Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » sacrifice

Author Topic: sacrifice
John Hale
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I may be overly simplistic...

Jesus is the Creator. As the Creator of a fallen realm (actually two realms the spirit realm and the physical) he took responsibility for his creation.

He did not cause it to fall. He simply took responsibility for it (in a tangible way unlike most who claim to own up or take responsibility for what happens under their charge).

This is why it was he who became a man and laid down his human life for sin (rather than the Father or the Holy Ghost). I don't know if anyone else ever wondered that. But this is why.

He raised his human life from the dead apparently bonding it to his Spirit (1 Corinthians 15:45 his being from that point on apparently a spirit body having flesh and bone but no blood see also Luke 24:39).

And he made it so that whosoever believes will be redeemed from hell AND have eternal life in that same condition as he was raised (1 John 3:2).

Make no mistake... this is not just about spirit disposition but also about our bodies eternal outcome...

Romans 8:23 (KJV)
23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.

Jesus was already ruling before he became a man. He was the Lord / YHVH of the Old Testament.

John 8:58 (KJV)
58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

Exodus 3:14 (KJV)
14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Christ Our Sacrifice

The Old Testament is full of sacrifices in which an innocent animal was killed. These were substitutionary sacrifices meaning that the death of the animal was in the place of someone else.

Why was there such an emphasis in the Jewish writings? The holiness of God reveals that everyone who has ever lived has sinned. We have all failed to live up to God’s expectation of us. We have “all sinned and come short of the glory of God.” We have failed the test of God for a righteous person.

The penalty for breaking the laws of God is separation from Him throughout eternity. We deserve the death penalty. “The wages of sin is death” (Rom. 6:23). “The soul that sins will die” (Ezekiel 18:4). As a consequence of our sins we deserve to spend an eternity in hell.

Jesus Christ redeemed us from the law. He chose to die in our place. It was His free volitional choice. We deserved to die and He stepped in and voluntarily chose of His own free will to die in our place. Jesus took our death in His sacrifice for sin. He experienced both physical and spiritual death in our place on the cross as our substitute.

Every Resurrection Day is a vivid reminder of our sinfulness, and the penalty of our sins was laid on Christ.

God conducted the first ever sacrifice for sin. He chose the animals to sacrifice for Adam and Eve, and then He clothed them with the skins of the animals (Gen 3:21). Adam and Eve saw the first death anyone had ever witnessed. God slay the animals and in that event taught man that he deserved to die for His disobedience, and that it was possible for another to die in his place. The animals that were shed for their clothing paid the price of their sin debt. Those coats of animal skins were a constant testimony of the price of sin.

The greatest substitutionary sacrifice ever paid for sin was carried out at Calvary when Jesus died on behalf of another. Why Jesus? “For it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sin” (Heb. 10:4). Those sacrifices in the Jewish tabernacle were a constant reminder of sin and the wages of sin. They symbolized that God would one day provide His own Lamb to do what animals could never do. They were a symbol of how man’s sins had to be dealt with, but symbols cannot lift up and take away our sin.

Jesus Christ accomplished the only effective sacrifice for sin. His death was a substitutionary sacrifice that accomplished precisely what had to be done to gain our salvation. We deserved to die for our sin, but Jesus Christ chose to die in our place. When Jesus cried out from the cross, “It is finished,” He paid our debt in full.

Christ is the “better sacrifice” (Heb. 9:23) because His blood alone cleanses of all sins (1 John 1:6-9). He entered into the presence of God in heaven for us, once for all and offered the perfect sacrifice for sin. He is more valuable than even thousands of animals. “He put away sin by the sacrifice of Himself” (Heb. 9:26). Christ has been offered by God “once to bear the sins of many.” What was impossible for bulls and goats to accomplish Christ did on our behalf.

By coming to do the will of God, “We have been sanctified through the one offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all” (Heb. 10:10). Christ “having offered one sacrifice for sins for all time, sat down at the right hand of God. . . For by one offering He perfected for all time those who are sanctified” (Heb. 10:12-14).

Have you accepted the one perfect sacrifice that lifts up and takes away every sin? Have you responded by faith and thanked Him for being your substitute? In His sacrificial death He gives you His life. Believe in His saving death and He will give you eternal life today.

http://www.abideinchrist.com/selah/mar12.html

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not co-ruler. God, in the person of Jesus Christ, sacrificed Himself to redeem fallen man. God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit are One. We worship one God, not two.

Some Bible Verses that say Jesus is God

Some people deny that Jesus is God. If that is you, I would like to encourage you to consider some of these Bible verses:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Isaiah 9:6 - For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Isaiah 43:10,11 - “You are My witnesses,” says the Lord, “And My servant whom I have chosen, That you may know and believe Me, and understand that I am He. Before Me there was no God formed, Nor shall there be after Me. I, even I, am the Lord, and besides Me there is no Savior.”
Revelation 1:17-18; Revelation 2:8 - (Jesus is the First and the Last)

Isaiah 44:6 - (God is the Redeemer)
2 Peter 1:1 (Jesus is the Redeemer) - “To those who have obtained like precious faith with us by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ”

Isaiah 44:24 - (God created the world by His self alone)
John 1:3; Colossians 1:16 - (Jesus made all things)

John 1:1 - In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God... 1:14 - And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us,

John 5:17,18 - “My Father has been working until now, and I have been working.” Therefore the Jews sought to kill Him, because He not only broke the Sabbath, but also said that God was His Father, making Himself equal with God.

John 5:23 - that all should honor the Son just as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him.

John 8:24 - “Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that I AM He, you will die in your sins.”

John 8:58 - Then Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.”

John 10:30-33 - Jesus answered them, “I and My Father are one.” Then the Jews took up stones again to stone Him. Jesus answered them, “Many good works I have shown you from My Father. For which of those works do you stone Me?” The Jews answered Him, saying, “For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy, and because You, being a Man, make Yourself God.”

John 14:6-7 - Jesus said to him, “I AM the way, the truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.”

John 14:9-11 - Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, 'Show us the Father'?”

John 20:28 - And Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord and my God!”

Acts 4:12 - “Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”

Acts 20:28 - (God purchased us with His own blood)
Revelation 1:5,6; Revelation 5:8-9 - (Jesus' blood purchased us)

Philippians 2:5-7 - Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bond-servant, and coming in the likeness of men.

1 Timothy 3:16 - And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifested in the flesh, Justified in the Spirit, Seen by angels, Preached among the Gentiles, Believed on in the world, Received up in glory.

Titus 2:13 - looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ

Hebrews 1:8,9 - But to the Son He (God) says: “Your throne, O God, is forever and ever; A scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Your kingdom. You have loved righteousness and hated lawlessness; Therefore God, Your God, has anointed You with the oil of gladness more than Your companions.”

2 John 1:7 - For many deceivers have gone out into the world who do not confess Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.

Revelation 1:8 - “I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End,” says the Lord, “who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.”

Revelation 22:13 - “I AM the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End, the First and the Last.”... 22:16 - “I, Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things in the churches.”

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soloman Kane
First Post
Member # 8397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Soloman Kane   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How is it a sacrifice for Jesus to die only to become co ruler with God?

It's not. Especially when you consider that when someone sacrifices a thing (Jesus' life), that person doesn't get the thing back. Jesus got his life back.

Posts: 1 | From: Kansas | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement