Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Polls Only   » Reality T.V.

Author Topic: Reality T.V.
Pleasemaranatha
Advanced Member
Member # 5150

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Pleasemaranatha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must admit....

that every summer I am glued to Big Brother show. It is on c.b.s. I've watched it for 6 years. Last summer I subscribed to it on the internet 24/7.

It was funny. Not a very good hobby. The Lord is still working on me. I just like studing humans cooped up without getting out for 3 months and hearing all their conversations and such.

--------------------
My soul waiteth for the Lord more than they that watch for the morning. Psalms 130 verse 6

Joyce

Posts: 308 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mohawk
Advanced Member
Member # 2898

Icon 11 posted      Profile for mohawk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only have a few "gripes."

There was a Reality Show called "The Perfect Wedding," or something like that. The whole point of the show was, I believe, to undermine couples' loyalties by making them compete (and thereby compare themselves in an overblown context) with other couples.

And of course there are those shows where couples are tempted to cheat on their partners... and "Queer Eye" so far is a very aggressive expression (yet another one) of putting an "OK" stamp on homosexuality. The real problem is that, yes, a lot of people out there need to get themselves together--but all the "queer eye" guys do is suggest that materialism is the answer, and that gays are our experts on how to be "saved" from old habits. Does anyone else see that, let alone seem disturbed by it?

Fear Factor--I admit I enjoyed this show a lot UNTIL it became just a gross-out show--about eating worms, bugs, cow eyeballs ,etc. When it was about really intimidating physical challenges (in the 1st season) like leaping out of a helicopter, walking a tightrope, etc., I was glued to it. [Eek!]

Posts: 223 | From: california | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tyme
Advanced Member
Member # 3017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I like some of them.

The problem is when you draw a line and make it black and white, about something diverse as competition, and reality.

Now, I never quite understood the newness of ‘Reality TV’ I mean, are football players actors? Is anyone who competes in sports an actor? Are they not real people? Are the Olympic competitors not real people?

Reality TV has been around as long as TV has been around, we just never labeled it “Reality TV”

Truth be told, I like some of the shows, but I like them no more or less then any other “Game Show” I have watched.

Most of these ”Reality TV Shows are “Overblown Game Shows”

Things like “Antique Road show” is a reality TV show, that I like, because it’s about real people and real things.

Also “Emergency Vet”, “Animal Cops”, “America’s Funniest Home Videos”, and “Americas Funniest Animals”, are great shows that are about reality.

If this question was about “Some of the Dumbest Games shows ever conceived” then I guess “Reality TV” is for the most part a lame attempt to cut the costs of real actors, and fill air time with people that will abuse themselves for free.

I still like “America’s Most Wanted”, and “Animal Cops”, even if they are Reality TV.

Tyme.

--------------------
I dream of a world.......

Posts: 527 | From: United States | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spurgeon
Advanced Member
Member # 3401

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Spurgeon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't watch much television anymore, Sorry. When I was a kid, I used to watch too much. Most of these shows are aimed at 13 year olds anyway.

Fear Factor is the "eat a bug" show. I have an eight-year-old cousin who loves it. I have watched it a couple of times, but not recently. I see it as a show which glorifies personal abuse.

"Real World" - since when is the "real world" about handing a bunch of 20 year olds a fabulous house, trying to get them to sin?

"Road Rules" - is a show about people in an RV trying to make money. Maybe they should just sell stuff at trade shows!

"American Idol" - is Star Search with three hosts. I hardly watched Star Search with Ed McM, and I haven't watched more than a couple of minutes of this show.

"Survivor" - put people into a stressful tribal situation and then make them do games like see who can stand on a log the longest. Just like our ancestors never did.

Honestly, I enjoy game shows, like matchgame or even lingo more than reality tv.

Posts: 39 | From: Cookeville, TN | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Endoxos
Advanced Member
Member # 2929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Endoxos   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm indifferent to them. Some, like Fear Factor (the physical, push-yourself-to-the-limit types), don't bug me (or they make me think... a good thing! ^_^), but the stuff like American Idol or Swan (the I'm-so-great-or-beautiful-come-worship-me-through-your-votes type) I can't stand, and stuff like Real World I absolutely hate (I'm-being-a-stereotypical-person-so-you-can-love/laugh/hate-me type).

--------------------
My signature is apisdn umop.

Posts: 362 | From: HELP! I'm stuck in a DOS window! | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't like it. To me, fear factor is the worse. The previews make me sick to my stomach.

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you think of it?

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 23 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote Now     View Poll Results

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement