Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Polls Only   » Prices for key foods are rising

Author Topic: Prices for key foods are rising
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yea, I have this notion..... I purchased a 25lb bag of rice, and a huge bag of pintos the other day. You never know. Walnuts, pecans, peanuts and almonds, these are probably good to have on hand.
Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As per presbygirl
quote:
I haven't checked out the rice situation, but I think it is important for Christians, when things like this arise, to take into account, not only the wisdom of being good financial stewards by stocking up (a fine thing to do), but also the stewardship of the earth and the impact stocking up may have on people who grow rice (or whatever). It's kind of like strawberries. I love strawberries, and I used to be so grateful that we can get them year round for a relatively cheap price. Then I discovered that growers in places like Rawanda are using their precious farmland to grow strawberries so I can have them in the winter, when the greatest need is for them to be growing staples so they can survive. There's always a lot more to think about than may be visible on the surface.

My take on this is that they get 'money' for their berries, which goes to purchase the things they cannot 'grow'. So it is a good thing.
Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 15 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"A measure of wheat for a penny" (Revelation 6:6).

The Apostle John describes a famine in Revelation 6, where all of one's daily labour goes to acquire the bread to survive for that one individual for only that day. "And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts say, A measure [Greek, choinix] of wheat for a penny, and three measures of barley for a penny; and see thou hurt not the oil and the wine" (Revelation 6:6). In "An Exposition of the Old and New Testament" (1809), John Gill (1697-1771) explains verse 6, thus:

"Choenix," the measure here used, signifies as much as was sufficient for a man for one day, as a penny was the usual hire of a labourer for a day. "And when he had agreed with the labourers for a penny a day, he sent them into his vineyard" (Matthew 20:2). So a choenix of corn was allowed to each man in Xerxes's army for a day, according to Herodotus; the same quantity for a day was given by the Romans to their shepherds and servants, and is generally said to be about two pounds; according to Agricola it was two pounds and a quarter. This measure was very different; the Attic choenix was a measure that held three pounds, the Italic choenix four pounds, and the military choenix five pounds, and answers to the Hebrew Kab; and in the Septuagint version of Ezekiel 45:10-11 ["10 Ye shall have just balances, and a just ephah, and a just bath. 11 The ephah and the bath shall be of one measure, that the bath may contain the tenth part of an homer, and the ephah the tenth part of an homer: the measure thereof shall be after the homer"], it answers to the Bath; and some make it to be the fourth part of a bushel, and others half a bushel; the first account of its being about two pounds, and the allowance of a man for a day [WStS emphasis], seems best to agree with this place: so that this phrase expresses such a scarcity, as that a man's daily wages would be but just enough to buy himself bread, without any thing to eat with it; and when he would have nothing left for clothes, and other things, nor anything for his wife and children.

Again, a famine situation exists whenever one's daily labour buys only enough food for the survival of just that individual for just that day. The implication is that all non-wage earners such as spouses, children, and the elderly, would not be able to survive in such an Apocalyptic Famine. Using the framework of Revelation 6:6, it would be possible to arrive at some kind of idea what an Apocalyptic Famine would be like. Let us assume:

Whenever the minimum wage ($ per hour) times 8 (hours in a work day) equals the cost of wheat ($ per pound) times 1.75 (pounds of wheat equivalent to "a measure of wheat" of bread), then you have the famine situation described in Revelation 6:6.

When 8x = 1.75y, then a famine exists.
Where x = minimum wage ($ per hour)
y = cost of wheat ($ per pound)

Also, If 1 measure = 1 quart (Halley's Bible Handbook, Davis Dictionary of the Bible)
If 1 gallon of wheat = 7 pounds (approximate weight of 4 quarts of wheat)
If 1 pound of wheat = 1 loaf of bread (where 3 cups of grain produces 4 cups of flour; and 3 cups of flour yield 1 loaf of bread)
Then, 1 measure of wheat = 1.75 loaves of bread ("about two pounds, and the allowance of a man for a day" -- J. Gill)

Example: If x = $5.15 (minimum wage [2004])
y = $.25 ($ per pound, wheat [2004])

8x = 1.75y
8 ($5.15) = 1.75 ($.25)
$41.20 does not equal $.4375

Therefore, a famine does not exist by this definition, using 2004 minimum wage and 2004 cost of wheat per pound.

However, whenever the scarcity of wheat drives the price high enough, and/ or wages sink low enough, then a famine exists.

"Thank God for a Pre-Tribulational Rapture!"

And, "Thank You, LORD, for the promise to 'supply all [our] need according to [Your] Riches in Glory by Christ Jesus' (Philippians 4:19) in the meantime!"

Maranatha!

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeremiah333
Advanced Member
Member # 7372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeremiah333   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremiah333:
quote:
Originally posted by Betty Lou:
On several Christian boards that I am a member of people feel led to stock up.

betty

I see that a lot on some other boards than I am a member of too.

I feel kind of guilty that I am not stocking up at least something.

I am growing a garden next year with some vegetables, to help out on our food bill.

I wanted to update this! [Smile]

My husband caught my enthusiasm for a garden, and has done remarkable things with it. Things I would not have known otherwise.

We have beans, cantaloupe, tomatoes, bell peppers, jalepeno peppers, & strawberries. They are all starting to get veggies on them, except the strawberries. The strawberries are growning, and healthy, so I hope they will have berries soon.

These are all food that my family loves. I can't wait to add them to our meals.

--------------------
JoAnne's Prayer Closet

Posts: 44 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeremiah333
Advanced Member
Member # 7372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeremiah333   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Betty Lou:
On several Christian boards that I am a member of people feel led to stock up.

betty

I see that a lot on some other boards than I am a member of too.

I feel kind of guilty that I am not stocking up at least something.

I am growing a garden next year with some vegetables, to help out on our food bill.

--------------------
JoAnne's Prayer Closet

Posts: 44 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo Grequi
Advanced Member
Member # 3984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eduardo Grequi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
rice can be used many, many, many ways and believe it or not it is a substitute for those who are allergic to wheat. For myself I use it in meatloaf, a milk expander, for breakfeast, hot cereal, cold cereal, making cookies, christmas ornaments etc... And of course can not forget weddings. LOL

And remember for now rice cheap, however 3 billion people use rice on a daily basis that included developed countries as well

China 1.7 billion peopl
India 1.1 billion peopl
USA 50 million peopl
Latin Am190 million peopl
Europe 35 million peopl
Africa 80 million peopl

you figure the math. Rice is essential as Milk and Fish, Beef and Wheat Flour

Posts: 771 | From: Belvidere, IL | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blindfaith101
Community Member
Member # 6836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blindfaith101   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.
MATTHEW 4:4
These words were spoken by Jesus Christ to satan right before He began His Ministry. Which seem to be the problem with all of mankind. We live to please ourselves whether than pleasing God. If just we Christian live these words, instead of debating them, the world would be abetter place. What do I mean? Many of us "so called Christians", seek to please the world, more than we live by the teachings of Jesus Christ. Christ gave us words and teachings that we should be living by. Many of us are not. If we follow and obey "All" that Jesus Christ said. The world would not be in the shape that it is. The world is heading for all that Jesus spoke. We are running out of time.Very soon chapters MATTHEW Chapters, 23,24,25 will come to an end. When Christ returns how many of us will He find doing and living by His Instructions. If we live by what he said, we would not worry about how expensive life has gottan.
16 Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Jesus had appointed them. 17 And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted. 18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. 19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen. MATTHEW 28:16-20

Posts: 10 | From: Brooklyn New York | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scythewieldor
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem is debt.
When people borrow money at interest, the one who lends is taking money from the economy without adding anything of value to it. The one who borrows has to raise prices in order to pay for the product he gained as well as to pay the interest.
Say your a butcher. If you have to borrow money in order to buy a cow, when you sell meat, you have to raise the price to cover the guy who lent money but did no work.
So, now you know how the borrower is the servant of the lender as Proverbs says.
And, now you know why they call land "real estate". The people who have the land have a place where they can get food as generously as God supplies it. The people who have an education, a job, and a rented house in the city will be subject to extortion by those who have the land.
--If the Christians would become like the Christians in the first four chapters of Acts, selling what they have and letting the elders distribute resources according to needs and,
--If they would behave as a holy nation instead of splitting up and yoking together with unbelievers, and,
--If they would return to the meek and lowly example of our Lord, being content with food and raiment, and,
--If the Christians would learn to maintain good works for necessary uses, working with their hands as the apostles taught, then,
--We might see the same power and grace upon us as was seen by those first Christians.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blindfaith101
Community Member
Member # 6836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blindfaith101   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3 And when he had opened the second seal, I heard the second beast say, Come and see. 4 And there went out another horse that was red: and power was given to him that sat thereon to take peace from the earth, and that they should kill one another: and there was given unto him a great sword. 5 And when he had opened the third seal, I heard the third beast say, Come and see. And I beheld, and lo a black horse; and he that sat on him had a pair of balances in his hand. 6 And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts say, A measure of wheat for a penny, and three measures of barley for a penny; and see thou hurt not the oil and the wine. 7 And when he had opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth beast say, Come and see. 8 And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth. REVELATION 6:3-8
Less than 10 years ago a loaf of bread was less than $1.00. A Gallon of milk was $1.50 Chicken was $.49lb. 1/2 Gallon of orange juice was $1.99.
The Lord God has not allowed this country to be hit yet with a shortage of food. But because of this Country to accept the Salvation of Jesus Christ and Repent from our sins........... IT'S COMING.

Posts: 10 | From: Brooklyn New York | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PresbyGirl
Community Member
Member # 6818

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PresbyGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't checked out the rice situation, but I think it is important for Christians, when things like this arise, to take into account, not only the wisdom of being good financial stewards by stocking up (a fine thing to do), but also the stewardship of the earth and the impact stocking up may have on people who grow rice (or whatever). It's kind of like strawberries. I love strawberries, and I used to be so grateful that we can get them year round for a relatively cheap price. Then I discovered that growers in places like Rawanda are using their precious farmland to grow strawberries so I can have them in the winter, when the greatest need is for them to be growing staples so they can survive. There's always a lot more to think about than may be visible on the surface.

--------------------
If you judge people, you have no time to love them. -- Mother Teresa

Posts: 14 | From: Michigan | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Lou
Advanced Member
Member # 6713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sevenlamps,
we do the same thing. We bought 50 pounds of potatoes for 3 dollars and offered some to neighbors.
When we first moved to Washington State, we were shocked to see how high food is. We soon saw from watching people shop that they stock up on meat when it is on sale and now we do that to. We buy 20 pounds of hamburger when it is on sale.

We keep about a week supply of food that can be eaten without cooking but we stock up on sales. I am like you I think God rewards us for being wise about our money. I know it is different, but I bought me two purses today at wal-mart, one for 5 dollars and one for 7. It is smart to take advantage of sales.
betty

Posts: 35 | From: Washington State | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sevenlamps
Advanced Member
Member # 6715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sevenlamps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it is wise to take advantage of bargains, and if that is called stocking up then so be it. I will buy 20 cans of tuna when they are on sale. On food items I use regularly, I will buy double or triple when they are on sale 50% or more. If I cannot consume them in a reasonable amount of time they can always be donated to a mission ,charity, or needy family. When you operate in this manner you are being a good steward, and God knows your heart(spirit). He blesses you with wisdom and supplies, and you keep yourself ready to be used by Him. Right now I have about 40 pounds of peanuts in my refrigerator because a grocery store sold them at 19 cents per pound. I gave away about 20 pounds already and am enjoying peanuts almost daily. Mmmm. God will teach you through this activity because He knows you will be faithful. Besides, it's fun working with God.

--------------------
Don't grieve the Holy Spirit

Posts: 63 | From: usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Lou
Advanced Member
Member # 6713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we keep jars of peanut butter, cans of veinna sausages and tuna fish, crackers and jam to eat
Posts: 35 | From: Washington State | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
corriee
Advanced Member
Member # 6705

Icon 1 posted      Profile for corriee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
shorty, what else can one do with rice besides cook it? I really would like to know.. you have sparked my couriousity.
In Christ

Posts: 53 | From: Close to the heart of Texas | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Lou
Advanced Member
Member # 6713

On several Christian boards that I am a member of people feel led to stock up. I have not been so led. We do keep a week supply of water and food because of the chance of an earthquake in Washington State. We just moved in July to live with my son in the country. In the winter time it is not unusual for him to go for several days to a week with out power, so we need to invest in more water and food, but I still do not feel led to invest in months of food and water. I don't know if it is naive on my part, or if it is because I feel Jesus is coming back soon. My son did buy about 20 pounds of rice because it was cheaper that way.
betty

shorty5
Member # 6726

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shorty5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
its sad the way the world is becoming. on the topic of food, rice is a good shelf life item. ive always got it on hand. lots of things u can do with it too, not just cooking. waste not want not, shorty.

--------------------
shorty

Posts: 6 | From: victoria | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
corriee
Advanced Member
Member # 6705

Icon 1 posted      Profile for corriee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prices for key foods are rising sharply
By Kevin G. Hall | McClatchy Newspapers
Posted on Tue, August 14, 2007

Link
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/227/story/18902.html

I posted this because yesterday or today, I saw
where the people in Japan and China say rice is
getting scarce. It is a good thing to buy it has a very long shelf life. Almost forever if not wet. I have no idea if we should store food or not but I am buying some rice because I have 4 grandchildren. At least I think I am as of now. I may change my mind.

Posts: 53 | From: Close to the heart of Texas | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement