Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » End Time Events In The News   » Floods Rage in Southern Russia; at Least 26 Reported Dead

Author Topic: Floods Rage in Southern Russia; at Least 26 Reported Dead
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 2 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Kindgo, for being faithful..
We appreciate your labor of love, always seeking out end time, and christian news for us..

Thanks, it does not go un-noticed..

God BLess

[thumbsup]

--------------------
The HEART of the issue is truly the issue of the HEART!
John 3:3;Mark 8:34-38;James 1:27

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[tears] [uhoh] [tears]

ROSTOV-ON-DON, Russia June 29 — The death toll from flooding in southern Russia climbed to 93 on Saturday, emergency officials said, and President Vladimir Putin took local authorities to task for not doing more to help victims.

Two local officials in the Stavropol region have already face criminal charges for failure to inform people of the impending flood, the newspaper Izvestia reported Saturday.

The floods have forced thousands to flee their homes and caused more than $385 million in damage. On Friday, the Russian president toured the flood-ravaged region.

"We have visited the camp set up by the emergency situations workers, the best one, I was told," Putin said on RTR television Saturday.

"If this was the best one, I wonder how people live in other camps," Putin said. "Bad, everything is very bad, I haven't seen anything good at all."

Putin said he saw victims sitting in the camps naked and barefoot, sleeping in tents erected in mud. "We must do everything for them to have food and drinking water and a little money.

Forty-seven people lost their lives in the Stavropol region, 31 in the Krasnodar region, 10 in the Karachayevo-Cherkessia region, four in North Ossetia and one in Kabardino-Balkeria, the duty officer at the regional Emergency Situations Ministry said.

Putin said poor preparation by local authorities had significantly increased the region's misery.

"I've said good things about the rescuers" from the army and the Ministry for Emergency Situations. "Unfortunately, I cannot say the same about the local powers, the regional powers, and to a certain extent, about federal powers."

"If things had been put in place earlier, maybe the damage would have been minimized and the victims would have been fewer. The system of notification practically didn't exist," the president said.

web page

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Associated Press
Published: Jun 22, 2002

ROSTOV-ON-DON, Russia (AP) - Heavy rains pelting southern Russia have caused floods that have killed at least 26 people and left as many as 20,000 homeless, emergency officials said Saturday.
Six other people have been reported missing in the floods that have hit 19 southern Russian regions, said Lt. Col. Yuri Kolodkin, the duty officer at an army flood relief headquarters set up on the orders of President Vladimir Putin.

Some of the victims were killed when their homes collapsed while others died of exposure or heart attacks that authorities linked to the flooding, Kolodkin said.

The dead included 14 people in the Stavropol territory and 10 in the republic of Karachayevo-Cherkessia, an Emergency Situations Ministry spokesman in Moscow said.

Up to 20,000 people were left homeless and more than 5,000 people were evacuated from affected areas, said spokesman Viktor Beltsov.

The floods have washed out bridges, damaged power and telephone lines and caused sewage systems to overflow.

Putin met with his top ministers in the Kremlin on Saturday to discuss the flood situation in several regions including the breakaway republic of Chechnya.

He ordered Defense Minister Sergei Ivanov to mobilize military forces based in Chechnya to provide aid to flood victims, presidential press secretary Alexei Gromov said.

In North Ossetia, regional Emergency Situations Minister Boris Dzgoyev said thousands of people were trapped in their villages by rising waters and some were being evacuated by helicopter. He said two villages were washed away and five others badly damaged.

Forecasters predicted the rains will continue through the weekend.

http://c1.zedo.com/ads2/i/3853/0/152009197/0/i.html?e=i;s=91;b=%23ffffff;d=1;z=0.7762169709637882

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement