Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » Help Needed Please!

Author Topic: Help Needed Please!
Carmela
Advanced Member
Member # 4817

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Carmela     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Chuck, I know it will be.

--------------------
www.pinecrest.org

Posts: 646 | From: Central New York | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HE LIVES
Advanced Member
Member # 4931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HE LIVES     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carmela,

I hope that your assignment turns out to be a blessing.

Your brother in Christ,
Chuck

Posts: 182 | From: Missouri | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmela
Advanced Member
Member # 4817

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Carmela     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just thought I would give an update. Today we had to write down our 3 choices and I did get Adoniram Judson.

Thanks again to all of you that helped. I actually had 4 choices because I picked someone from Scotland also.

--------------------
www.pinecrest.org

Posts: 646 | From: Central New York | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HE LIVES
Advanced Member
Member # 4931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HE LIVES     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HisGrace,

Your right and I was wrong, I got my names crossed up. It's a very powerful story though.

Posts: 182 | From: Missouri | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HE LIVES:
The movie "End of the spear" is about the man that Watcher spoke of, Jim Elliot. It's an awesome story of love and faith.

Actually the movie is about Steve Saint,whose father Nate Saint was speared to death. Steve Saint was a guest on James Robison two days this week.

The story was made famous through the book written by Elizabeth Elliott, Jim's wife, Through Gates of Splendor. I thought there was a book titled End of the Spear but I guess not.
quote:
Steve Saint was five years old when his father, missionary pilot Nate Saint, was speared to death by a primitive Ecuadorian tribe. In adulthood, Steve, having left Ecuador for a successful business career in the United States, never imagined making the jungle his home again. But when that same tribe asks him to help them, Steve, his wife, and their teenage children move back to the jungle. There, Steve learns long-buried secrets about his father's murder, confronts difficult choices, and finds himself caught between two worlds. Now a major motion picture (January 20, 2006), End of the Spear brilliantly chronicles the continuing story that first captured the world's attention in the bestselling book, Through Gates of Splendor.

This story was made famous by LIFE magazine and the book Through Gates of Splendor by Elizabeth Elliot. Many people are familiar with the story of the missionaries, but no one has heard the rest of the story, from the perspective of the tribe, until now.

The End of the Spear film follows this remarkable true story through the life journeys of two people. Mincayani, a Waodani warrior who led the raid that killed the missionaries, and Steve Saint, the son of the missionary Mincayani killed.

Steve Saint and his family plan to move back to that same region because of their deep love for the people. Now that's real forgiveness after what they did to his father.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmela
Advanced Member
Member # 4817

Thanks again everyone. I don't watch much tv since I only get one channel and most of the shows are terrible these days but I did hear briefly something about a Christian movie called End of the Spear so I wanted to see it. I had no clue what it was about though since my husband usually puts a tape in when the radio is on. [Big Grin]

Sometimes I feel so sheltered, and sometimes I am glad I'm sheltered. I do try to watch the news but I usually either don't have time because I'm making dinner or we are out. Sometimes if I'm able to I can catch 5 minutes of it, but it isn't enough to stay informed.

--------------------
www.pinecrest.org

HE LIVES
Advanced Member
Member # 4931

The movie "End of the spear" is about the man that Watcher spoke of, Jim Elliot. It's an awesome story of love and faith.
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just noticed your thread Carmela.

This Friday there is a movie opening in the theatres across N. America titled End of the Spear. It is about five missionaries who were killed by savages in a remote area of Ecuador around 50 years ago. It supposedly is a very profound movie. It shows the missionaries' very deep love for these tribes.

A book was written by the son of one of the missionaries who was killed, and he was on James Robison this week talking about the movie.
You can see the telecast under the following link. End of the Spear has its own website and there is other information 'Search'

Telecasts on the 16th and 17th

www.endofthespear.com

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmela
Advanced Member
Member # 4817

Thanks. That sounds like another great idea for me to do my report on. Now I'm torn.

I appreciate your help also Watcher.

I wanted to do my report on David Hogan but he is still alive so I couldn't. He has a great ministry in Mexico. He sounds arrogant when he talks, but his faith is amazing.

--------------------
www.pinecrest.org

Watcher
Advanced Member
Member # 3589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Watcher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Christian missionarie Jim Elliot gave his life in an Ecuadorian jungle, attempting
to bring the gospel to the Waodani stone-age people. At that time they
were the most violent tribe on Earth -- and yet they became the most
loving and peaceful!

God used this tragedy to motivate more people to become missionaries than any other event in modern history -- perhaps ever. He also used two
women to complete the work of the five martyred missionaries, bringing the Waodani to himself. So the deaths of those five men did more to advance the kingdom of God than their lives ever could.

God's ways are so great!

But the story doesn't end there. It seems God is about to use the
tragedy that happened 50 years ago to help hundreds of thousands -- maybe
millions -- to come to know Christ in our day, using The End Of The Spear movie.

It is a major motion picture (production cost $12 million) that tells the story of
God's grace from the perspective of the Waodoni.

Can we spread the word and help give it a good start?

I'm very excited about this movie!
I read a book written by Elizabeth Elliott (Jim's wife)her story amazing and perplexing, and her faith outstanding and real.......
There are several books that cover the story...from each missionary family.....
several years ago where she tells about all the things they (the missionaries) went through just to get to the point of friendly contact with these Indians, and all that led up to the men being speared to death. It was an absolutely amazing book, but I don't remember the title of it. I hope God will use this movie to draw the unsaved to Him!

I am sure this will prove to be a positive affect on people's lives that will lead to them knowing their Saviour.

http://www.elisabethelliot.org/ramblings102005.html

I learned a lot from her.

--------------------
Watcher

Whoso rewardeth evil for good, evil shall not depart from his house. He that justifieth the wicked, and he that condemneth the just, even they both are abomination to the LORD.
Proverbs 17:13,15

Posts: 146 | From: Earth | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmela
Advanced Member
Member # 4817

Thanks so much Chuck, I really appreciate your help. I have never heard that name. I also appreciate you giving me the link. I will go look at it now.

Love, Carmela

--------------------
www.pinecrest.org

HE LIVES
Advanced Member
Member # 4931

Please take the time to research "Adoniram Judson". He was called the Apostle of Burma. I'm about to start reading a book about him called the Apostle of Burma, the book is from 1926.

Here's more info for you.

http://www.wholesomewords.org/biography/biorpjudson.html

Your brother in Christ,
Chuck

Carmela
Advanced Member
Member # 4817

As most of you know, I'm in bible school. Today I started the third quarter of my third year and I was given an assignment to do on a missionary's life that is no longer living.

I would like to do the report on someone that I don't already know about, so I was wondering if you could help by giving me some names of any missionaries that you can think of and a brief description on their ministry. Then, I will research the rest. I need at least 3 names so I can choose one and have back ups in case someone in class has already chosen one of them.

Thanks so much in advance.

Love, Carmela

--------------------
www.pinecrest.org

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement