Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Polls Only   » Christmas Dinner

Author Topic: Christmas Dinner
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A must for Christmas dinner is turkey, stuffing and cranberries.

I make a mean stuffing out bread, summer savory, onions, a bit of potatoes and butter. Sometimes I add celery if I have it on hand.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bat Elohim
Advanced Member
Member # 3739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bat Elohim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We normally have roast lamb for Christmas dinner along with the traditional English side dishes such as Yorkshire Puddings and roast potatoes, yum!!

My puddings haven't turned out too good so far, but I've been practicing, so maybe I'll hit upon the right combination of ingredients soon.

We also have either a turkey or ham for the children, because lamb costs so much. In England, we would just go to the butcher and get a leg of lamb, cause it was actually cheaper than a turkey. But there were a lot of sheep farmers in that area, and that was 25 years ago, when I was very little.

We did have tamales last year, but it was because a lady at my mom's work was selling them to raise money for Christmas presents and my mom bought them to help her out.

Merry Christmas Texas Grandma!

--------------------
Numbers 6:24 May ADONAI bless you and keep you. 25 May ADONAI make his face shine on you and show you his favor. 26 May ADONAI lift up his face toward you and give you peace.

Posts: 704 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hardcore
Advanced Member
Member # 4492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardcore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TEXASGRANDMA:
ignores Miss Scrooge,
-------------------

Hardcore,
My sister's husband is hispanic. He does not make tameles but he orders tameles for Christmas. We are having the usual turkey and dressing Christmas Day and my mom and sister's family party the Monday after Christmas were will have tameles.
I read that the NorthWest Chistmas dinner of choice is salmon and as much as I like salmon, not for me.
take care,
betty

Must be a hispanic cultural tradition then. I had never ordered them in a restaurant, because I just didn't think I'd like them, but I was wrong. The ones dad sent were delicious - from a place called Garcias in Albuquerque. I just steamed then in my double steamer and thawed the green chiles. Of course, what he sent were probably far better than anything I could get here. When I'm out west, I eat "real" Mexican 24/7. [Smile]

I love salmon too. Guess it makes sense for the upper Northwest to have that. Here in the good ole Midwest, the norm would be turkey, ham or both; although I know some who have prime rib.

Posts: 627 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ignores Miss Scrooge,
-------------------

Hardcore,
My sister's husband is hispanic. He does not make tameles but he orders tameles for Christmas. We are having the usual turkey and dressing Christmas Day and my mom and sister's family party the Monday after Christmas were will have tameles.
I read that the NorthWest Chistmas dinner of choice is salmon and as much as I like salmon, not for me.
take care,
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bet Baked Santa would look a lot like Tamales! [pound] [pound] [pound]
Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hardcore
Advanced Member
Member # 4492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardcore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TG,

It's interesting that you have tamales as an option for Christmas dinner. We actually had those last year and it seemed so odd, but it was soooo delicious.

My dad lives in New Mexico, and unbeknownst to me, he had one of their favorite restaurants ship us their traditional tamales and green chile sauce in a cold-pack box.

I've spent a great deal of time in the west and the southwest, but I never knew that tamales was a Christmas meal tradition. I'm still not sure if it's a cultural thing, or a regional thing, or what.

Posts: 627 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that is so true. My dad's mother wanted my cousin to live in sin and pregant rather than marry a 2nd time.
Because she was so apposed to 2nd marriage.
People become so legalistic that the lose the truth.
I even had someone say if it is not in the Bible we can't do it. But I don't recall reading that brushing your teeth was in the Bible and we brush our teeth. In Bible days only boys went to school. I don't see anyone saying it is a sin to send your girls to school. Slavery was in the Bible. Do you promot slavery?
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chaoschristian
Advanced Member
Member # 5273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chaoschristian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Betty:

It would be dishonest to delete it.

If I could do that, if we could do that, wouldn't it undermine the integrity of this board?

Regardless, God is bigger than my little quip, and my sarcasm wasn't directed at Him, but rather at those who feel free to use the Bible to beat others over the head into submission.

Seriously, this can't be taken seriosly. And that's a serious problem with Christians today, taking themselves and their self-appointed righteousness too seriosly.

So, Betty, if I have offended you, then I sincerely apologize.

--------------------
Why are you reading my bio when you should be paying attention to the post?

Posts: 109 | From: Snack Food Capital of the World (Hanover, PA for those of you who don't know) | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

honey,
i think you should delete that. It is sad thing to make fun of God.
betty

--------------------

chaoschristian
Advanced Member
Member # 5273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chaoschristian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, being the heathen, un-Godly Christmas celebrating Christian that I am, the table this year will be set with:

Roast Rack of Lamb of God spitted with the spear of Longinus and cooked over an open flame.

Baked Bible with a side of steamed Apocrypha.

Mashed Inerrancies smothered in Infallibility Sauce.

Judas chitlins stuffed with those little gold candy coins.

Candied Apples picked right off the Tree of Knowledge.

And for dessert . . .

Flambe'd Head of John the Baptist, thoroughly immersed in vinegar wine!

[Wink]

--------------------
Why are you reading my bio when you should be paying attention to the post?

Posts: 109 | From: Snack Food Capital of the World (Hanover, PA for those of you who don't know) | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wparr
Advanced Member
Member # 891

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wparr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YES I DO know where the door is

TO close

Posts: 1203 | From: Eagle Nest, NM | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

you know where the door is. Bye bye

--------------------

wparr
Advanced Member
Member # 891

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wparr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
santa IS fantasy

elves ARE fantasy

Yashua IS ABOUT TRUTH
He DOES NOT use lies or fantasy

DON'T YOU GET IT YET?

Here is a verse for you to "think" upon

(Mark 6:52) for they had not gained any insight from the incident of the loaves, but their heart was hardened.

Explains ALOT

Posts: 1203 | From: Eagle Nest, NM | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wparr
Advanced Member
Member # 891

I consider the reverse - pagan traditions CLAIMING to honor Jesus SICK'O
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

sick'o [Mad]

--------------------

wparr
Advanced Member
Member # 891

Grilled Reindeer

Shishkabob elves

Baked santa

Cooked over a live christmas tree fire

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

What are you having for dinner Christmas Day

Poll Information
This poll contains 4 question(s). 10 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote Now     View Poll Results

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement