Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Polls Only   » How many can you name?

Author Topic: How many can you name?
Fred in fresno
Member # 4832

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Fred in fresno   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am ashamed to admit that I could only remember seven.I should remember,I just finished watching "The Jesus Film" starring Brian Deacon yesterday.
Posts: 2 | From: Fresno,California,USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats correct Wparr. Jesus did choose the original twelve:

Matthew 10:1-4
1 And when he had called unto him his twelve disciples, he gave them power against unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all manner of sickness and all manner of disease. 2 Now the names of the twelve apostles are these; The first, Simon, who is called Peter, and Andrew his brother; James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother; 3 Philip, and Bartholomew; Thomas, and Matthew the publican; James the son of Alphaeus, and Lebbaeus, whose surname was Thaddaeus; 4 Simon the Canaanite, and Judas Iscariot, who also betrayed him.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Walt and you probably should be nit picky. Mary was a disciple, she was not an Apostle.
Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I better learn that song Drew, I missed Philip. [BooHoo]
Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wparr
Advanced Member
Member # 891

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wparr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to be nick picky, but that there were 12 original disciples is misnomer.

Luke 6:13
And when day came, He called His disciples to Him and chose twelve of them, whom He also named as apostles:

He had many disciples from whom He choose the 12

Posts: 1203 | From: Eagle Nest, NM | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is an excellent topic and a challenge to us all. This old greybeard can remember events but names is my weakness.

Here is a lovely little song I just came across:

Tune of "Jesus Loves Me"

Jesus called them one by one,
Peter, Andrew, James and John,
Next, came Philip, Thomas too,
Matthew and Bartholomew.

Chorus-
Yes, Jesus called them,
Yes, Jesus called them,
Yes, Jesus called them,
He called them one by one.

James the one they called the less,
Simon, also Thaddeus,
Twelfth apostle Judas made,
Jesus was by him betrayed.

Repeat Chorus.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KJV MAN
Advanced Member
Member # 1905

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KJV MAN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I happen to know the names of all 12. As a new Christian , My preacher stated he thought it was pitiful that just about any fan could name all the players on their favorite NFL 53 man roster and some could probably name every player in the league but he guessed 90 % of these same folks could not name the original 12 disciples!
He was right...later that night I memorized the group ; up til that point I could only name 7!
BTW..........I knew all 53 players on the Titans and knew who the 8 practice squad players were ; I felt ashamed!!!

--------------------
BIBLE-Basic Instuctions Before Leaving Earth!!!!

Posts: 81 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mohawk
Advanced Member
Member # 2898

Icon 9 posted      Profile for mohawk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well... I can't. But that gives me a little mission. Knowing 'em all is something I ought'a! I'm gonna remedy that!

I bet a pal a coke (diet) that Paul wasn't one of the original twelve. But we had to look it up to confirm my pal owed me that soda.

Posts: 223 | From: california | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
withgreatmercy
Member # 4698

Icon 6 posted      Profile for withgreatmercy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not good at remembering who said what or where something is located in the Bible. A list of names was a little easier for me. I have so much studying to do!

--------------------
Kathy
www.withgreatmercy.com

Posts: 5 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaurieFL
Advanced Member
Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaurieFL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, lemme try, and I know it's gonna be sad because my memory has as many holes in it as swiss cheese.

Matthew, James, John, Peter, Judas, Mark, Thomas.....was there another James, or was it a second John or Simon? I know one name was duplicated. How about Jude and Philemon, were they apostles? Grrr, so sad. I *just* recently finished a rather indepth study of the Gospels. Guess it's time to hit them again.

Posts: 700 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adv.Christian
Advanced Member
Member # 3453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adv.Christian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Confused] I know what you mean Texasgrandma I only could name 9. [1zhelp]

--------------------
A person talking can not be listening; A person not listening can not be learning.

Posts: 299 | From: Raleigh/North Carolina | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 12 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Embarrassed] 7 but remember I am having those senior moments [Big Grin]

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adv.Christian
Advanced Member
Member # 3453

Icon 19 posted      Profile for Adv.Christian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The question is this; Can you name the twelve original disciples without having to look them up in the Bible?

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 14 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote Now     View Poll Results

--------------------
A person talking can not be listening; A person not listening can not be learning.

Posts: 299 | From: Raleigh/North Carolina | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement