Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Polls Only   » Do You Ever Study Other Religions?

Author Topic: Do You Ever Study Other Religions?
giel
Member # 5846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for giel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
arent we all humans?
Posts: 5 | From: belgica | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is import to be familiar with the religions of the world! You be surprise how many will come in Jesus names!

--------------------
Romans 9:11-24

Our Eschatology may vary even our Ecclesiology may be disputed among us but our Soteriology most assume a singularity and exclusivity which in biblical term is known as Quote; "The Narrow Way" and Quote!

Posts: 2792 | From: Stockton,Ca | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disquisitive
Community Member
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Disquisitive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron:
quote:
Originally posted by Disquisitive:
"Next time you see your Imam (or dad) ask him if you could be a son of God, like Jesus."

According to your profile you are 16. Is this not correct?

Aaron

Ahhh.... I see now.... yeah, I was in a hurry when I registered so I just randomly selected a birth date. Sorry about that - I'm actually 24.
Posts: 19 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aaron
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ahar:
quote:
I have studied a good part of the Qu'ran and the Hadith(s) as well as muslim history.

I was prompted by the lie "We are all brothers" and studied to find why that was not true. But more for Christians caught in the lie than for muslim conversions.

Aaron

I always thought that it stemmed from the idea of Jews, Christians and Muslims being 'children of Abraham' therefore all being 'brothers'.
Possible. But that would still be inaccurate as we, Christians, are not children of Abraham but children of God.

Aaron

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ahar
Advanced Member
Member # 5810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ahar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I have studied a good part of the Qu'ran and the Hadith(s) as well as muslim history.

I was prompted by the lie "We are all brothers" and studied to find why that was not true. But more for Christians caught in the lie than for muslim conversions.

Aaron

I always thought that it stemmed from the idea of Jews, Christians and Muslims being 'children of Abraham' therefore all being 'brothers'.

--------------------
Cheers

Andy

Posts: 290 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aaron
unregistered

quote:
"Next time you see your Imam (or dad) ask him if you could be a son of God, like Jesus."

According to your profile you are 16. Is this not correct?

Aaron

ChristineES
Community Member
Member # 5681

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChristineES     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like studying things. I have always been interested in other religions. Christianity and Judaism appealed to me most even before I was saved, so I guess it was to be.
But I think it may be easier to convert an atheist than to convert someone of another religion.

--------------------
In the beginning was The Word, and The Word was with God and The Word was God

Posts: 7 | From: El Cajon, CA USA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jesus is not God's creation. Jesus is not a created being. Jesus is begotten of GOd by the power of the HOLY Spirit. Jesus is GOD manifest in the flesh. The fullness of the GOdhead dwelled within HIM bodily.
Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disquisitive
Community Member
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Disquisitive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
What you wrote *was* innacurate. You may have read the Quran but that is nothing without a cultural knowledge of Muslims that can not be provided through simple study.

You said, "[Muslims] believe that anyone who says "I am a son of God" is a liar."

Hmm. I wonder if you are, in fact, a muslim. Muslims often use this same argument (you don't know the culture) to shield themselves from reasonable criticism. Also, it is interesting that you use an anecdotal account to prove your point. No matter.

Son of God as in "One who is the same as the Father in every way." "Child of God" doesn't cut it. Heathens say similar things but they simply mean "created by something higher than myself". That, and it gives them a warm-fuzzy feeling.

Even so, Muhammed's book is clear:
[19:88] And they say: The Beneficent God has taken to Himself a son.
[19.89] Certainly you have made an abominable assertion
[19.90] The heavens may almost be rent thereat, and the earth cleave asunder, and the mountains fall down in pieces,
[19.91] That they ascribe a son to the Beneficent God.
[19.92] And it is not worthy of the Beneficent God that He should take to Himself a son.

Next time you see your Imam (or dad) ask him if you could be a son of God, like Jesus. [Wink]

However, if you are postulating that Allah has sons could you name one for me or provide references of one in the Koran or Hadith?

Aaron

No, I'm not a Muslim, but I'm not a geocentric either. I have however, spoken to many Muslims on many occasians.

Culture and language are very important if you want to understand the Muslim religion. The same is true for Christianity - when I was trying to explain Christianity to a Muslim he expessed to me that he was confused at how God could have a son if he did not have a wife. I tried to tell him that Jesus wasn't God's son in a sense that he was born from God's wife - he was simply his creation and one of his favorites as well. This is not so hard for Muslims to comprehend - the problem is lack of understanding on both sides.

Also I am a little confused about this comment of yours - "Next time you see your Imam (or dad) ask him if you could be a son of God, like Jesus."

Posts: 19 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aaron
unregistered

quote:
What you wrote *was* innacurate. You may have read the Quran but that is nothing without a cultural knowledge of Muslims that can not be provided through simple study.

You said, "[Muslims] believe that anyone who says "I am a son of God" is a liar."

Hmm. I wonder if you are, in fact, a muslim. Muslims often use this same argument (you don't know the culture) to shield themselves from reasonable criticism. Also, it is interesting that you use an anecdotal account to prove your point. No matter.

Son of God as in "One who is the same as the Father in every way." "Child of God" doesn't cut it. Heathens say similar things but they simply mean "created by something higher than myself". That, and it gives them a warm-fuzzy feeling.

Even so, Muhammed's book is clear:
[19:88] And they say: The Beneficent God has taken to Himself a son.
[19.89] Certainly you have made an abominable assertion
[19.90] The heavens may almost be rent thereat, and the earth cleave asunder, and the mountains fall down in pieces,
[19.91] That they ascribe a son to the Beneficent God.
[19.92] And it is not worthy of the Beneficent God that He should take to Himself a son.

Next time you see your Imam (or dad) ask him if you could be a son of God, like Jesus. [Wink]

However, if you are postulating that Allah has sons could you name one for me or provide references of one in the Koran or Hadith?

Aaron

Disquisitive
Community Member
Member # 5829

I cannot stress how innacurate this is. I know someone who is a muslim and she has refered to herself as a child of Him several many times. However, when they say this they mean "child" in a somewhat abstract sense - they are his children because he created them. The meaning of 6:101 in the Quran is that God or Allah does not have "Children" in the most literal sense. He did not impregnate some one to create me or you - Jesus was the only exeption supposedly, which is why Muslims don't accept him as a Savior.

Aaron
unregistered

quote:
quote:
Sure there are similarities. Why not? Look at this post for example: it contains the words you wrote yet here they are in MY post. Amazing?! No, I just copied what you wrote and put it in here. [Big Grin]

Muhammed wrote the Qu'ran about 600 years after Christ's death and resurrection. He, surrounded by people familiar with Christian and Jewish writings, had access to the scriptures and incorporated the "useful" bits of teaching in his writings. For me there is no guess as to why his book and the Christian scriptures are so similar.

The greatest difference between the Qu'ran and the scriptures, in my estimation, is that muslims do not think the true God has children. They do not call Allah "Father" and believe that anyone who says "I am a son of God" is a liar. Since this is the framework upon which God creates man, to have sons, anyone denying this foundational tenant is simply wrong.

If the above is true then upon what idea do they base our "brotherhood" and why are they (muslims) so eager to call us (Christians) "brothers"? Brothers have the same father yet they maintain that God has no children. So why the call for "brotherhood"? If you say "we are all men and our brotherhood is based upon that commonality" I will show you why it is egregious for a Christian to think in such ways. Even so, why not use the term "friend" or "companion"? Why choose a term that denotes a familial bond?

I'll tell you why: speaking of such bonds pulls at the strings of the inner man, wherein the man seeks to be approved of something greater than himself. The Holy Spirit has done His work: He has convicted the world of righteousness. And men know that their own righteousness is not enough. So they look for something greater than themselves. Either they will know the Lord (and be known by Him) and be approved by Him or they will seek approval from elsewhere. And this "elsewhere" is much more "approving" if a there is a multitude instead of a few.

This was the first lie, "You shall be like gods", and it continues to enslave men to this day. The Liar has continued his deception and has hitched his ministry to the "brotherhood of man" garbage.

Aaron

I can tell from what I've just read that you are only vaguely aware of Muslim doctrine, though you may have read their canon.

According to the Quran,

(6:101 The Originator of the heavens and the earth! How can He have a child, when there is for Him no consort, when He created all things and is Aware of all things ?)

Allah would have no need to have a son in the aspect that Christians consider Christ to be God's son - they do not beleive that Allah as they call God, would ever have a physical son. However,

(39:4 If Allah had willed to choose a son, He could have chosen what He would of that which He hath created. Be He Glorified! He is Allah, the One, the Absolute.)

They *do* beleive that he could chose a son among men that he had created - which in a way could be called his children.

Basicly, it is very hard to describe these things since the Quran wasn't written in English - culturally and linguisticly, English is very different than Arabic. How can we even try to communicate such ideas as "Brotherhood" and "Kinship" without first understanding their culture and language, of which I suspect you have not done. From what I gather, you have a semantical problem, and nothing more.

No. What I wrote was simple but not inaccurate. You should have asked a clarifying question before you assumed my knowledge of Islam was limited.

Aaron

Disquisitive
Community Member
Member # 5829

quote:
Sure there are similarities. Why not? Look at this post for example: it contains the words you wrote yet here they are in MY post. Amazing?! No, I just copied what you wrote and put it in here. [Big Grin]

Muhammed wrote the Qu'ran about 600 years after Christ's death and resurrection. He, surrounded by people familiar with Christian and Jewish writings, had access to the scriptures and incorporated the "useful" bits of teaching in his writings. For me there is no guess as to why his book and the Christian scriptures are so similar.

The greatest difference between the Qu'ran and the scriptures, in my estimation, is that muslims do not think the true God has children. They do not call Allah "Father" and believe that anyone who says "I am a son of God" is a liar. Since this is the framework upon which God creates man, to have sons, anyone denying this foundational tenant is simply wrong.

If the above is true then upon what idea do they base our "brotherhood" and why are they (muslims) so eager to call us (Christians) "brothers"? Brothers have the same father yet they maintain that God has no children. So why the call for "brotherhood"? If you say "we are all men and our brotherhood is based upon that commonality" I will show you why it is egregious for a Christian to think in such ways. Even so, why not use the term "friend" or "companion"? Why choose a term that denotes a familial bond?

I'll tell you why: speaking of such bonds pulls at the strings of the inner man, wherein the man seeks to be approved of something greater than himself. The Holy Spirit has done His work: He has convicted the world of righteousness. And men know that their own righteousness is not enough. So they look for something greater than themselves. Either they will know the Lord (and be known by Him) and be approved by Him or they will seek approval from elsewhere. And this "elsewhere" is much more "approving" if a there is a multitude instead of a few.

This was the first lie, "You shall be like gods", and it continues to enslave men to this day. The Liar has continued his deception and has hitched his ministry to the "brotherhood of man" garbage.

Aaron

I can tell from what I've just read that you are only vaguely aware of Muslim doctrine, though you may have read their canon.

According to the Quran,

(6:101 The Originator of the heavens and the earth! How can He have a child, when there is for Him no consort, when He created all things and is Aware of all things ?)

Allah would have no need to have a son in the aspect that Christians consider Christ to be God's son - they do not beleive that Allah as they call God, would ever have a physical son. However,

(39:4 If Allah had willed to choose a son, He could have chosen what He would of that which He hath created. Be He Glorified! He is Allah, the One, the Absolute.)

They *do* beleive that he could chose a son among men that he had created - which in a way could be called his children.

Basicly, it is very hard to describe these things since the Quran wasn't written in English - culturally and linguisticly, English is very different than Arabic. How can we even try to communicate such ideas as "Brotherhood" and "Kinship" without first understanding their culture and language, of which I suspect you have not done. From what I gather, you have a semantical problem, and nothing more.

Aaron
unregistered

quote:
quote:

Do you mean to say that you don't see similarities between Islam and Christianity? Because I certainly do.

Aaron

Disquisitive
Community Member
Member # 5829

quote:

Do you mean to say that you don't see similarities between Islam and Christianity? Because I certainly do.
Aaron
unregistered

Aaron

Disquisitive
Community Member
Member # 5829

Do you ever study other religions? If so, what is your reason?

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 19 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote Now     View Poll Results

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement