Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Polls Only   » Isn't one sin the same as another in God's eyes?

Author Topic: Isn't one sin the same as another in God's eyes?
BrianGrass1234
Advanced Member
Member # 5845

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrianGrass1234     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All sin has an equal penalty. However, it does say in various places that some sins are singled out as worse in the eyes of God and it makes perfect sense that God would see some sins as worse than others just like we do. But they all still carry the same price.

Also I would say that gossip is often addictive.

Posts: 203 | From: Weed, CA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 15 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Proverbs 6:16... These six [things] doth the LORD hate: yea, seven [are] an abomination unto him:

First a proud look, The "haughty," or lofty eyes indicate swelling pride which fills the heart. Pride is the foundation of all disobedience and rebellion against God's laws.
Pride is the very opposite of humility; yet, humility is the very spirit of Yeshua. It was His humility that brought Him to this
lowly earth, to live and to die for us. So stated Paul in Philippians 2:5-8. All pride is intended, planned and God has always resisted the
proud. James states, "God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace to the humble" (James 4:6).

Second a lying tongue, Lying has always been
despised by God. He is truth, His word is truth. Lying is the wilful perversion of truth. It is the stating of some untruth for personal gain. Lying is an effort to deceive. And deceitfulness is a sin. The one who lies stands opposite to Jehovah and all He represents. He who lies says there is nothing sacred in TRUTH at all. The apostle John gives us God's feelings about a liar. "But for the fearful, and unbelieving, and abominable, and murderers, and fornicators, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, their part shall be in the lake that burneth with fire and brimstone; which is the second death" (Revelation 21:8). Did you notice the company that liars keep? Murderers, fornicators, idolaters, and ALL LIARS. Then in Revelation 22:15, "Without are the dogs, and the sorcerers, and the fornicators, and the murderers, and the idolaters, and every one that loveth and maketh a lie." My friends, we need to be careful about the choice of our words. Be sure that we always speak truth. Jesus said the "truth shall make us free" (John 8:32). Conversely, lying will enslave us to sin. Jehovah hates a lying tongue.

Thirdly Hands that shed innocent blood,"hands that shed innocent blood." God
placed a curse on the first murderer. He who murders takes the very
thing that God gives -- LIFE -- something man cannot give. Jesus
states, "Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your
father it is your will to do. He was a murderer from the beginning,
and standeth not in the truth, because there is no truth in him"
(John 8:44). The tyrant is a usurper of God's authority. a murderer
sets at naught the justice of heaven, and the rights of God and of
men. You say, we are not murderers. But, let us be careful not to
commit murder in our heart. John states, "Whosoever hateth his
brother is a murderer" (1 John 3:15). Have you ever looked upon your
brother with hate in your heart. If so, it is time to get on your
knees and ask forgiveness.

The fourth an heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, This is a person whose thoughts are of iniquity. He or she plans evil. That heart
becomes the devil's workshop, the mark of utter depravity and wickedness. God knows the heart of each one of us. So states the Hebrew letter in 4:12-13. The person that plans evil is abhorred by Yahweh.

The fifth thing , Feet that be swift in running to mischief, This describes the
person who hastens to carry out their evil plans. Not only do they
devise wicked purposes, but they do the evil as well. It is one
thing to plan evil, and another thing to actually do evil. You will
notice that these are "swift" to run to mischief. They had rather do
evil than good. They are eager and diligent in doing wrong. They are
sinners who have a zeal for perpetuating sin. They delight in sin
with all of its evilness.

The sixth thing A false witness [that] speaketh lies, This is a particular aspect of lying -- FALSE
WITNESS. The Law of Moses spoke on this subject, "Thou shalt not
bear false witness against thy neighbor" (Exodus 20:16). When Jesus
was brought before Caiaphas on trial, there were false witness who
testified against him. Reading from Matthew 26:59-60, "Now the chief
priests and the whole council sought false witness against Jesus,
that they might put him to death; and they found it not, though many
false witnesses came." Isn't it tragic. They could find nothing
wrong in Jesus so they brought in false witnesses to speak against
Him. In the case of Stephen in Acts 6, "And they stirred up the
people, and the elders, and the scribes, and came upon him, and
seized him, and brought him into the council, and set up false
witnesses" (Acts 6:12-13). You see, if you can not find anything
wrong, just bring in liars, false witnesses.

The seventh thing is He that soweth discord among brethren. You will note that this
person is described as one who "soweth." A sower makes plans; he
must cultivate and prepare the soil. He then spreads the seed. His
work is premeditated, it is planned action. That is the way Jehovah
describes one who spreads discord among brethren. You mean to tell
me that someone would purposely plan to disrupt and sow discord
among brethren? Evidently so. Isn't that what the Proverb says? His
or her discord is not accidental, it is planned. There are some who
if they cannot have their own way they will seek to destroy. They
cannot control what is happening, so they go about to discredit or
defame others. And generally they commit the sin just before this
one, in that they offer lies and falsehoods. God hates one who would
sow discord among brethren. God's desires for His family is to be at
peace. Listen to the Psalmist, "Behold, how good and how pleasant it
is, for brethren to dwell together in unity" (Psalms 133:1).
Of course, I understand that this dwelling together in unity
must be accompanied with the truth of God's Word. We should be
united, but we must be united in the truth, for it, and it alone,
can make men free.

Jer 44:3-4.... to serve other gods, whom they knew not, [neither] they, ye, nor your fathers. ...

Oh, do not this abominable thing that I hate.

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saved1948
Advanced Member
Member # 5391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for saved1948     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The unpardonable sin is worst of all and that is not believing in Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior.<><

--------------------
John 3:16+6\[/p..................For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son,that whoever believed in Him should not perish but have everlasting life

Posts: 52 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lars7
Advanced Member
Member # 4911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lars7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe Scripture states that if you transgress just one of the laws....you are guilty of all.
To me thats saying God does not see degrees of sin as man does...In fact God does not view sin at all as we tend to....To God its the sin nature that seperated us from Him....not sin itself...the real question that should be asked here is...If Jesus dealt with the sin nature at the Cross...and sin no longer has dominon over man....why do we still sin?
Answer.....renewing ones mind to the things of God.

Posts: 49 | From: Ma | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lonlesol
Advanced Member
Member # 4511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lonlesol   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that there are sins greater than others...Jesus himself told Pilate that the one that handed him over to Pilate was guilty of a greater sin...so there are bigger and smaller sins...

John 19

8 When Pilate heard this, he was even more afraid,
9 and he went back inside the palace. "Where do you come from?" he asked Jesus, but Jesus gave him no answer.
10 "Do you refuse to speak to me?" Pilate said. "Don't you realize I have power either to free you or to crucify you?"
11 Jesus answered, "You would have no power over me if it were not given to you from above. Therefore the one who handed me over to you is guilty of a greater sin."

Posts: 478 | From: Quebec | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
penfor
First Post
Member # 5207

Icon 16 posted      Profile for penfor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have to say not all sins are the same in God's eyes. I can't imagine a tiny lie being the same as murder. That would be unjust. And I believe in a Just God.

But I do believe the sin of gossip is just as bad (or worse) than an addictive sin. Gossip is so destructive. So is addiction.

[hug]

--------------------
Peace

Posts: 1 | From: TN | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo Grequi
Advanced Member
Member # 3984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eduardo Grequi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
all sin are equally punishable by death,however, the sin of unbelief in Jesus (2 Thess 1:8-9) and why He came is eternal death or separation from God. The bridging of the soul and spirit occurs thru the blood of the Lamb and continuing unto baptism. Just belief alone isn't the remedy, like Jesus said, "He that believes and is baptize shall be saved." The blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is to deny Jesus the Christ as what scripture defines.
Posts: 771 | From: Belvidere, IL | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 15 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Notes on the Unpardonable Sin:

The Bible speaks of one unpardonable sin. Jesus talked about a blasphemy against the Holy Spirit that can never be forgiven (Mt. 12:31-32; Mk. 3:28-29). In addition, the apostle John mentions a "sin leading to death" (1 Jn. 5:16-17). What are these sins? Could we have committed them? How do we know whether we have crossed over the line?

The Blasphemy Against The Holy Spirit. Jesus said, "Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men. . . . whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come" (Mt. 12:31-32).

Before identifying the principle, let's note a couple of facts. On the positive side, only blasphemy against the Spirit is called unpardonable. Every other sin can be forgiven. That is good news.

It's also important to see the context in which Jesus made His statement. He gave His warning to religious leaders who were publicly rejecting Him. The Pharisees heard Him speak, saw His miracles, and observed His blameless life. Yet they still attributed His supernatural acts to the power of Satan. That is how they blasphemed the Spirit.

Technically, this sin cannot be repeated today in the same way it was committed in Jesus' day. Jesus is not physically with us doing miracles that can be attributed to Satan.

But can this sin be committed in principle? What if we have made irreverent remarks about the Holy Spirit? Is it possible we have committed this sin and passed a point of no return? Not if we are concerned about our relationship with Christ. A person who has committed the blasphemy Jesus was talking about will not want to be reconciled to Him. Someone in an unforgivable state would not long for the acceptance and forgiveness of the Son of God. Such a person would be like the Jewish leaders who because of their envy and stubborn pride continued to reject Jesus till their death.

Unforgivable people are those whom God has hardened in their own choices. The Holy Spirit no longer urges them to believe. These people will never long to believe in Jesus as their personal Savior. They will never worry about whether they can be forgiven.
If we are worried about whether or not God has accepted our belief in Christ, we are not unforgivable. Our concern shows that our heart is still soft and that we have not passed a point of no return.

Some might ask, "What about Esau? He tearfully showed repentance without receiving mercy" (Heb. 12:16-17). Look at the context. Esau wasn't begging for the everlasting forgiveness of his sins. He was crying because he had traded his family inheritance for a bowl of soup. When he realized what he had done, he found that it was too late to get his birthright back.

The Sin That Leads To Death. This is different from the unpardonable sin. A sin that results in death can be committed by the Lord's own people. The apostle Paul told believers in Corinth that because of their disrespect for "the Lord's Supper" (Communion Table), some of them were weak, some were sick, and some had even died (1 Cor. 11:30).

The apostle John also mentioned the possibility of a sin that would result in death. Without identifying any specific fatal behavior, he acknowledged in 1 John 5:16-17 the kind of sin that was committed by Ananias and Sapphira in Acts 5:1-11.

According to 1 Corinthians 11:30 and 1 John 5:16-17: (1) The sinning people who experienced premature death belonged to God. (2) Their "death" was physical, not eternal. First Corinthians 11:31-32 goes on to say, "For if we would judge ourselves, we would not be judged. But when we are judged, we are chastened by the Lord, that we may not be condemned with the world."

God understands sin, and knows how to deal with it. He will forgive sin if we repent and confess. Paul's wisdom needs to be practiced: (Phil 3:13 -14 … but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.)

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was taught that the unpardonable sin was blaspheming the Holy Spirit. The reason being that you can not get saved unless the Holy Spirit convicts you, you will not feel the call of the Lord in your heart. The only person, I ever heard of that committed this sin, was my Sunday School teacher’s nephew. He was raised in Church but rejected God. One Saturday night he called her drunk and began to make fun of the Holy Spirit, even as far as speaking in what he called tongues, saying that he did not need the Holy Spirit to speak in tongues. My Sunday School teacher was literally ill that Sunday. She was devastated, saying she feared for him. In less than a week the young man was dead. She felt he had indeed committed the unpardonable sin.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David I understand the unpardonable sin to be the one not covered by the blood. The one of the unbeliever. The one where the blood is not trusted in to cover. I did not have time this morning to listen to the audio, but do you believe something different about the unpardonable sin?
Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No not all all sin is the same.

There is the Unpardonable Sin

Click Here to listen to this audio.

or watch the below video online:

Click here to watch video

[Cross]

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was an interesting poll. I have to say that I have never really studied this out, but I think that to God sin is sin; but I think that to man some sins are worse than others... ultimately all end in death, but for example the scripture speaks of sexual sin as being not only sin, but sin against our own bodies.

Some sins can bind us more in this life than others or be more harmful to the quality of this life, but in the end all sin is sin before God.

So I dont see that there are degrees of sin, but degrees of earhtly realized consequinces of sin for us that are in addition to the end result of sin and that being death.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MySavingGrace
Advanced Member
Member # 4697

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MySavingGrace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
abomination unto him

is that using hte Lord's name in vain?

--------------------
http://crawfordpeace.nfshost.com/forum
Support the mother who lost her son protest the war
http://crawfordpeace.nfshost.com/

here are my comments, I am UHaventDoneNothin
http://crawfordpeace.nfshost.com/node/121

Posts: 426 | From: United States | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaughterAnn
Advanced Member
Member # 2055

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaughterAnn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The way I see it, any sin... all sin is the same in that it separates us from our Holy God. However, I believe the Bible points out several different sins that God hates, and therefore I think that He does see different sins differently.

Example:
Proverbs 6:16-19
16 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
17 A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
18 An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,
19 A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

Galatians 5:19-21
19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

I Corinthians 6:9-10
9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

About the gossip question, I said that some addictive sins are not worse than gossip. The reason I said that is because I think that gossip is an addictive sin. As a woman, I know that I have to employ discipline and practice not gossiping. I think that the more you talk about people, the easier it is... much like an addiction. James 3 makes it clear that the tongue is a dangerous and wonderful thing. The man (or woman [Wink] ) who can bridle the tongue controls his whole body.

--------------------
DaughterAnn †

"Isaiah 6:
5 Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts."

Posts: 60 | From: Lubbock, Texas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pleasemaranatha
Advanced Member
Member # 5150

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Pleasemaranatha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is all sin the same?

Are some addictive sins worse than the sin of gossip?

Poll Information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 31 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote Now     View Poll Results

--------------------
My soul waiteth for the Lord more than they that watch for the morning. Psalms 130 verse 6

Joyce

Posts: 308 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement