Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Polls Only   » Grace a license to sin or the ability to obey?

Author Topic: Grace a license to sin or the ability to obey?
Talmid
Community Member
Member # 8859

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Talmid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rom 7:15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Rom 7:16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good.

Rom 7:17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me.

Rom 7:18 I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out.

Rom 7:19 For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing.

Rom 7:20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

Rom 7:21 So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me.

Rom 7:22 For in my inner being I delight in God's law;

Rom 7:23 but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members.

Rom 7:24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?

Rom 7:25 Thanks be to God—through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God's law, but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin.

--------------------
"I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another."

Posts: 7 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 6 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
7.Don't bring up old threads. If you want to reply to an old thread (over 45 days), please start a new thread and reference the old thread.

Proverbs 26:16 The sluggard is wiser in his own conceit than seven men that can render a reason.

[cool_shades]

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 18 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"if'

if a person is "Born Again" he or she is a "new creature"

if you do not love the things Yahweh loves you are not a "new creature" yet....

the "born again" man or woman may not walk perfectly but they will embrace the entirety of scripture and endeavor to live out the principles contained therein....

to many so called Christian chide and make little of that which Yahweh in His word says is perfect.....

Psalm 19.....

1The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.

2Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge.

3There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard.

4Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun,

5Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race.

6His going forth is from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof.

7The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.

8The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.

9The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.

10More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

11Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.

12Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults.

13Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression.

14Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

2 Corinthians 3

1Do we begin again to commend ourselves? or need we, as some others, epistles of commendation to you, or letters of commendation from you?

2Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:

3Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.

4And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward:

5Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;

6Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

7But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:

8How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?

9For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.

10For even that which was made glorious had no glory in this respect, by reason of the glory that excelleth.

11For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious.

12Seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness of speech:

13And not as Moses, which put a veil over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished:

14But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.

15But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart.

16Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away.

17Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

18But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crixus
Advanced Member
Member # 8527

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crixus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I don't think grace is a license to sin. I believe that there comes a point to where God pulls the plug, for lack of a better term. We can only turn our back on Him for so long. If we don't show that were serious about repentance, then we will pay the ultimate price... an eternity in Hell. [mad2]

--------------------
Keepin' the faith!

Posts: 26 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi DS, it's nice to meet you!

I think this was set up as an open opinion topic.

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thywillbedone
Community Member
Member # 8469

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thywillbedone         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jesus is the Christ.

Very true.

If we sheep say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us, because sheep can not talk.

Praise the Lord!

Posts: 10 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only Jesus Christ ever lived a life without sin!

If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us. (1 John 1:8)

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thywillbedone
Community Member
Member # 8469

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thywillbedone         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jesus is the Christ!

Dead men(in Christ) can not keep or break any of God's laws.

If you are still "keeping" them, you are not yet dead to sin.

"deny yourself"

Reckon yourself to be dead indead unto sin.

The Sabbath was made for man...
The sheep of the Good Shepherd do not have to keep it.

Praise the Lord!

Posts: 10 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 21 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by John Hale:
Romans 3:8 (NASB95)
8 And why not say (as we are slanderously reported and as some claim that we say), “Let us do evil that good may come”? Their condemnation is just.

1. let us sin more that more , cus we have security in Christ?

What have you done or are doing my little brother?

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Hale
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Romans 3:8 (NASB95)
8 And why not say (as we are slanderously reported and as some claim that we say), “Let us do evil that good may come”? Their condemnation is just.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry44
Advanced Member
Member # 8375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry44   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We keep the Spirit of the law not the letter of the law.

This song says it all: Praise God It's Settled, I'm Saved - The Perrys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS_eIDm061I&feature=player_embedded

--------------------
http://wordoftruth.freeforums.org/index.php

Posts: 63 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To answer your question brother Dale...NO!

--------------------
The HEART of the issue is truly the issue of the HEART!
John 3:3;Mark 8:34-38;James 1:27

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 18 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KnowHim:
NO, everyone will answer for any of the 10 Commandments. So if you break even one of them you are bound for hell.

The good news is, Jesus came to pay our sin dept.

But it is not easy believism, you must know Him and if you know Him you will not want to sin but live for Him.

We know that we have come to know him if we obey his commands. The man who says, “I know him,” but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But if anyone obeys his word, God’s love is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in him: Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.
~ 1 John 2:3-6 (NIV)

Actually it goes a little deeper for those who Walk with Him.

James, Chapter 4, 17: Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

As I obeyed in the service to our country. I held myself to...

John, Chapter 15, 13: Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

--------------------
That is all.....

barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brother David States:

quote:
NO, everyone will answer for any of the 10 Commandments. So if you break even one of them you are bound for hell.

But it is not easy believism, you must know Him and if you know Him you will not want to sin but live for Him.

We know that we have come to know him if we obey his commands. The man who says, “I know him,” but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But if anyone obeys his word, God’s love is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in him: Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

Amen brother David

--------------------
The HEART of the issue is truly the issue of the HEART!
John 3:3;Mark 8:34-38;James 1:27

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mathews
Advanced Member
Member # 7873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mathews     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good material to correct our day to day life
mathews

--------------------
mathews

Posts: 23 | From: U A E | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wombataustralia7
Member # 7893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wombataustralia7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No we are not free of the Ten Commandments because of Salvation through Grace.

Once we are saved we are obliged to adhere to The Ten Commandments as a way of good Christian Living.

There is certain rules and regulations of being a Christian born again or other, and that is to KEEP the Ten Commandments.

Not to destroy or being covetous.

Posts: 4 | From: Healesville, Victoria, AUSTRALIA | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo Grequi
Advanced Member
Member # 3984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eduardo Grequi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are Christians free from the 10 commandments?

should be asked Are Christians free from the penalty of breaking the 10 commandments?

what is the penalty and how does it define grace contrast to it?

whether bond or free the 10 remain law and guides ethics and values.

For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life (Romans 6:23)- Disobedience embarks death, repentance establishes peace. When obedience is done apart from grace it is called works selfish peity, however when obedence occurs because of grace it displays love, desire and a changed heart Romans 12:1-2. Our society would be dubbed "a motherless child". In other words the world we live in have switched what would be wrong for good and good for wrong. Today it is wrong to say Praise Jesus but its okay to say I am going to sue you Mom. And the defiant rude and vulgar words are so readily accepted that those who hear it react with such approval to it. Christians have unknowingly (or maybe knowingly) accepted vulgar language as every day speech. Everyones doing it then it must be okay. That is a so called '60's slogan of the age. But contrary to popular belief not everyone is doing it. If I am not doing this, then the aproval goes to not all. Remember Christians a silent voice assumes approval. Is your voice heard today?

Posts: 771 | From: Belvidere, IL | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Found in Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
why would any child of God want to be "free" from the commandments??????? Breaking any one of the commandments violates what Christ set in order for us...If we love God with all of our hearts, souls and minds and love our neighbor as ourselves we will keep every commandment.

I am saved by grace through faith... my heart desires have been changed as I was shown my sins by the Holy Spirit's conviction. I am "free" of the bondage of sin! That's Grace!

“If, while we seek to be justified in Christ, it becomes evident that we ourselves are sinners, does that mean that Christ promotes sin? Absolutely not! 18If I rebuild what I destroyed, I prove that I am a lawbreaker. 19For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God. 20I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. 21I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!” (Gal 2)

--------------------
~To Him That is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy...to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.~ Jude 24

Posts: 1503 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 18 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are Christians free of the 10 Commandments of Yahweh, because of the free gift of Salvation through Grace?

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement