Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Polls Only   » sound doctrine?

Author Topic: sound doctrine?
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Harrison:
I dont care if a woman is naked in front of you, if you lust, you have transgressed the grace of God. Or, contrary to His word, do you believe HE is not sufficient to you? It is another subject altogether whether you should tempt another.

Actually I believe the question was should a Christian man or woman tempt another? I believe that was the question.

And no they should not. The bible clearly states that.

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We must constantly strive to remove the worldly influences from among us, especially when it comes to attire in warmer weather. We are told by Paul in 1 Timothy 2:9-10 and Peter in 1 Peter 3:1-4:

Likewise, I want women to adorn themselves with proper clothing, modestly and discreetly , not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly garments; but rather by means of good works, as befits women making a claim to godliness.

In the same way, you wives, be submissive to your own husbands so that even if any of them are disobedient to the word, they may be won without a word by the behavior of their wives, as they observe your chaste and respectful behavior . And let not your adornment be merely external-- braiding the hair, and wearing gold jewelry, or putting on dresses; but let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God.

Furthermore, in Romans 12:2:
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.

We can see in these verses the need for modesty, and to present ourselves as different from the standards of the world

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont care if a woman is naked in front of you, if you lust, you have transgressed the grace of God. Or, contrary to His word, do you believe HE is not sufficient to you? It is another subject altogether whether you should tempt another.
Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TB125
Advanced Member
Member # 2450

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB125   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BecauseHeLives,
OK. I agree that "if" is an important condition for one's salvation. It is the focus of another thread on "Our faith is shur" at the top of this forum. I think that we are probably in agreement regarding such matters as modesty and immodesty, humility and pride, honesty and lying, etc. Thanks for your response.

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 449 | From: Rockford Illinois | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I understand that a believer's modest behavior and attitudes can be a very important part of his or her testimony, and they will serve to glorify God, but I'm not sure that immodesty is the "unforgivable" sin. Are you saying that it is?
Bob, no immodesty is not the unforgivable sin.....

but I must say at the same time, if a person is saved, born again, made new, washed clean, had the Holy Spirit come to live in an individual

...changes is inevitable if...!

if the individual yields to the Spirit.....

the born again person Yahshua said has been made wholly clean but that everyday after that initial cleansing, there is a daily having your feet cleansed because of the dirt we come in contact with in our daily walk.....

1 John 1
9If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

that word "if" is going to bring many to Spiritual ruin....

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TB125
Advanced Member
Member # 2450

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB125   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BecauseHeLives,
Thanks for the compliment regarding my webpage. Apparently you make this statement
quote:
I do not believe a believer has a choice in the matter of modesty....

to emphasize the point of your initial question for this thread. You seem to believe that the believer must dress modestly in accord to the "sound doctrine" of biblical teaching if he or she is not to be judged as lying regarding his or her "fellowship" with God (Yahweh)and he or she must be continuing to "walk in darkness".

How legalistic are you about this doctrine? And others that may be somewhat similar? Are individuals who refuse to be humble and live in accord with the virtue of humility also walking in "darkness"? What about believers who are not very generous or sharing in their stewardship and gifts to those in need? Are there degrees of stewardship that are more evidence of a believer's lack of "fellowship" with God than other degrees that might be seen as being evidence of one's "walk with" God?

I understand that a believer's modest behavior and attitudes can be a very important part of his or her testimony, and they will serve to glorify God, but I'm not sure that immodesty is the "unforgivable" sin. Are you saying that it is?

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 449 | From: Rockford Illinois | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 18 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob, I enjoyed your web page, has very good insight but...

I do not believe a believer has a choice in the matter of modesty....

when the man with demons was naked and out of his mind and Yahshua found him.... Yahshua set him free....

35And [people] went out to see what had occurred, and they came to Jesus and found the man from whom the demons had gone out, sitting at the feet of Jesus, clothed and in his right (sound) mind; and they were seized with alarm and fear.

people that Yahshua has set free clothe themselves.... I've talked to missionaries that have told me first hand that when the gospel is preached and men and women are saved they put clothes on without anyone telling them they need clothes!

when people are unruly and unrestrained they are immodest.....

when the Holy Spirit come He brings rule and restraint to the yielded heart....

but what the Holy Spirit brings and what I chose to yield to are separate things....

only when I yield is the cross effective in a life and salvation is never complete till the end of the race...

i am sure my prospective is different than some that do not understand the parable of the sower the same as i do....

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TB125
Advanced Member
Member # 2450

Betty,
Our misunderstanding has been corrected. We're OK.

--------------------
Bob

TB125
Advanced Member
Member # 2450

BecauseHelives,
Thanks for the alert to the faulty link. I fixed it so that it works now. Apparently the period at the end of the sentence prevented the link from working. I've heard that the presence of a period at the end of link can do that. Sorry for the problem. I would be glad to have you read my statement.

--------------------
Bob

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 18 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob link not working.....

my point for the post was sound doctrine....

the scriptures say in the last days people would not endure sound doctrine.....

today if you preach or teach on modesty in the church, you are called a legalistic....

Yahweh has a remnant, the remnant will not except the ways of this world, they suffer name calling abuse and in some cases physical assault for the cause of Holiness in Yahshua that Yahweh calls His people to walk....

1Jo 1:6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:

--------------------

Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob,

I misunderstood. I thought you were saying that I did not know what modesty was. I have always been a modest person, somewhat shy.
sorry for the misunderstanding.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TB125
Advanced Member
Member # 2450

Betty,
My message wasn't addressed to you in particular. It wasn't addressed to any viewer in particular. It was only provided as a reference to a statement that might be helpful in the discussion of this topic of modesty. I'm sorry if you thought that I was somehow questioning your modesty. [Smile]

--------------------
Bob

Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob,
I am a modest person. I think I made that clear.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TB125
Advanced Member
Member # 2450

Modesty is a virtue that has benefits beyond just helping men to control their lusts. It has a lot to do with self respect. For a brief statement regarding the eternal benefits of this virtue of modesty see my statement on "Modesty" on my website at http://christianityetc.org/modesty.php

--------------------
Bob

Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

I honestly do not believe Christian women should go out dressed vulgarly in a way to tempt men to lust.
In my life, when I was 18, I have only owned one two piece bathing suit and it was extremely modest and would look old fogy compared today's 2 piece suits.
At 56 at just weeks from being 57, I wear a one piece with a skirt and only swim in my own pool. When I was a member of the YMCA. I did go in the whirl pool but I had my towel around me until I stepped into the whirl pool but even then I preferred it when it was just me and hubby.

This said men can not blame women on all their lust. I read that in Muslim countries where women are covered from head to toe that men are obsessed with talking about sex.

But in answer to your question, I believe Christian women should dress modestly.
betty

--------------------

yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yahsway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, i for one believe a christian man/woman should be modest in their dress, not causing others to stumble.

bikinis/underwear is not modest out in public.

I know of churches who take their youth groups to the lake or public pool and let their girls wear bikinis ect.. With "raging hormones" during those teenage years, its not a good idea.

In fact, i often wonder what these youth pastors are thinking?

Posts: 1238 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 17 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How many people on this board believe a christian man or woman can go out in public in their underwear or swim wear such as bikinis and such?

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement