Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » Are we to keep the Ten Commandments today?

Author Topic: Are we to keep the Ten Commandments today?
The Beauty of Holiness777
Advanced Member
Member # 7380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Beauty of Holiness777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1John 3:22,24

(22) And whatsoever we ask we receive of Him, because we keep His commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in His sight.

(24) And he that keepth His commandments dwelleth in Him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the spirit which He has giveth us.

John 14a;23
Jesus answered and said unto him,
If a man love me he will keep my Words:

Yes we are to keep God's commandments not only the "Ten" but all other commandments He has told us to do as well.

No, when we first start out we will fail with some at times but as we grow in Christ and fully commit ourselves and lives to Him and doing His will we will keep them with His help.

--------------------
In God I'am Complete.
I am a "Spiritual Being" living in a physical body.
{Prayer - a force that reaches people and places when we can't}

Posts: 192 | From: God's Universe | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panza70
Community Member
Member # 8113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for panza70     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes.
Posts: 8 | From: N.Y. | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bloodbought
Advanced Member
Member # 4365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bloodbought     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Totally agree Hawkins,

Hebrews 10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

Posts: 822 | From: Ireland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hawkins
Member # 7127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hawkins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sha'ul:
I believe that we are to keep the Ten Commandments. But I would like to know if anyone else does or doesn't and why, because there's alot of contraversy on this question. Shalom Sha'ul

Surely you should, but it is expected you can't. Under the New Covenant, the most important things for us Christians to do is to follow Jesus Christ's teaching.

And Jesus Christ said,

Matthew 19
17 “Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”

18 “Which ones?” he inquired.

Jesus replied, “‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, 19 honor your father and mother,’ and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.’”

20 “All these I have kept,” the young man said. “What do I still lack?”

21 Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

So if you want to enter life, You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, 19 honor your father and mother,’ and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.

If you want to be perfect (as viewed by God and Jesus Christ), then "Then come, follow me", that is, follow Jesus Christ.

Though He said this to a Jew, it is still part of Jesus Christ teaching, and I do think that this applies to us Christians.

Posts: 5 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thefixer
Advanced Member
Member # 8837

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thefixer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scripture shows us that NOT ONE soul will be saved without Jesus' blood. You may follow every commandment, as best you can, and still not make it Home. Does this mean we shouldn't follow the commandments? NO, but be assured that by that alone you will NOT be allowed to live with Jesus. In Luke 18:18-22 Jesus tells us that mearly following the commandments will not do it. He asks that we also FOLLOW Him (become His disciple). Be filled with the Spirit of Jesus and obeying the commandments becomes second nature.
Posts: 71 | From: Yuma, Arizona | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives. (Hebrews 12:6)
Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Hale
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Law of Grace (and it is a Law / Torah by the way) is an often misunderstood thing by individuals and congregations that try to control people.

As believers in Jesus Christ we are indwelled with the Spirit of God. Our "license to sin" so-called is with the proviso that the Holy Spirit is not being idle or overlooking things we do or don't do.

He has taken yours truly to the woodshed for a beating more times that I care to admit. And he will in fact relieve us of our lives if need be.

1 Corinthians 5:5 (NASB95)
5 I have decided to deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of his flesh, so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

This is with any sin that we are too stupid or too selfish or too lazy to stop doing there comes a point of no return but before believers reach it (after all the persuading and beatings by the woodshed) if nothing else will keep a believer from pushing the envelope towards that point of no return, God will take us out before we get there.

Point is, God is proactive in our lives.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by barrykind:
yep

sumned up in those two sister betty

Loving YHWH with all your heart mind soul, and strength and your neigbor as yourself!

We have a higher standard now when it comes to loving other people. Not just as ourselves, but as Christ.

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. (John 13:34)

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 14 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John Hale amen...
quote:
As believers in Y'shua (Jesus), we are fronted the righteousness of the Messiah to cover all bases we may have missed... BUT It would be a mistake to devalue the commandments (not only the Decalogue)that were not specifically fulfilled at the cross. Paid in full at the cross but not as a license to sin. Rav Shaul b'Tarshish said the condemnation of those who thought of it as such is deserved (Romans 3:8).

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Hale
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As believers in Y'shua (Jesus), we are fronted the righteousness of the Messiah to cover all bases we may have missed...

BUT

It would be a mistake to devalue the commandments (not only the Decalogue) that were not specifically fulfilled at the cross.

Paid in full at the cross but not as a license to sin. Rav Shaul b'Tarshish said the condemnation of those who thought of it as such is deserved (Romans 3:8).

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry44
Advanced Member
Member # 8375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry44   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When your born again Jesus brings you up to the level of the law. which no man can keep in his own strengh. Yes we follow the moral law it was not done away with. we keep the Spirit of the law and not the letter of the law. example: Love God with all your heart and your neighbor as yourself.

--------------------
http://wordoftruth.freeforums.org/index.php

Posts: 63 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yep

sumned up in those two sister betty

Loving YHWH with all your heart mind soul, and strength and your neigbor as yourself!

--------------------
The HEART of the issue is truly the issue of the HEART!
John 3:3;Mark 8:34-38;James 1:27

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love Your Neighbor
(cf. Mark 12:31; James 2:8)
8 Owe no one anything except to love one another, for he who loves another has fulfilled the law. 9 For the commandments, "You shall not commit adultery," "You shall not murder," "You shall not steal," "You shall not bear false witness," "You shall not covet," and if there is any other commandment, are all summed up in this saying, namely, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." 10 Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1 John 5:2
By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.

1 John 5:3
For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

--------------------

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

quote:
Originally posted by Carol Swenson:
Galatians 5:16 (NLT)

So I say, let the Holy Spirit guide your lives. Then you won’t be doing what your sinful nature craves.

Exactly my Precious Sister Carol:

For if we walk in the Spirit we will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh!

[thumbsup2]

[hug]

[dance] [dance] [dance]

--------------------

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carol Swenson:

So I say, let the Holy Spirit guide your lives. Then you won’t be doing what your sinful nature craves.

barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Matthew 5:19
Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 19:17
And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Matt: 22:36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

37Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

38This is the first and great commandment.

39And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

40On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Mark 12:

28And one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, and perceiving that he had answered them well, asked him, Which is the first commandment of all?

29And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:

30And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.

31And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

John 14:15
If ye love me, keep my commandments.

John 14:21
He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

John 15:10
If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

Acts 1:2
Until the day in which he was taken up, after that he through the Holy Ghost had given commandments unto the apostles whom he had chosen:

1 Corinthians 7:19
Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God.

1 Corinthians 14:37
If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.

1 John 2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.

1 John 2:4
He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him

1 John 3:22
And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight

1 John 3:24
And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

1 John 5:2
By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.

1 John 5:3
For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

2 John 1:
5And now I beseech thee, lady, not as though I wrote a new commandment unto thee, but that which we had from the beginning, that we love one another.

6And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.

Revelation 12:17
And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Revelation 14:12
Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

Revelation 22:14
Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

Just a few scripture to help give witness to the truth.. [Smile]

--------------------

Eduardo Grequi
Advanced Member
Member # 3984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eduardo Grequi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is illegal to murder

It is illegal lie or make a false pretense

Parents demand honor and obedience

we must love or neighbors

we must love God

(Mat 22:35) Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying,

(Mat 22:36) Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

(Mat 22:37) Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

(Mat 22:38) This is the first and great commandment.

(Mat 22:39) And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

(Mat 22:40) On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
(Jas 1:25) But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

(Jas 1:26) If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.

(Jas 1:27) Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

I believe we must obey the commandments of the Bible. Jesus was approached by the followers and he was asked by a lawyer what is the most important commandment. Jesus ( my King and Leader) told them to love God and love your neighbor in the book of Mathew. Mathew 22: 40 Jesus advocated these two commandments and the rest of the law hangs on the obedience of the two. But you have to realize at this particular time it was still O.T. observance because Jesus had not yet died and resurrected from the grave to commence the day of grace. All scripture is profitable for instruction according to the book of Timothy chapt 3 verse 16. It is better to pray and let the Holy Spirit guide you in your faith and practice there of.

Posts: 771 | From: Belvidere, IL | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

johnz
Community Member
Member # 6107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Sha'ul

This topic is one of my main bible study interests. I by no means have a full answer but I do have questions that lead me in a certain direction. If you don't mind I'd like to answer the question with a few more questions as I am trying to find the answer myself.

If we are to keep the Commandments:

Are we bound by the whole law or just that portion of it?

What are the consequences for not obeying them?

What is the purpose / benefit of obeying them?

I'm leaning more toward not being bound by the commandment's but from that perspective it still leaves the question: What purpose / place does the Law have in believers lives today?

I know that there are scriptures that seem to verify both views. I'm searching for how they can be reconciled and brought into agreement.

I look foreword to hearing your insight!

In Christ,
johnz

As I said before, I don;t have a full answer of these questions myself but

--------------------
God is not counting your sins against you and your sins can't send you to Hell.(2 Cor 5:19) Only one thing can...

Posts: 8 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sha'ul
Advanced Member
Member # 8294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sha'ul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that we are to keep the Ten Commandments. But I would like to know if anyone else does or doesn't and why, because there's alot of contraversy on this question. Shalom Sha'ul
Posts: 32 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement