Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » End Time Events In The News   » A Fathers Letter!

Author Topic: A Fathers Letter!
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 9 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Christopher Hershman
October 6, 2013
Wescosville, Pennsylvania
 -
My very dear Children:

The indications are very strong that this tyrant is getting desperate and that we may be called to resolve within a few weeks - perhaps even only days. The situation cannot continue like this forever – certainly not months, as it deteriorates each and every day. Our movement may be one of a brief duration and full of pleasure, such as our action today at Valley Forge - or it may be one of severe conflict and death to me. “Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.” (Luke 22:42) Lest I should not be able to write you again, I feel impelled to write lines that may fall under your eye if the occasion comes when I shall be no more.

If it is necessary that I should fall on the battlefield for my country, I am ready. I have no misgivings about, or lack of confidence in, the holy and patriotic cause in which I am engaged, and my courage does not halt or falter. I know how strongly American Civilization now leans upon the triumph of the patriots who defend the Constitution and Constitutional Government and oppose tyranny and treason, and how great a debt we owe to those who went before us through the blood and suffering of the Revolution, the Civil War and our nation’s other wars. And I am willing - perfectly willing - to lay down all my joys in this life, to help maintain this Constitutional Government, and to fulfill my obligation as a loyal citizen.

But, my dear children, when I know that with my own joys I lay down nearly all of yours, and replace them in this life with cares and sorrows - when, after having eaten for long years the bitter fruit of being without a father, myself, I must offer it as their only sustenance to you my children - is it weak or dishonorable, while the banner of my purpose floats calmly and proudly in the breeze, that my unbounded love for you, my darling children, should struggle in fierce, though useless, contest with my love of country and freedom?

I cannot describe to you my feelings on this calm autumn night, when many millions of other patriots are also sleeping, many of them enjoying the last, perhaps, before that of death -- and I, suspicious that Death is creeping behind me with his fatal dart, am communing with God, my country, and thee.

I have sought most closely and diligently, and often in my breast, for a wrong motive in thus hazarding the happiness of those I loved and I could not find one. A pure love of my country and of the principles have often advocated before the people and "the name of honor that I love more than I fear death" have called upon me, and I have obeyed.

Alex and Nicole, my love for you is endless. It seems to bind me to you with mighty cables that nothing but Omnipotence could break; and yet my love of Country comes over me like a strong wind and bears me irresistibly on with all these chains to the battlefield. I am compelled to do what I believe to be right and honorable.

The memories of the blissful moments I have spent with both of you come creeping over me, and I feel most gratified to God and to you that I have enjoyed them so long. And hard it is for me to give them up and burn to ashes the hopes of future years, when God willing, we might still have lived and loved together and I could have witnessed your future unfold. I have, I know, but few and small claims upon Divine Providence, but something whispers to me -- that I shall return to my loved ones unharmed. But if I do not, my dear children, never forget how much I love you, and when my last breath escapes me on the battlefield, it will whisper both of your names.

Forgive my many faults, and the many pains I have caused you. How thoughtless and foolish I have oftentimes been! I wish I could have provided more for you financially. I wish your mother and I were still together. You both know I will always love her. How gladly would I wash out with my tears every little spot upon your happiness, and struggle with all the misfortune of this world and to shield you from harm. But I cannot. The most loving thing I can do is to be willing to fight and possibly to die to preserve your freedom and your future against the forces of tyranny and oppression. And so, should I fall, I must watch you from the spirit land and hover near you, while you buffet your future storms, and wait with sad patience till we meet to part no more.

But, my dear children! If the dead can come back to this earth and flit unseen around those they loved, I shall always be near you; in the garish day and in the darkest night -- amidst your happiest scenes and gloomiest hours - always, always; and if there be a soft breeze upon your cheek, it shall be my breath; or the cool air fans your throbbing temple, it shall be my spirit passing by.

Alex and Nicole, do not mourn me dead; think I am gone and wait for thee, for we shall meet again.

Unfortunately, in future years you may then be as I have been, without a father's presence, love and care. But I have unlimited confidence in your wisdom, your many gifts, and the rich content of your character. I know you will always do well and am so proud of you both and your accomplishments. No father could be prouder of his children than I am of you. No father could love his children more than I love you. I pray that the Lord may always bless and protect you both.

Tell both my mother and your mother that I love them and I call God's blessing upon them.

O my children, I will wait for you in the heavenly realm! Remain steadfast in your faith in Lord Jesus. Someday, you will come to me, and we will be together again. Have no doubt about this!

With my deepest love and utmost respect; your father,

Christopher+

[Prayer] for this truck driver.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement