Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » End Time Events In The News   » Children Discover Magic at Potter Camps

Author Topic: Children Discover Magic at Potter Camps
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AMEN Sis BM! This stuff just Breaks my heart! Nothing hurts me more then to see children hurt, abused, or lead down a path of destruction [Frown]

--------------------
Psalm 119:104Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. 105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Posts: 3465 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrazilianMommy
Advanced Member
Member # 4787

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrazilianMommy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It doesn't surprises me. Satan wants to get the children. For a child there is not diff. between larning and entertaining. Some parents might think "well, at least their are reading", "it is a fairy tale anyway". If you are a non-christian parents than you are just going with a flow as you do with everything else. But it is problem if you say you are Christian and allow this stuff in your house and in your child's mind.

--------------------
Jesus loves you

Posts: 83 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 2 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Click Here to go to the article online.

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 9 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The below is good to NOTE:

Note: The reason I have spent time preparing definitions of the forbidden practices listed below is because the bible tells us that we should not be ignorant of Satan's devices. "Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices" (2 Corinthians 2:11). If we do not know what these things are or that they exist this will give Satan a chance to take advantage of us because we did not know that we should have avoided them. If we do not avoid all of them (meaning have nothing to do with any of them) any one of them may lead us down Satan's path and away from the truth of God. A very important thing to remember is that you should never dwell on these things (to dwell on them means to have a fascination with them. This can be very dangerous). You need to know what they are only, so you can avoid them.

WHAT IS A FORBIDDEN PRACTICE?

A forbidden practice is something that is an abomination to the Lord. This means Gods hates these things and does not want His children to have any thing to do with them. God tells us very clearly nine things that He hates. "When thou art come into the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, thou shalt not learn to do after the abominations of those nations. here shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch, or charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer. For all that do these things are an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee. Thou shalt be perfect with the LORD thy God (Deuteronomy 18:9-13).

God wants us to stay away from these things, not because He wants to control us, or deprive us of anything, but because He loves us, and knows these things are very dangerous. He wants us to stay away from these things regardless of what form they are in. For example, these occult practices may be the theme of a game, or a movie, or a book. If any of these themes are in something, do yourself a favor and avoid it.

Read it all at:

http://www.fillthevoid.org/Children/TheBattle/ForbiddenPractices/WhatisaForbiddenPractice.html

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bygrace
Advanced Member
Member # 4847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bygrace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is sad.

Why do parents fall for this?

Posts: 162 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 13 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://isp.netscape.com/lcisp/home/story.jsp?flok=FF-APO-
1404&idq=/ff/story/0001/20050721/1450290326.htm&sc
=1404&floc=isp-23&related=off&from=ent

(I had to break the URL apart because it was too long and would scroll the thread too far to the right)

Children Discover Magic at Potter Camps

By CARA RUBINSKY

NEW CANAAN, Conn. (AP) - Fifth-grader Bianca Schultz was eager to discuss ``Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince'' after she finished reading it Sunday in a marathon seven-hour session. She didn't have to wait long. Monday was the start of a popular summer camp run by the school district and modeled on Hogwarts, the magical boarding school Harry and his wizard friends attend.

``I'm such a big Harry Potter fan,'' said Bianca, who was thrilled to learn about the camp. ``It's just amazing because you actually do things like in the book. I get to talk to people my age who are just like me.''

The camp, like dozens of others across the country, is more popular than ever this year because it coincides with the release of the sixth book in author J.K. Rowling's seven-book series. About 9 million copies of the book sold in the first 24 hours it was available.

Although they're muggles - non-magic folk - the day camp students immerse themselves in Hogwarts' fictional world, donning capes and pointed hats, mixing potions and playing Quidditch, a favorite sport in the books.

``I've always loved the Harry Potter books, so it's a lot of fun to pretend to be some of the characters and dress up and do some of the stuff they would do,'' said Heather Sabel, a fifth-grader taking a break from potions class in a school science lab, where students dipped gummy frogs in chocolate and dropped antacid tablets in water to create ``emergency distraction capsules.''

Mark West, an English professor specializing in children's literature, ran a similar camp at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte for several years.

Rowling ``so thoroughly and creatively develops her world that you really can feel what it's like to be at Hogwarts,'' West said. ``For the kids who get into the stories, it's fun to kind of imagine that you are at Hogwarts, that you have those special abilities.''

Enrollment in New Canaan's ``Hop on the Hogwarts Express'' program has doubled to 120 students over the past six years. The camp is set up in South elementary school and campers are divided into four Hogwarts houses, but the names were changed because none of the kids wanted to be in Slytherin, made infamous in Rowling's books.

The houses spend time in different parts of the school - they play Quidditch in the gym, for example.

The biggest challenge this year was keeping campers who had finished the new book from revealing the ending to those who hadn't.

``We knew the book was coming out in July, but what we didn't realize was the book was going to come out two days before camp started,'' coordinator Karen Scalzo said.

Campers were required to sign an oath swearing they would talk about the newest book only with those who had finished it. Anyone who violated the oath would find his or her house docked 1,000 points, a major setback in the quest to win the House Cup awarded at the end of the program. Points were awarded for costumes, good behavior and participation.

The dozen or so who had read ``Half-Blood Prince'' were so excited that coordinators established a discussion group where they could talk about the book out of earshot of those still reading.

``They're very sophisticated readers, and they're aching to talk more,'' said teacher Judy Bosworth, who was surprised to find second- through eighth-graders discussing character development and dissecting the plot.

Another logistical challenge was how to run a real-life game of Quidditch, played in the book on flying broomsticks. In the camp's first year, the children used actual brooms. No one was injured, but coordinators decided the game would be safer with softer balls thrown by hand. The result is a complicated cross between dodge ball, soccer and basketball.

On the final day of camp, the four houses face off in a Quidditch tournament, followed by a feast.

Campers said they appreciate efforts to make things as much like Hogwarts as possible.

``I really like the books, and they don't exactly come to life here, 'cause it would be really hard to make them come to life,'' said seventh-grader Samantha Kaseta, ``but it is pretty close.''

--------------------
Psalm 119:104Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. 105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Posts: 3465 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement