Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » Is “Topheth” the Hell Jesus spoke of?

Author Topic: Is “Topheth” the Hell Jesus spoke of?
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm enjoying this too.  - I even get carried away...sometimes.

I have a favorite translation I use for reading the Bible, but for Bible study I look at a verse in about ten different translations, and I use commentaries, lexicons, and Bible dictionaries to try to get the best understanding that I can. To me, it’s really helpful to study that way.

quote:
In these bible verses, Matthew 8:28-34, Mark 5:1-20, and Luke 8:26-33, it sounds like Jesus performed the very first exorcism!

Actually, His first was the exorcism at the synagogue in Capernaum, Mark 1:21-28 and Luke 4:31-37.

Jesus was not the first exorcist in His culture. They were common in His time. But their methods were not like His. Those who were possessed were often subject to days of beatings and verbal abuse in the attempt to drive out the spirit. Jesus simply commanded and they left! This was the cause of tremendous amazement because Jesus did with His word what others would nearly kill someone trying to accomplish. This manifestation of the authority of Jesus underlines His teaching authority, but most of all His identity as the Holy Son of God.

And if I am empowered by Satan, what about your own exorcists? They cast out demons, too, so they will condemn you for what you have said. (Matthew 12:27 NLT)

quote:
Purified by fire sounds like being “born again” in many cases. A personal hell i.e. scourging.
To be born again means to be regenerated by the Holy Spirit. A realization of our sinfulness causes us to turn to Christ for forgiveness and salvation, but after that the regeneration of the Holy Spirit is a positive experience for most people. We are loved, forgiven, adopted into His family. Whoa! I get thrilled all over again when I think about it!

You're absolutely right if you're talking about sanctification. Trials refine us for a future glory.

"And I will bring the third part through the fire, Refine them as silver is refined, And test them as gold is tested. They will call on My name, And I will answer them; I will say, 'They are My people,' And they will say, 'The LORD is my God.'" (Zechariah 13:9 NASB)

"These have come so that your faith--of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire--may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed." (1 Peter 1:7 NIV)

"Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline; therefore be zealous and repent." (Revelation 3:19 NASB)

quote:
Judaism does not believe in everlasting torment, but in a twelve month duration after which the soul is released and disintegrates.

Jesus taught more about hell than anyone else in the Word of God. Jesus described hell as an unquenchable fire (Matthew 3:12), a place of eternal fire, (Matthew 25:41) eternal punishment (Matthew 25:46), and as a place of torment, fire, and agony (Luke 16:23-24). Jesus taught specifically about hell many times in His ministry (Matthew 5:22, 29-30; 10:28; 18:9; 23:15,33; Mark 9:43-47; Luke 12:6; 16:23).

Almost 15% of the New Testament is on Judgment and hell, and half of the parables.

There are over 162 references in the New Testament that warn of Hell.

Over 70 of these references are attributed to Jesus.

To me, the very worst part about hell would be eternal separation from God. To be rejected by Love itself. Everything that is good, beautiful, nourishing, wholesome, and fulfilling all come from God. To be separated from Him would mean to never have love, health, peace, pleasure, friendship, or anything satisfying ever again. And to know that it would never end. No hope to be rescued; no hope to sleep and forget about it for awhile; no hope even to die and be done with it.

Abandon hope all ye who enter here

(Dante's Inferno)

But people can choose Life instead!!!

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life." (John 3:16)

“For if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved” (Romans 10:9-11).

“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ” (Ephesians 1:3)

[Cross] [Bible] [Prayer]

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlene
Advanced Member
Member # 8489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marlene     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your responses Carol. I enjoy chatting about these things. I've pondered the importance of my KJV Bible and have come to the conclusion that I like it very much, lol. It has my name written all over it [Smile] I would use other resources as a cross-reference though.

In these bible verses, Matthew 8:28-34, Mark 5:1-20, and Luke 8:26-33, it sounds like Jesus performed the very first exorcism!

Random thoughts on the direction my mind takes when I read those verses:

Shame, contempt and fire seem to be underlying themes of hell.

Purified by fire sounds like being “born again” in many cases. A personal hell i.e. scourging.

Judaism does not believe in everlasting torment, but in a twelve month duration after which the soul is released and disintegrates.

[spiny]

Posts: 32 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You asked

quote:
Does this point to different levels of hell?
I think maybe demons are in a "lower" part of hell, called the Abyss.

Matthew 8:28-34, Mark 5:1-20, and Luke 8:26-33 state that the demons were concerned about the time, as it was not the "appointed time." Luke discusses the demons concern about going into the "Abyss" (Luke 8:31).

Here are some Bible descriptions of hell.

Old Testament

Dan 12:2 "And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, Some to everlasting life, Some to shame and everlasting contempt. "

Isaiah 66:24 "“ And they shall go forth and look
Upon the corpses of the men
Who have transgressed against Me.
For their worm does not die,
And their fire is not quenched.
They shall be an abhorrence to all flesh.”

Isaiah 33:10-14 "“ Now I will rise,” says the LORD;
“ Now I will be exalted,
Now I will lift Myself up.
11 You shall conceive chaff,
You shall bring forth stubble;
Your breath, as fire, shall devour you.
12 And the people shall be like the burnings of lime;
Like thorns cut up they shall be burned in the fire.
13 Hear, you who are afar off, what I have done;
And you who are near, acknowledge My might.”
14 The sinners in Zion are afraid;
Fearfulness has seized the hypocrites:
“ Who among us shall dwell with the devouring fire?
Who among us shall dwell with everlasting burnings?” "

Isaiah 1:31 "The strong shall be as tinder,
And the work of it as a spark;
Both will burn together,
And no one shall quench them."

Psalm 21:8- 9 "Your hand will find all Your enemies;
Your right hand will find those who hate You.
9 You shall make them as a fiery oven in the time of Your anger;
The LORD shall swallow them up in His wrath,
And the fire shall devour them.

Jer 7:20 "Therefore thus says the Lord GOD: “Behold, My anger and My fury will be poured out on this place—on man and on beast, on the trees of the field and on the fruit of the ground. And it will burn and not be quenched.”

New Testament

A place of weeping and gnashing of teeth - "And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth" (Matthew 25:30).

A place of outer darkness - "Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth" (Matthew 22:13).

A place of torments - "In Hades he lifted up his eyes, being in torment, and saw Abraham far away and Lazarus in his bosom." (Luke 16:23).

A place of everlasting destruction - "Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;" (II Thessalonians 1:9).

A place where men are tormented with fire and brimstone - "But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death" (Revelation 21:8).

A place where fire is not quenched - "Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched" (Mark 9:44).

A bottomless pit - "And he opened the bottomless pit; and there arose a smoke out of the pit, as the smoke of a great furnace; and the sun and the air were darkened by reason of the smoke of the pit" (Revelation 9:2).

A place of no rest - "And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name" (Revelation 14:11).

It is ultimately a lake of fire - "Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire." (Revelation 20:14).

A place of hopelessness and unsatisfied desires - "And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame " (Luke 16:24). The rich man wanted water but could not get any.

"For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but cast them into hell and committed them to pits of darkness, reserved for judgment;" (2 Peter 2:4 NASB)

“But I will warn you whom to fear: fear the One who, after He has killed, has authority to cast into hell; yes, I tell you, fear Him!" (Luke 12:5 NASB)

“Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell." (Matthew 10:28 NASB)

“If your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off; it is better for you to enter life crippled, than, having your two hands, to go into hell, into the unquenchable fire," (Mark 9:43 NASB)

“Then He will also say to those on His left, ‘Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels;'" (Matthew 25:41 NASB)

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All KJV occurrences of the English word "hell": Sheol; Geenna; Hades; Tartaroo.

Deut 32:22 For a fire is kindled in mine anger, and shall burn unto the lowest hell (sheol - 7585), and shall consume the earth with her increase, and set on fire the foundations of the mountains.

2 Sam 22:6 The sorrows of hell (sheol - 7585) compassed me about; the snares of death prevented me;

Job 11:8 It is as high as heaven; what canst thou do? deeper than hell (sheol - 7585); what canst thou know?

Job 26:6 Hell (sheol - 7585) is naked before him, and destruction hath no covering.

Ps 9:17 The wicked shall be turned into hell (sheol - 7585), and all the nations that forget God.

Ps 16:10 For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell (sheol - 7585); neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

Ps 18:5 The sorrows of hell (sheol - 7585) compassed me about: the snares of death prevented me.

Ps 55:15 Let death seize upon them, and let them go down quick into hell (sheol - 7585): for wickedness is in their dwellings, and among them.

Ps 86:13 For great is thy mercy toward me: and thou hast delivered my soul from the lowest hell (sheol - 7585).

Ps 116:3 The sorrows of death compassed me, and the pains of hell (sheol - 7585) gat hold upon me: I found trouble and sorrow.

Ps 139:8 If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell (sheol - 7585), behold, thou art there.

Prov 5:5 Her feet go down to death; her steps take hold on hell (sheol - 7585).

Prov 7:27 Her house is the way to hell (sheol - 7585), going down to the chambers of death.

Prov 9:18 But he knoweth not that the dead are there; and that her guests are in the depths of hell (sheol - 7585).

Prov 15:11 Hell (sheol - 7585) and destruction are before the LORD: how much more then the hearts of the children of men?

Prov 15:24 The way of life is above to the wise, that he may depart from hell (sheol - 7585) beneath.

Prov 23:14 Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell (sheol - 7585).

Prov 27:20 Hell (sheol - 7585) and destruction are never full; so the eyes of man are never satisfied.

Isa 5:14 Therefore hell (sheol - 7585) hath enlarged herself, and opened her mouth without measure: and their glory, and their multitude, and their pomp, and he that rejoiceth, shall descend into it.

Isa 14:9 Hell (sheol - 7585) from beneath is moved for thee to meet thee at thy coming: it stirreth up the dead for thee, even all the chief ones of the earth; it hath raised up from their thrones all the kings of the nations.

Isa 14:15 Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell (sheol - 7585), to the sides of the pit.

Isa 28:15 Because ye have said, We have made a covenant with death, and with hell (sheol - 7585) are we at agreement; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, it shall not come unto us: for we have made lies our refuge, and under falsehood have we hid ourselves:

Isa 28:18 And your covenant with death shall be disannulled, and your agreement with hell (sheol - 7585) shall not stand; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, then ye shall be trodden down by it.

Isa 57:9 And thou wentest to the king with ointment, and didst increase thy perfumes, and didst send thy messengers far off, and didst debase thyself even unto hell (sheol - 7585).

Ezek 31:16 I made the nations to shake at the sound of his fall, when I cast him down to hell (sheol - 7585) with them that descend into the pit: and all the trees of Eden, the choice and best of Lebanon, all that drink water, shall be comforted in the nether parts of the earth.

Ezek 31:17 They also went down into hell (sheol - 7585) with him unto them that be slain with the sword; and they that were his arm, that dwelt under his shadow in the midst of the heathen.

Ezek 32:21 The strong among the mighty shall speak to him out of the midst of hell (sheol - 7585) with them that help him: they are gone down, they lie uncircumcised, slain by the sword.

Ezek 32:27 And they shall not lie with the mighty that are fallen of the uncircumcised, which are gone down to hell (sheol - 7585) with their weapons of war: and they have laid their swords under their heads, but their iniquities shall be upon their bones, though they were the terror of the mighty in the land of the living.

Amos 9:2 Though they dig into hell (sheol - 7585), thence shall mine hand take them; though they climb up to heaven, thence will I bring them down:

Jonah 2:2 And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the LORD, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell (sheol - 7585) cried I, and thou heardest my voice.

Hab 2:5 Yea also, because he transgresseth by wine, he is a proud man, neither keepeth at home, who enlargeth his desire as hell (sheol - 7585), and is as death, and cannot be satisfied, but gathereth unto him all nations, and heapeth unto him all people:

Matt 5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell (geenna - 1067) fire.

Matt 5:29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell (geenna - 1067).

Matt 5:30 And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell (geenna - 1067).

Matt 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell (geenna - 1067).

Matt 11:23 And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted unto heaven, shalt be brought down to hell (hades - 86): for if the mighty works, which have been done in thee, had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day.

Matt 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell (hades - 86) shall not prevail against it.

Matt 18:9 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell (geenna - 1067) fire.

Matt 23:15 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell (geenna - 1067) than yourselves.

Matt 23:33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell (geenna - 1067)?

Mark 9:43 And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell (geenna - 1067), into the fire that never shall be quenched:

Mark 9:45 And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell (geenna - 1067), into the fire that never shall be quenched:

Mark 9:47 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell (geenna - 1067) fire:

Luke 10:15 And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted to heaven, shalt be thrust down to hell (hades - 86).

Luke 12:5 But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell (geenna - 1067); yea, I say unto you, Fear him.

Luke 16:23 And in hell (hades - 86) he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

Acts 2:27 Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell (hades - 86), neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

Acts 2:31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell (hades - 86), neither his flesh did see corruption.

James 3:6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell (geenna - 1067).

2 Pet 2:4 For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell (tartaroo - 5020), and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;

Rev 1:18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell (hades - 86) and of death.

Rev 6:8 And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell (hades - 86) followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.

Rev 20:13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell (hades - 86) delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

Rev 20:14 And death and hell (hades - 86) were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
In verse 9, there is a hell from beneath (Sheol) that stirs the dead to greet the king. Does this point to different levels of hell? The dead tauntingly equated him to Lucifer in Isaiah 14:12, for he too sought divine position.

Hi again [type]

I don’t know how devoted you are to the KJV. I hope you are willing to use other translations also.

FYI: Here are some online Bible study resources you can use if you want -

Various study tools including lexicons, maps, charts, audio Bibles, dictionaries
http://www.blueletterbible.org/study/

Interlinear Bible
http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/Greek_Index.htm

Lexicons and more
http://www.biblestudytools.com/lexicons/

Various translations of a verse on one page and more
http://bible.cc/genesis/1-1.htm

As I mentioned before, the KJV translates four different words as hell. But actually, the word hell is never mentioned in the Hebrew Old Testament. What we know as hell is referred to in the OT in verses such as these:

Daniel 12:2 proclaims, "Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt." Hell is described here as everlasting. Isaiah 66:24 declares, "And they will go out and look upon the dead bodies of those who rebelled against me; their worm will not die, nor will their fire be quenched, and they will be loathsome to all mankind." In this Scripture, hell is described as a place where the fire is not quenched.

Sheol is the OT designation for the abode of the dead. The KJV sometimes translates it as hell, sometimes as grave, and sometimes as pit. (Hades is the NT Greek word for Sheol).

Compare these verses of the KJV and the NASB. (The New American Standard Bible has been widely acclaimed as the most literally accurate translation from the original languages.)

Gen 42:38 (KJV)
And he said, My son shall not go down with you; for his brother is dead, and he is left alone: if mischief befall him by the way in the which ye go, then shall ye bring down my gray hairs with sorrow to the grave.

Gen 42:38 (NASB)
But Jacob said, "My son shall not go down with you; for his brother is dead, and he alone is left. If harm should befall him on the journey you are taking, then you will bring my gray hair down to Sheol in sorrow.

Isaiah 14:9 (KJV)
Hell from beneath is moved for thee to meet [thee] at thy coming: it stirreth up the dead for thee, [even] all the chief ones of the earth; it hath raised up from their thrones all the kings of the nations.

Isaiah 14:9 (NASB)
Sheol from beneath is excited over you to meet you when you come; It arouses for you the spirits of the dead, all the leaders of the earth; It raises all the kings of the nations from their thrones.

In all of those verses, the bolded word is Sheol, Strong’s number H7585. The KJV translates the same word as grave and as hell. (Strickly speaking, the word can be translated both ways).

The word "hell" occurs 31 times in the KJV Old Testament. All 31 of those times, the word translated "hell" is the Hebrew word "sheol."

The truth is that the unsaved dead do not go to hell yet. In Revelation 20 they are resurrected, judged, and then they are cast into the lake of fire. Until then, and throughout the Old Testament, the unsaved dead go to Sheol (Hades).

In Luke 16:19-31 Jesus describes Sheol in more detail. It had two areas — paradise and the place of torment.

In Isaiah 14:12, some commentators believe that the king was in fact possessed by Satan. This accounts for his extreme cruelty. He was a type of Antichrist. And Isaiah was delivering a message directly to both the king and Satan in that passage. I agree with that because the king could not be said to have fallen from heaven.

Marlene
Advanced Member
Member # 8489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marlene     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The physical location of “hell” cannot be found on earth, no. There are two levels of understanding and I was not speaking literally, although it might have sounded as if I was. I was speaking of the imagery one is left with after reading these verses.

You said, “Hell was prepared for Satan and the fallen angels.” This is precisely what is described in Isaiah 34:11-15.

(11)But the pelican and the hedgehog shall possess it; the owl also and the raven shall dwell in it: and he shall stretch out upon it the line of confusion, and the stones of emptiness. (12) They shall call the nobles thereof to the kingdom, but none shall be there, and all her princes shall be nothing. (13) And thorns shall come up in her palaces, nettles and brambles in the fortresses thereof: and it shall be an habitation of dragons, and a court for owls. (14) The wild beasts of the desert shall also meet with the wild beasts of the island, and the satyr shall cry to his fellow; the screech owl also shall rest there, and find for herself a place of rest. (15) There shall the great owl make her nest, and lay, and hatch, and gather under her shadow: there shall the vultures also be gathered, every one with her mate.

Scripture gives us an idea of what hell will be like, as seen in the imagery of Isaiah.
Isaiah 30:31-33 describes Topheth, (literally, a place of burning). In it, the destruction of Assyria serves to foreshadow the End Times.

(31) For through the voice of the LORD shall the Assyrian be beaten down, which smote with a rod.
(32) And in every place where the grounded staff shall pass, which the LORD shall lay upon him, it shall be with tabrets and harps: and in battles of shaking will he fight with it.
(33) For Topheth is ordained of old; yea, for the king it is prepared; he hath made it deep and large: the pile thereof is fire and much wood; the breath of the LORD, like a stream of brimstone, doth kindle it.

In Isaiah 14:9-11 the deceased Babylonian king’s reception into Sheol (the place of the dead) is described.

(9)Hell from beneath is moved for thee to meet thee at thy coming: it stirreth up the dead for thee, even all the leaders of the earth; it hath raised up from their thrones all the kings of the nations. (10)All they shall speak and say unto thee, Art thou also become weak as we? Art thou become like unto us? (11)Thy pomp is brought down to the grave, and the noise of thy viols: the worm is spread under thee, and the worms cover thee.

In verse 9, there is a hell from beneath (Sheol) that stirs the dead to greet the king. Does this point to different levels of hell? The dead tauntingly equated him to Lucifer in Isaiah 14:12, for he too sought divine position.

(12)How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! How art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!

Isaiah 14:18-19 describes the king’s shame:

(18) All the kings of the nations, even all of them, lie in glory, every one I his own house. (19) But thou art cast out of they grave like an abominable branch, and as the raiment of those that are slain, thrust through with a sword, that go down to the stones of the pit; as a carcase trodden under feet.

A point of interest: KJV of the Bible references “hell” 54 times and NKJV 32 times. Some translations don’t contain ANY reference to hell.

Posts: 32 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Here is a picture of the Hinnom Valley today

-

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is “Topheth” the Hell Jesus spoke of?

No.

Hell was prepared for Satan and the fallen angels. It is not a place on earth. Gehenna is sometimes used to symbolize hell, but it isn't hell itself.

(The KJV confuses the issue by translating four different words as hell. For example, one is left wondering how "hell" can be cast into the "lake of fire" — [Revelation 20:14, KJV]. The KJV uses the word "Hell" to translate four key biblical words — Hades, Sheol, Gehenna, and Tartarus.)

Topheth was prepared for the king of Assyria.

Isaiah 30:31 - 33 (NLT)
31 At the LORD’s command, the Assyrians will be shattered. He will strike them down with his royal scepter. 32 And as the LORD strikes them with his rod of punishment, his people will celebrate with tambourines and harps. Lifting his mighty arm, he will fight the Assyrians. 33 Topheth—the place of burning— has long been ready for the Assyrian king; the pyre is piled high with wood. The breath of the LORD, like fire from a volcano, will set it ablaze.

God used Assyria to discipline Judah, but He would not permit the Assyrians to take the city of David. Isaiah used several images to describe God’s judgment of Assyria: a storm of fire and hail, a flood, the sifting of grain (see Amos 9:9), and the harnessing of a horse so that the enemy is led off like a farm animal.

Just as Sheol was prepared for the king of Babylon (Isa. 14:9ff), so Topheth was prepared for the king of Assyria. Topheth was a site outside Jerusalem where the worshipers of Molech sacrificed their children (2 Kings 16:3; 21:6; Jer. 7:31-32; 19:6, 11-14). It was defiled by Josiah (2 Kings 23:10), turned into a garbage dump, and named “Gehenna,” which comes from ge-ben-hinnom, meaning “valley of the son of Hinnom.” That was the location of Topheth. The funeral pyre for the great king of Assyria would be a garbage dump.

(Wiersbe)

Marlene
Advanced Member
Member # 8489

I came upon a bible verse that captured my interest. Does anyone have additional insight?

Isaiah 31:31-33

(31) For through the voice of the LORD shall the Assyrian be beaten down, which smote with a rod.
(32) And in every place where the grounded staff shall pass, which the LORD shall lay upon him, it shall be with tabrets and harps: and in battles of shaking will he fight with it.
(33) For Topheth is ordained of old; yea, for the king it is prepared; he hath made it deep and large: the pile thereof is fire and much wood; the breath of the LORD, like a stream of brimstone, doth kindle it.

Verse 31 is a foreshadowing of the eschatological Day of the Lord, but it was the word “Topheth” that caught my attention. Topheth is the valley of the sons of Hinnom, and literally means 'A place of abomination'. Located southeast of Jerusalem, Israel offered human sacrifices by fire to the pagan god Moloch, hence it is a place of burning.

A call came from Jeremiah to King Josiah to destroy the shrines in Topheth and to end the practice.

Jeremiah 7:30-31

(30)For the children of Judah have done evil in my sight, saith the LORD: they have set their abominations in the house which is called by my name, to pollute it.
(31) And they have built the high places of Tophet, which is in the valley of the son of Hinnom, to burn their sons and their daughters in the fire; which I commanded them not, neither came it into my heart.

In 2 Kings 23:10 Josiah attempted to please God:

(10)And he defiled Topheth, which is in the valley of the children of Hinnom, that no man might make his son or his daughter to pass through the fire to Molech.

Despite the fact that Josiah ended the practice, Jeremiah prophesized that Jerusalem, itself would be made like Topheth (Jeremiah 19:2-6).
In fact, in 2 Chronicles 28:3 King Ahaz of Judah sacrificed his sons there after King Josiah ended the practice.
(3)Moreover he burnt incense in the valley of the son of Hinnom, and burnt his children in the fire, after the abominations of the heathen whom the LORD had cast out before the children of Israel.

Gehinnom or Gehenna, meaning “valley of Hinnom”, was the receptacle of the refuse of the city of Jerusalem, where the fires that were constantly burning consumed everything. In this sense Topheth is the receptacle 'prepared for the devil and his angels, and unbelieving men.

Matthew 5:22

But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Matthew 25:41

Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

Mark 9:43-44

(43)And if thy hand offend thee, cut if off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched.
(44)Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement