Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Polls Only   » the Gift of Eternal Life

Author Topic: the Gift of Eternal Life
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 18 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KnowHim very solid message by the Brother on YouTube

the man is preaching what I believe... that salvation is not instant but progressive and only those that endure till the end will be saved.

Many seeds are planted only a few will develop into the desired result.

Yahshua died and rose again that the seed of “eternal Life” could be sown freely in the hearts of men by those that would follow His example.

But …How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation? (Hebrews 2:3)

This question floods the mind with other important questions. Who is being referred to by the pronoun we? How shall we escape what? What is in view in the expression so great salvation? What does it mean to neglect this great salvation?

The so great salvation that is proclaimed is the person and work of Jesus Christ. The great salvation is about the great Savior (Lk. 2:30; Jn. 4:22, 42; 14:6; Acts 4:12).

Salvation is synonymous with the Savior. The context is speaking of the preaching of Jesus who is greater than the prophets and the angels who spoke with authority before His incarnation. God is speaking to us in His Son. Because He is the greater witness of the Father we must pay much closer attention to what we have heard (Heb. 2:11). Since the word spoken through angels proved unalterable, and every transgression and disobedience received a just recompense, how shall we escape if we neglect so great a salvation? (vv. 2-3a). Moreover, after the Lord spoke it was confirmed by those who heard it, and by God bearing witnesses with them, both by signs and wonders and by various miracles and by gifts of the Holy Spirit according to His own will (v. 4).

Jesus Christ revealed God’s great plan of salvation. In Christ we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace which He lavished upon us (Eph. 1:7-8; cf. 2 Cor. 5:21; Rom. 3:21-26; 5:6-8; 10:9-10; Eph. 2:8-9).

The gospel of your salvation is the power of God unto salvation to everyone who believes (Acts 3:26; 16:31; Rom. 1:16). The excellency in this so great salvation is in the person who saves the lost sinner. Jesus, the Son of God, is the salvation of Yahweh.

What is it from which we are saved? It is the wrath of God that every sinner deserves. The most frightful conception comes infinitely short of the most dreadful reality, observes A. W. Pink.
What are the benefits of so great salvation? It is the blessed fact of a full, free, and everlasting forgiveness of our sins, a perfect purity, and perfect relationship forever in the eternal presence of the LORD God (1 John 1:9).

How were these blessings obtained for us? It was through the vicarious suffering of our substitutionary sacrifice on the cross at Calvary. The only begotten Son of God was also the Lamb of God that takes away our sins (John 1:29). This so great salvation is free to all who will receive the Savior, and His finished work of salvation by faith (John 1:12-13; 3:16, 36).

How can a person neglect so great salvation that God has provided in His grace and mercy? The writer of Hebrews is stressing the personal responsibility to hear and respond to the word of salvation (Matt. 10:32-33). The sinner must accept this great message of salvation. It deserves our full acceptance that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners (1 Tim. 1:15).

To neglect the great salvation is nothing short of despising God Himself. The good news of Jesus Christ is a divine mandate, and to disregard it is to put the sinner in imminent danger of eternal suffering. God pleads for every person to repent of their sins and unbelief, and trust in Christ as their Savior today. To fail to do so will only lead to eternal punishment (John 3:18; 1 Peter 4:17-18; 2 Thess. 1:8-9; Heb. 10:26-31).
Why would anyone want to make light of this wonderful salvation in Jesus Christ? To neglect is to remain inattentive and unbelieving?

Neglecting will render escape impossible. What do you have to do to be lost? Nothing. Absolutely nothing!
How then shall we escape eternal damnation? Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you shall be saved (Acts 16:31).
The greatness of this great salvation is in the offer of the LORD God who comes to us. The Lord Jesus preached, the Father bore witness, and the Holy Spirit came as the power of God to do His work in us. How great a salvation!
In one sense they had been saved (from the penalty of sin), in another sense they were still being saved (from the power of sin), in still another sense they were yet to be saved (from the presence of sin). But God ever deals with His people as accountable creatures. As moral beings . . . He addresses their responsibility, writes Pink (An Exposition of Hebrews, p. 89). And so it is with us today.
Selah!

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
botham
Advanced Member
Member # 7935

Icon 16 posted      Profile for botham     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can one lose their salvation? Only if God goes back on His word like people do! So all that remains is to determine if one is saved. That is the real question. I think this discussion could go on and on and on and on ------and no meeting of the minds will occur. So what is the point of the question? God bless, Botham
Posts: 103 | From: canada | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo Grequi
Advanced Member
Member # 3984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eduardo Grequi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will second the Amen!

Ps 118:17 NKJV

Posts: 771 | From: Belvidere, IL | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brother Paul
Advanced Member
Member # 7959

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brother Paul   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will give an amen to that, KnowHim...

Paul

Posts: 235 | From: Cambridge, MA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 2 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWqaG1aZtPU

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brother Paul:
Can a person who is actually saved (born of His Spirit) lose their salvation?

Well that is a big question as it depends on what people think saved actually means.

If they have come to know Jesus Christ and given their life to Him. No they can not.

If they have just walked the isle or said a sinners prayer but never came to know Jesus Christ then they are still lost to begin with.

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brother Paul
Advanced Member
Member # 7959

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brother Paul   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great response. I wonder if there are any others perhaps with a different understanding? I know I messed up this presentation as a poll...I was not sure of how to use the format so maybe next time it will be "a POLL"...

Thanks for your patience

Posts: 235 | From: Cambridge, MA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo Grequi
Advanced Member
Member # 3984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eduardo Grequi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That question has two potential answers, only God can give you the right answer. But for myself, I do believe you can not loose your salvation because it is by grace and not of works. I have to decide if a person says one thing but they live another, is that person truly saved based on what you see? The answer is stay away from a mongrel until he has returned back to Jesus.
What is a mongrel? A mongrel is mixed between many breeds or nature. Spiritual speaking a mongrel is the one who sits one foot in the world and one foot in heaven.

(Rev 3:15) I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I would that you were cold or hot.(Rev 3:16) So because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth.

I will spew thee out of my mouth; this shows how nauseous lukewarmness is to Christ, insomuch that on account of it he would not own and acknowledge her as his; but even cast her out, unchurch her, and have no more any such imperfect church state upon earth, as he afterwards never will, this is the last; nor is there any church state, or any remains of one in Laodicea; it is indeed quite uninhabited.

(1Jn 2:1) My little children, I write these things to you so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.(1Jn 2:2) And He is the propitiation concerning our sins, and not concerning ours only, but also concerning the sins of all the world.

The word of God declares we may know that we have eternal life.
(1Jn 5:9) If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater. For this is the witness of God which He has testified about His Son.(1Jn 5:10) He who believes on the Son of God has the witness in himself. He who does not believe God has made Him a liar, because he does not believe the record that God gave of His Son.
(1Jn 5:11) And this is the record, that God has given to us everlasting life, and this life is in His Son.(1Jn 5:12) He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.(1Jn 5:13) I have written these things to you who believe on the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have everlasting life, and that you may believe on the name of the Son of God.

A head knowledge concerning the existence of God thru Jesus is not the same as living for Jesus.

(Rom 10:8) But what does it say? "The Word is near you, even in your mouth and in your heart"; that is, the Word of Faith which we proclaim;
(Rom 10:9) Because if you confess the Lord Jesus, and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you shall be saved.
(Rom 10:10) For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth one confesses unto salvation.

(Rom 12:1) I beseech you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God to present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, pleasing to God, which is your reasonable service.(Rom 12:2) And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, in order to prove by you what is that good and pleasing and perfect will of God.

We have to live our lives as an axample of love displaying Jesus as the cornerstone of our extence.

Posts: 771 | From: Belvidere, IL | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brother Paul
Advanced Member
Member # 7959

Can a person who is actually saved (born of His Spirit) lose their salvation?

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement