Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Polls Only   » What should i do?

Author Topic: What should i do?
Zeena
Advanced Member
Member # 7223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zeena   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by friendlyrose:
I think you should tell them what you did, ask for forgiveness, and how much the item cost, and replace it or give them the money. It is not their fault if you do not have the money, they probably needed the item and do not have the money to replace it either. It seems to be bothering you, which is a good thing, your conscience is working, and it is the right thing to do. It may be hard, but you will be rewarded for doing the right thing.

Agreed [Smile]

--------------------
Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

But I trust that ye shall know that we are not reprobates.

Posts: 749 | From: Toronto, Canada-EH! | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
friendlyrose
Advanced Member
Member # 6608

Icon 1 posted      Profile for friendlyrose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you should tell them what you did, ask for forgiveness, and how much the item cost, and replace it or give them the money. It is not their fault if you do not have the money, they probably needed the item and do not have the money to replace it either. It seems to be bothering you, which is a good thing, your conscience is working, and it is the right thing to do. It may be hard, but you will be rewarded for doing the right thing.
Posts: 21 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeena
Advanced Member
Member # 7223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zeena   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WildB:
Exod.22
[1] If a man shall steal an ox, or a sheep, and kill it, or sell it; he shall restore five oxen for an ox, and four sheep for a sheep.
[4] If the theft be certainly found in his hand alive, whether it be ox, or ars , or sheep; he shall restore double.

Romans 7:9
I was alive once without the law, but when the commandment came, sin revived and I died.

Galatians 2:19
For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God.

Romans 7:6
But now we have been released from the Law, having died to that by which we were bound, so that we serve in newness of the Spirit and not in oldness of the letter.

--------------------
Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

But I trust that ye shall know that we are not reprobates.

Posts: 749 | From: Toronto, Canada-EH! | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the heart of any issue is the issue of the heart...

Tax collectors have never been popular. But in Roman Palestine, they were particularly hated. It was bad enough that they collaborated with the foreign oppressors. It’s understandable that the Jews felt about the same thing for the Romans as the French did for the occupying Nazis in World War II.

But the Roman system of “tax farming” made tax collectors especially despised. The Romans wanted to collect as much tax as they could without tying up there own personnel. So they recruited locals and gave them a percentage of what was collected. The more they could wring out of the people, the more they could keep.

So these blood-suckers profited off their countrymen’s misfortune. In so doing, they helped raise the funds necessary to finance the brutal repression of the chosen people by the pagans. Obviously, these dogs were beyond the pale, repugnant to all decent, God-fearing people, the enemies of God Hiimself.

Zacchaeus should have known that there was no hope for him. After all, he had done a particularly good job of extorting money from his countryman, for Luke 19:1 says he was a wealthy man.

But when Jesus came to Jericho, Zacchaeus just had to “see what he was like.” In John 6:44, Jesus says “no one can come to me unless the Father draws Him.” The tug that Zacchaeus felt inside was the grace of God drawing him to his Son. Chances are that God wished to draw others to come out into the street and see the Savior of the world. But many probably were just too busy. For them it was just business as usual.

Zacchaeus, on the other hand, not only dropped what he was doing, but went to great lengths to respond to this inner prompting of grace. He had a hard time seeing, for he was “small of stature.” So he tried to run in front of the crowd, and ultimately climbed a sycamore tree to get a good view of the celebrity.

There were many in the crowd. But Jesus zeroed right in on the short man in the tree. He had never met him, but called him by name: “Zacchaeus, hurry down, for I mean to stay at your house today.” To understand how shocking this was, consider that Jews made themselves ritually impure by entering the house of a public sinner. But this, of course, was not any Jew. A sinner could not make Him impure. Rather, He would purify the sinner.

Jesus saw past Zacchaeus’ crimes to his heart, which was open to the grace that prompted him to climb that tree. Inviting himself to the tax-collector’s home meant an offer of forgiveness, mercy, acceptance by God.

People knew this, and were stunned. They began to grumble. But Zacchaeus “stood his ground.” He was determined not to lose his chance at redemption. He instinctively knew that accepting Jesus into his home meant that his life had to change. His wealth had come at the expense of his people. Clinging to it would mean letting Jesus go. He had to choose. “I give half my belongings, Lord, to the poor. If I have defrauded anyone in the least, I pay him back fourfold.”

Notice that he did not buy his forgiveness through this almsgiving. He had already been offered mercy. Salvation came to Zacchaeus not by his initiative, but by God’s. Grace moved him out to the street and up the tree. And the offer to do lunch together was pure grace.

Yet Zacchaeus could have declined the offer. God is not about forced entry. The door must be opened from the inside. We must make the decision to yield to His mercy and receive the gift. And to receive the gift means that our hands must be empty. There are things we must let go if we want to grasp the hand of Christ. Like stolen goods, for example.

For Zacchaeus, it was a no-brainer. What he had to give up was nothing compared to what he was being offered. Is the choice as clear to you?

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could talk to them about it and then do what they ask. God wants us to care about people, not just perform duties. Besides, you might win some great friends that way!
Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CupOfMilk
Member # 7171

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CupOfMilk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you saying i should give back 4x as much as i stole?
Posts: 3 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exod.22
[1] If a man shall steal an ox, or a sheep, and kill it, or sell it; he shall restore five oxen for an ox, and four sheep for a sheep.
[4] If the theft be certainly found in his hand alive, whether it be ox, or ars , or sheep; he shall restore double.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CupOfMilk
Member # 7171

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CupOfMilk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry the poll messed up just vote on the first one.
Posts: 3 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CupOfMilk
Member # 7171

Before i was a Chrisitan i stole sotmhing from one of my neighbors it was about 6 years ago the thing broke and now i am wondering if i should give them money to re pay for the thing i stole.
The problem is i dont have the money nor do i know how much the item cost. What should i do?

Poll Information
This poll contains 4 question(s). 6 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote Now     View Poll Results

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement