Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Polls Only   » True or False and scripturely define your position

Author Topic: True or False and scripturely define your position
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True or False-

Having a proper knowledge of God's word, and making proper application of it will set you free from manmade doctrines and manmade religious traditions?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My answer is true, as the statement indicates both scriptural awareness and making proper application of the awareness, which will result in being set free the man-made.

2 Tim. 3:
15: And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
16: All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo Grequi
Advanced Member
Member # 3984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eduardo Grequi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True or False-

Having a proper knowledge of God's word, and making proper application of it will set you free from manmade doctrines and manmade religious traditions?

This particular question, I answer true- because when we do things proper. ANd according to what I remember about the English language it means correctly and without error. Manmade doctrines are doctrines that have no scriptural authority. If soundness of mind and spirituality is dependent on the application of the word of God- we must define our walk in the context of the scripture.

Sometimes traditions of men will get in the way of trully liberating oneself unto God. There is a place for doctrines of men, but we should not make them mandatory in conjuction with the Holy Bible. Even Jesus showed anger, when He saw the House of God being made a merchantile and not a pure and honest place for people to worship God.

We must strive to be like the Bereans where as the Bible said- they would not render their ears and lifestyles to every windward doctrine thrown at them. We must apply Gods word- We must walk in Jesus footprints. We must boldly approach the throne of God thru prayer and supplication and guide and take care of our neighbors too.

If we apply the statues of the Bible apart from obeying the gospel- we become an empty vessel doing things out of repition. Freedom is begat when we put on the whole armour of GOD on.

Ephesian 6 in an excellent chapter to define puting on the word of God as puting on soldier's armour.

"Love the Lord with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment." Matthew 22:37-38

Posts: 771 | From: Belvidere, IL | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aaron
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eduardo Grequi:
True or False-

Could the statement be re-written thus: "Having proper knowledge of Jesus Christ, and making proper application of Him will set you free of man made doctrines and man made religious traditions." ?

2 Corinthians 3: 7-18 "7 But if the ministry of death, written and engraved on stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of the glory of his countenance, which glory was passing away, 8 how will the ministry of the Spirit not be more glorious? 9 For if the ministry of condemnation had glory, the ministry of righteousness exceeds much more in glory. 10 For even what was made glorious had no glory in this respect, because of the glory that excels. 11 For if what is passing away was glorious, what remains is much more glorious.
12 Therefore, since we have such hope, we use great boldness of speech-- 13 unlike Moses, who put a veil over his face so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the end of what was passing away. 14 But their minds were blinded. For until this day the same veil remains unlifted in the reading of the Old Testament, because the veil is taken away in Christ. 15 But even to this day, when Moses is read, a veil lies on their heart. 16 Nevertheless when one turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. 17 Now the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. 18 But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord."

My answer: I'm not sure. There is something true about the statement but there is something about "religiosity" as well. Too may times to count have I seen men and women "apply God's words" in a way of their choosing...so that the outcome benefits them. Furthermore, I have a difficult time with the notion of "applying Christ"; as if His usefulness abides upon the whims of men.

Most of the time, when I have seen the Spirit work in the lives of men, He makes a wreck of their "religion" and He casts down their personal high places...to the loss of the man and mostly with great pain. I have yet to know of a man or woman who, with foreknowledge of the trials he/she must endure to be set free of the thing that hinder them, volunteer for the pain they must endure in the trial. Instead, they pray "Your will be done. Refine me." and the Lord is quite willing and able to wreck the person's religious life as he preserves the saint in the midst of the trial.

The only thing that resembles the "application of the Lord" that I've witnessed in the lives of the saints in trials is their confession "Yes, Lord." This is the confession that echos in Job's statement, "Though He slay me, yet will I trust in Him."

Oh, what a dangerous thing it is to begin to heed the Lord. Your life will surely be brought to an end. [Cross]

Aaron

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When one follows God's Word then the shackles of bondage to church tradition can be broken. In many cases the shackles of Roman Catholicism have been broken when people read the Word for themselves, and learn that grace comes directly from the throne of God to those who have received Christ Jesus through faith alone.

As long as the adherent is dependent upon their church for the dispensing of grace, until they seek a personal relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ, they will continue to be shackled and in bondage, from infancy to the grave.

Galations 5:
1: Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ahar
Advanced Member
Member # 5810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ahar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure which way to go on this one yet, though I'm leaning towards the YES option. A full understanding of ALL scripture is nigh on impossible due to the falibility of being a human - I don't think anyone can claim to have a perfect understanding of the whole of divinity.

However, a perfect understanding of all scripture is not required to be able to reject those doctrines and traditions that are unsound or get in the way of our relationship with God.

I don't think that all man made traditions get in the way though - some are just a particular way of doing things within a church (like handing round a collection plate during the thrid Hymn).

--------------------
Cheers

Andy

Posts: 290 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eduardo,

I voted "True"

The reason is "making proper application of the Scriptures will set you free from man made doctrines and man made religious traditions" ...

implies I love the Truth at all cost to me personally.

if I make the proper application of Yeshua's teaching's I can not go wrong, the Cross / the Gospel will always bring me to death to self, which is the only way to eternal life.

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I answered true and scripturally here is my reason for that answer...

Ro 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

When our minds are renewed with the Word, the Bible says that we are then able to prove... that is to demonstrate the perfect will of God.

The word was made flesh... Jesus. The word is not words on a page.. the word is alive and it is the power to transform us... faith itself comes by hearing and hearing by the word. Every Time Jesus answered the enemy he answered with IT IS WRITTEN.

2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

God's word lives and it does not return unto HIm void!

God's word IS TRUTH and it is a lamp unto our feet.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itty-Bitty Girl
Advanced Member
Member # 4579

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Itty-Bitty Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I said: false

Just because someone knows the truth, does not mean that it will set them free, if they so chose to be in bondage.

The Heresy: 2 TIMOTHY 4: 2-4 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

Posts: 1051 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo Grequi
Advanced Member
Member # 3984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eduardo Grequi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True or False-

I would appreciate your stand and biblical defense of your answer!

Thanks in advance
Eduardo!

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 11 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote Now     View Poll Results

Posts: 771 | From: Belvidere, IL | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement