Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » End Time Events In The News   » Pledge Declared Unconstitutional

Author Topic: Pledge Declared Unconstitutional
seekingmoreofjesus
unregistered

Icon 20 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone taken the time to look up the first amendment? I clearly states that the government can't set up a religion, but it also can stop a religion. It also states that we have the right of free speech. I have often wondered where some people get off thinking that if something offends them it should be made illegal. If this is true, do I then have the right to sue the people who infringe on my rights and upset me by their declaration of being offended by my belief in the Lord. Do I have the right to sue the government because they stop me from being able to pray anywhere I choose. I was a public school teacher for 8 years. We are told that to mention God in our classrooms is cause for dismissal. I could ,however, allow my daughter to learn about condoms and alternate lifestyles, a safe sex. It is my understanding that California is about to put textbooks in classrooms that explain the homosexual lifestyle. Where does the infringing on my rights ,to not be offended, stop? As a Christian, I know that in the end, these people who declaim anything associated with Christ will pay the ultimate price. I just pray for the patience to remain calm in the face of all the abuses.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disciple
unregistered

Icon 2 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Praise the Lord.

Count me in for Jesus, my allegience is with him.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 15 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen Thunder...

My Allegiance is to the Lamb of God YaHWeH, Yahshua Jesus the Messiah...
And that is a HEART PLEDGE...
im not concearned that they took "under God" out of the pledge of allegiance...

i can not NOR will not pledge allegaince to any world system..nor will my family...

USA does not "most of the time" follow God or His law...that would be most foolish for a "christain" to pledge allegiance to some thing or some one controlled by the "god os this world"././...amen

--------------------
The HEART of the issue is truly the issue of the HEART!
John 3:3;Mark 8:34-38;James 1:27

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thunderz7
Advanced Member
Member # 31

Icon 20 posted      Profile for Thunderz7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you heard the Ray Boltz song-{I Pledge allegiance to the LAMB}?
Has our time come to count the cost?
I pledge my allegiance to the LAMB, the King of King's, Lord of Lord's, to Jesus, the WORD
Y'shua ben YHWH

T7

Posts: 1113 | From: Northeast Alabama | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by barrykind:
What does Pledge mean?

What does Allegiance mean?

let me know please..Thanks\\

1- To Pledge; To act boldly or forcefully, especially in defending one's rights or stating an opinion.

2- Allegiance; with a safe conscience, as in duty, bound, on one's own responsibility, at one's own risk

Genesis 38:18 And he said, What pledge shall I give thee? And she said, Thy signet, and thy bracelets, and thy staff that [is] in thine hand. And he gave [it] her, and came in unto her, and she conceived by him.

Deuteronomy 24:11 Thou shalt stand abroad, and the man to whom thou dost lend shall bring out the pledge abroad unto thee.

Ezekiel 18:7 And hath not oppressed any, [but] hath restored to the debtor his pledge, hath spoiled none by violence, hath given his bread to the hungry, and hath covered the naked with a garment;

Thank you
In Christ
MAC

JOB 33:28 He hath redeemed my soul from going into the pit, And my life shall behold the light.
[Cross] [thumbsup]

--------------------
Romans 9:11-24

Our Eschatology may vary even our Ecclesiology may be disputed among us but our Soteriology most assume a singularity and exclusivity which in biblical term is known as Quote; "The Narrow Way" and Quote!

Posts: 2792 | From: Stockton,Ca | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noel
Advanced Member
Member # 71

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Noel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You've got a point there! Just what are you pledging yourself to??? Here is the old but beautiful Red Skelton's Thought on the pledge of Allegance.

During the night of January 14, 1969, Mr. Skelton was speaking about his boyhood memories of school. He stated that one of the things that really stood out was the way one of his teachers presented the Pledge of Allegiance. The following is the monolog he presented.

I've been listening to you boys and girls recite the Pledge of Allegiance all semester and it seems as though it is becoming monotonous to you. If I may, may I recite it and try to explain to you the meaning of each word?

I -- me, an individual, a committee of one.

Pledge -- dedicate all of my worldly goods to give without self-pity.

Allegiance -- my love and my devotion.

To the Flag -- our standard, Old Glory, a symbol of freedom. Wherever she waves, there's respect because your loyalty has given her a dignity that shouts freedom is everybody's job.

(of the)

United -- that means that we have all come together.

States [of America] -- individual communities that have united into 48 great states. 48 individual communities with pride and dignity and purpose, all divided with imaginary boundaries, yet united to a common purpose, and that's love for country.

and to the Republic For Which It Stands -- Republic ... a state in which sovereign power is invested in representatives chosen by the people to govern. And government is the people and it's from the people to the leaders, not from the leaders to the people.

One Nation -- One Nation ... meaning, so blessed by God.

Indivisible -- incapable of being divided.

With Liberty -- which is freedom, the right of power to live one's own life, without threats, fear, or some sort of retaliation.

And Justice -- the principle or qualities of dealing fairly with others.

For All -- For all ... which means, boys and girls, it's as much your country as it is mine.

And now boys and girls let me hear you recite, the Pledge of Allegiance.

Later:
Since I was a small boy, two states have been added to our country, and two words have been added to the Pledge of Allegiance, "under God." Wouldn't it be a pity if someone said, "That is a prayer," and that would be eliminated from schools, too?"

Red Skelton

Posts: 41 | From: KY | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's next the Constitution unconstitutional because it refers to a creator. Oh no some evolutionist might find that offensive. We all know Evolution is not a religion (NOT)
[boohoo.gif]

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can we have allegiance to a country not under God? Seems that should be against our religion or something!

You know my father was a WWII veteran and prisoner of war in Germany. My Father-in-Law is a retired Colonel who served ONE NATION UNDER GOD for more than 25 years and a veteran of the Korean and Viet Nam wars. I think they paid the price for their grandchildren to say "ONE NATION UNDER GOD in school!

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What does Pledge mean?

What does Allegiance mean?

let me know please..Thanks\\

--------------------
The HEART of the issue is truly the issue of the HEART!
John 3:3;Mark 8:34-38;James 1:27

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noel
Advanced Member
Member # 71

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Noel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PLEASE SIGN THE PETITON

FALWELL CONFIDENTIAL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DATE: June 26, 2002

Federal Court Says America No Longer One Nation 'Under God'

In what must be considered one of the darkest days in American legal history, a three-judge panel of the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals has decided to omit the words "under God" from the Pledge of Allegiance.

In a nation that was born out of reverence for and dependence on "the Creator" and "Divine Providence," we are now reduced to eliminating any words referring to a Deity solely because they may offend a few people.

As we prepare to celebrate America's 226th birthday, the nation we know and love is at a historic crossroads as civil libertarians and radical leftists attempt to strip the religious fiber of our founding from our present-day existence. This action is founded in a literal hatred for the America of our founding.

My good friend Mathew Staver, president and general counsel of Liberty Counsel and a man who has fought next to me in a few religious freedom battles, stated, "The absurdity of this opinion is what mandates that it be overturned. There is absolutely nothing unconstitutional about the phrase 'under God' in our pledge."

Mr. Staver noted that to issue this ruling because one person said they were offended is "an outrage."

"Most people," he said, "are offended every year when they make their checks out to the Internal Revenue Service, but that does not give them a constitutional right to sue to abolish the IRS." He added, "The federal court spit in the face of our veterans who shed their blood for the freedom we enjoy. If the Pledge is unconstitutional, then our currency is also called into question. Such a thought is intolerable."

Constitutional attorney Jay Sekulow of the American Center for Law and Justice agreed, saying, "The finding that the phrase 'under God' ... is an endorsement of religion is very troubling. ... The recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance - including the phrase 'One nation under God' - is part of who we are as Americans."

That's the key - there are forces at work in our nation that want to change who we are and who we have been. They want a completely secularized society that does not even recognize the God for whom our Founding Fathers expressed great fondness and dependence.

We are literally watching the re-writing of American history.

I agree with Family Research Council President Ken Connor who said today, "If the Pledge of Allegiance is unconstitutional, so is the Declaration of Independence."

He's right. We might as well burn all the flags, tear up the Constitution and start over so that every "offended" person in this nation has the "right" to feel good and comfy.

Urgent Petition

Actually, it's time to go to war!

It is high time that God-fearing, freedom-loving American people stand up and say, "Enough is enough!" If we don't do so right now, we will soon lose this culture war, as Pat Buchanan has defined it.

I, for one, am not going to sit back and allow this imbecilic decision to go unchallenged.

In fact, I am immediately launching a national campaign to gather one million names on a special petition this week - yes, this week! - in order to encourage the reversal of this decision.

This reversal can be achieved in only two ways: (1) The U.S. Supreme Court has the power to overturn this decision and should immediately call a special session for this purpose; (2) A Constitutional Amendment passed by the U.S. Congress, and also passed by 37 of our 50 state legislatures, can overrule this terrible decision and guarantee that no future court can ever do such a dastardly thing again.

The petition states: "As an American citizen and a person of faith, I am deeply troubled that the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals has outlawed the recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance to our flag in American public schools. This nation was founded upon the Judeo-Christian ethic and, over many years, has been often re-affirmed as "one nation under God". America will be observing her 226th birthday July 4. This judicial blemish must not be allowed to dampen our national celebration. I plead with every U.S. official with authority to impact the reversal of this heinous ruling to use that authority now. With our nation at war and the awesome challenges we face in this new millennium, we must not alienate God, people of faith and the recognition of our national character."

This is how I'm going to war. Will you join me?

Please join in this urgent petition and help me gather one million names that will be immediately forwarded to the nine Justices of the U.S. Supreme Court, all 535 members of the U.S. Congress, all 50 state governors, every member of our 50 state legislatures, and President George W. Bush.

After you sign this petition, I need you to forward this e-mail to your circle of friends/family who will join us in this fight. If we act together, we can quickly garner one million names by Friday to petition our leaders to immediately step in and overturn this ludicrous decision.

In the meantime, I urge all Americans - in public school classrooms, at public gatherings and anywhere else - to pledge allegiance to Old Glory often and loudly. They can't put us all in jail!
PETITION TO SIGN
END OF EMAIL

***Do you think they still want our money with Gods name on it??? [Roll Eyes]

***DOES THIS MEAN THEY WILL STILL SAY IT, BUT LEAVE "IN G-D WE TRUST OUT??????*************
IF SO I HOPE OUR CHRISTIAN KIDS ARE READY TO OBEY G-D OVER MAN- [Prayer]
p/s if you wonder why i leave the o out of God so much, i post with Christians and Jews and it defames the name to observant Jews. It's a habit.

Posts: 41 | From: KY | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In 1954, Congress after a campaign by the Knights of Columbus, added the words, 'under God,' to the Pledge. The Pledge was now both a patriotic oath and a public prayer.

The flag is the symbol of our national unity, our national endeavor, and our national aspiration.
The flag tells of the struggle for independence, of union preserved, of liberty and union one and inseparable, of the sacrifices of brave men and women to whom the ideals and honor of this nation have been dearer than life.
It means America first; it means an undivided allegiance.
It means America united, strong and efficient, equal to her tasks.
It means that you cannot be saved by the valor and devotion of your ancestors, that to each generation comes its patriotic duty; and that upon your willingness to sacrifice and endure as those before you have sacrificed and endured rests the national hope.
It speaks of equal rights, of the inspiration of free institutions exemplified and vindicated, of liberty under law intelligently conceived and impartially administrated. There is not a thread in it but scorns self-indulgence, weakness, and rapacity.
It is eloquent of our community interests, outweighing all divergencies of opinion, and of our common destiny.

I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

And so my fellow Americans as not what your country can do for you as for you can do for your country

Thank you
In Christ
MAC

JOB 33:28 He hath redeemed my soul from going into the pit, And my life shall behold the light.

On September 8,1892, the Boston based "The Youth's Companion" magazine published a few words for students to repeat on Columbus Day that year. Written by Francis Bellamy,the circulation manager and native of Rome, New York, and reprinted on thousands of leaflets, was sent out to public schools across the country. On October 12, 1892, the quadricentennial of Columbus' arrival, more than 12 million children recited the Pledge of Allegiance, thus beginning a required school-day ritual.
At the first National Flag Conference in Washington D.C., on June14, 1923, a change was made. For clarity, the words "the Flag of the United States" replaced "my flag". In the following years various other changes were suggested but were never formally adopted.
It was not until 1942 that Congress officially recognized the Pledge of Allegiance. One year later, in June 1943, the Supreme Court ruled that school children could not be forced to recite it. In fact,today only half of our fifty states have laws that encourage the recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance in the classroom!
In June of 1954 an amendment was made to add the words "under God". Then-President Dwight D. Eisenhower said "In this way we are reaffirming the transcendence of reigious faith in America's heritage and future; in this way we shall constantly strengthen those spiritual weapons which forever will be our country's most powerful resource in peace and war."

On June 14, 1777, in order to establish an official flag for the new nation, the Continental Congress passed the first Flag Act: "Resolved, That the flag of the United States be made of thirteen stripes, alternate red and white; that the union be thirteen stars, white in a blue field, representing a new Constellation." Act of January 13, 1794 - provided for 15 stripes and 15 stars after May 1795. Act of April 4, 1818 - provided for 13 stripes and one star for each state, to be added to the flag on the 4th of July following the admission of each new state, signed by President Monroe. Executive Order of President Taft dated June 24, 1912 - established proportions of the flag and provided for arrangement of the stars in six horizontal rows of eight each, a single point of each star to be upward. Executive Order of President Eisenhower dated January 3, 1959 - provided for the arrangement of the stars in seven rows of seven stars each, staggered horizontally and vertically. Executive Order of President Eisenhower dated August 21, 1959 - provided for the arrangement of the stars in nine rows of stars staggered horizon tally and eleven rows of stars staggered vertically.

[Cross] [flag]

--------------------
Romans 9:11-24

Our Eschatology may vary even our Ecclesiology may be disputed among us but our Soteriology most assume a singularity and exclusivity which in biblical term is known as Quote; "The Narrow Way" and Quote!

Posts: 2792 | From: Stockton,Ca | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is the CNN link
I guess we should have saw this coming. I am surprised it didn't happen a long time ago. It is very sad. [uhoh] [Frown] [uhoh]

http://www.cnn.com/2002/LAW/06/26/p...e.ap/index.html

Pledge of Allegiance ruled unconstitutional
June 26, 2002 Posted: 3:04 PM EDT (1904 GMT)
SAN FRANCISCO, California (AP) -- For the first time ever, a federal appeals court declared the Pledge of Allegiance unconstitutional Wednesday because of the words "under God" added by Congress in 1954.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said the phrase amounts to a government endorsement of religion in violation of the Constitution's Establishment Clause, which requires a separation of church and state.

"A profession that we are a nation 'under God' is identical, for Establishment Clause purposes, to a profession that we are a nation 'under Jesus,' a nation 'under Vishnu,' a nation 'under Zeus,' or a nation 'under no god,' because none of these professions can be neutral with respect to religion," Judge Alfred T. Goodwin wrote for the three-judge panel.

The appeals said that when President Eisenhower signed the legislation inserting "under God" after the words "one nation," he wrote that "millions of our schoolchildren will daily proclaim in every city and town, every village and rural schoolhouse, the dedication of our nation and our people to the Almighty."

The court noted that the U.S. Supreme Court has said students cannot hold religious invocations at graduations and cannot be compelled to recite the pledge. But when the pledge is recited in a classroom, a student who objects is confronted with an "unacceptable choice between participating and protesting," the appeals court said.

"Although students cannot be forced to participate in recitation of the pledge, the school district is nonetheless conveying a message of state endorsement of a religious belief when it requires public school teachers to recite, and lead the recitation of, the current form of the pledge," the court said.

The case was brought by Michael A. Newdow, a Sacramento atheist who objected because his second-grade daughter was required to recite the pledge at the Elk Grove school district. A federal judge dismissed his lawsuit, but the 9th Circuit ordered that the case proceed to trial.

"I'm an American citizen. I don't like my rights infringed upon by my government," he said in an interview. Newdow called the pledge a "religious idea that certain people don't agree with."

The government had argued that the religious content of "one nation under God" is minimal.

But the appeals court said that an atheist or a holder of certain non-Judeo-Christian beliefs could see it as an attempt to "enforce a 'religious orthodoxy' of monotheism."

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wed Jun 26, 2:22 PM ET
By DAVID KRAVETS, Associated Press Writer
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...of_allegiance_1

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - A federal appeals court ruled Wednesday that the Pledge of Allegiance is an unconstitutional endorsement of religion and cannot be recited in schools.
[mad2]

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement