Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » End Time Events In The News   » Stonehenge open to pagans for summer solstice

Author Topic: Stonehenge open to pagans for summer solstice
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 16 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Debbie, glad to have you here at the Christian Message Boards... [spiny]

We have something for everyone here..make yourself at home... [Smile]

That must have been an experience, once you understood what transpires there.. [uhoh]

Enjoy good fellowship here; again Welcome:

--------------------
The HEART of the issue is truly the issue of the HEART!
John 3:3;Mark 8:34-38;James 1:27

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Debbie
Advanced Member
Member # 32

Icon 20 posted      Profile for Debbie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi~ This is my very first post. I just had to say that I was at Stonehenge on a student trip on June 21, back when people could climb over the stones (1969). I was c-o-l-d that day. My teeth were chattering. In the paper next day, the headlines and large center photograph was all about the Druids dancing naked on the main stone, having their celebration etc. Judy Garland was found dead in her flat, too. At the time I was a naive 18 year old, but in looking back, I shudder at being so near that kind of darkness.
Posts: 23 | From: Tampa Bay Area | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Evil havin a party tonight.... [fie] [Mad] [uhoh]
Stonehenge open for solstice

The atmosphere was happy as the sun came up

Thousands of people gathered at Stonehenge on Friday morning for a peaceful celebration of the summer solstice.
The dawn, despite being hidden by a thick cloud, was greeted by the assembled crowds with gongs, drums, whistles and whoops.

The revellers came from all over, new age travellers, druids, hare-krishnas, who all celebrated the solstice in their own manner amid a cloud of smoke and incense haze.

'Wonderful atmosphere'

Police said although some people flouted the rules and tried to climb the stones, there was a "good atmosphere at the site.

English Heritage Stonehenge director Clews Everard said: "There's been a really wonderful atmosphere and everyone seems to have been having a good time.

"It's good to see so many people of all different ages, classes, types and creeds enjoying themselves."

The site was opened at 2000BST on Thursday and had closed by 0700BST.

As the sun came up the assembled Kings Drums group banged out the beat, not unlike a Brazilian samba.

There's a very bizarre mix of people here, witches and druids with knives drinking out of silver goblets

Dean Feebry, spectator

The England football fans were also in evidence - some revellers brought St George flags to wave.

Chemist Dean Feebry, 27, from Staines said: "There's a very bizarre mix of people here, witches and druids with knives drinking out of silver goblets.

But it's good, it's quite a spiritual place."

Jen Bodimer, 24, from Canada, said: "It's pretty strange, not what I imagined, but it's pretty amazing."

Dr Simon Thurley, chief executive of English Heritage, said he was pleased to welcome people to Stonehenge for the solstice.

"This builds on the considerable success of the celebrations in 2000 and 2001."

The 15-year ban on solstice celebrations at the site was lifted in 2000.

The sacred Wiltshire stones were protected by a four-mile exclusion order during the summer solstice from the 1980s, following a series of public order problems.

During the year, paying visitors are prevented from going up to the stones themselves, unless special arrangements are made.

The Wiltshire stones are all that remain of a sequence of monuments on the site between about 3000 and 1600 BC.

Each was circular and aligned with the rising of the sun at the midsummer solstice - the longest day of the year.

The purpose of the stones themselves is still shrouded in mystery although druids regard them as living temple.

Some historians say it was built by a sun-worshipping culture; others that it aligns with the sunrise because its banks were part of a huge astronomical calendar.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk...000/2055232.stm

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement