a time in life when a person does not receive the FULL
measure of the consequences of wrong doing. It is in childhood, where
understanding is being developed. Isa 7:16 For before the child shall
know to refuse the evil, and choose the good, the land that thou
abhorrest shall be forsaken of both her kings.

Unborn children and yes aborted children are not capable of doing right
or wrong and are there fore not culpable. Rom 9:11 For the children
being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, ... Now,
here is the real crux of the matter: If the dead will be judged in Rev
20:11-15 according to "their works," how can those who have no
knowledge of good or evil (infants, young children) and those who have
not yet done any "good or evil" (the unborn) be held accountable for their
lack of understanding?
Understanding the w-o-r-d-s of the law was necessary in the giving
and teaching of the law. Neh 8:2 And Ezra the priest brought the law
before the congregation both of men and women, and all that could
hear with understanding, upon the first day of the seventh month.
God does not require children to understand doctrine and doctrine is
necessary for redemption. Isa 28:9 Whom shall he teach knowledge?
and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned
from the milk, and drawn from the breasts. 10 For precept must be
upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a
little, and there a little:

James 4:17 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chrispy0515
Advanced Member
Member # 8717

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chrispy0515         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My personal belief is that all children have pure hearts and have not learned to be evil by their own doing if they are bad kids or troublemakers, therefore I don't believe they are held fully accountable for their actions especially babies or very small children.

--------------------
Taking Things One Day At A Time.

Posts: 38 | From: Tampa, Fl | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi teacup [wave3] Welcome to the Christian BBS!

No specific age is given in the Bible. Some people are handicapped and never reach an age when they are able to decide.

2 Samuel 12:21-23. The context of these verses is that King David committed adultery with Bathsheba, with a resulting pregnancy. The prophet Nathan was sent by the Lord to inform David that because of his sin, the Lord would take the child in death. David responded to this by grieving, mourning, and praying for the child. But once the child was taken, David's mourning ended. David's servants were surprised to hear this. They said to King David, “What is this thing that you have done? While the child was alive, you fasted and wept; but when the child died, you arose and ate food.” David's response was, “While the child was still alive, I fasted and wept; for I said, ‘Who knows, the LORD may be gracious to me, that the child may live.’ But now he has died; why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he will not return to me.” David's response indicates that those who cannot believe are safe in the Lord. David said that he could go to the child, but that he could not bring the child back to him. Also, and just as important, David seemed to be comforted over this. In other words, David seemed to be saying that he would see the child (in heaven), though he could not bring him back.

Although it is possible that God applies Christ's payment for sin to those who cannot believe, the Bible does not specifically say that He does this. Therefore, this is a subject about which we should not be adamant or dogmatic. God’s applying Christ’s death to those who cannot believe would seem consistent with His love and mercy. It is our position that God applies Christ's payment for sin to young children and those who are mentally handicapped, since they were not mentally capable of understanding their sinful state and their need for the Savior, but again we cannot be dogmatic. Of this we are certain: God is loving, holy, merciful, just, and gracious. Whatever He does is always right and good.

http://www.gotquestions.org/age-of-accountability.html

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
teacup
First Post
Member # 8710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for teacup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am looking for some scripture and I guess some interpretations of such on the age of accountability. What does God say about a non saved child/young teen dying and is there any hope that child is in Heaven?
Thanks for any help.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement