Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Favorite Devotions   » They had been scattered every man..

Author Topic: They had been scattered every man..
Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Luke 24:36-43

Luk 24:36 And as they thus spoke, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and said unto them, Peace be unto you.
Luk 24:37 But they were terrified and frightened, and supposed that they had seen a spirit.
Luk 24:38 And he said unto them, Why are you troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts?
Luk 24:39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit has not flesh and bones, as you see me have.
Luk 24:40 And when he had thus spoken, he showed them his hands and his feet.
Luk 24:41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have you here any food?
Luk 24:42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and a honeycomb.
Luk 24:43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Suggested further reading: Matthew 5:38-48

Mat 5:38 You have heard that it has been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
Mat 5:39 But I say unto you, That you resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite you on your right cheek, turn to him the other also.
Mat 5:40 And if any man will sue you at the law, and take away your coat, let him have your cloak also.
Mat 5:41 And whosoever shall compel you to go a mile, go with him two.
Mat 5:42 Give to him that asks you, and from him that would borrow of you turn not away.
Mat 5:43 You have heard that it has been said, You shall love your neighbor, and hate your enemy.
Mat 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them who despitefully use you, and persecute you;
Mat 5:45 That you may be the children of your Father who is in heaven: for he makes his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.
Mat 5:46 For if you love them who love you, what reward have you? do not even the tax collectors the same?
Mat 5:47 And if you greet your brethren only, what do you more than others? do not even the tax collectors so?
Mat 5:48 Be you therefore perfect, even as your Father who is in heaven is perfect.

Our Lord introduced himself to the disciples with singularly gracious words (v. 36). This was a wonderful saying when we consider the men to whom it was addressed. It was addressed to eleven disciples who three days before had shamefully forsaken their Master and fled. They had broken their promises. They had forgotten their professions of readiness to die for their faith. They had been scattered every man to his own and left their Master to die alone. One of them had even denied him three times. All of them had proved backsliders and cowards. And yet behold the return that the Master makes to his disciples! Not a word of rebuke is spoken. Not a single sharp saying fails from his lips. Calmly and quietly he appears in the midst of them and begins by speaking of peace.

We see in this one touching saying that the love of Christ `passeth knowledge'. It is his glory to pass over a transgression. He delights in mercy. He is far more willing to forgive than men are to be forgiven and far more ready to pardon than men are to be pardoned. There is in his almighty heart an infinite willingness to put away transgressions. Though our sins have been as scarlet, he is ever ready to make them as white as snow, to blot them out, to cast them behind his back, to bury them in the depths of the sea, to remember them no more. All these are scriptural phrases intended to convey the same great truth. The natural man is continually stumbling at them and refusing to understand them. At this we need not wonder. Free, full and undeserved forgiveness to the uttermost is not the manner of man. But it is the manner of Christ.

Where is the sinner, however great his sin, who need be afraid of applying to such a Saviour as this? In the hand of Jesus there is mercy enough and to spare. Where is the backslider, however far he Mayhave fallen, who need be afraid of returning? Christ is willing to raise and restore the very worst. Where is the professing Christian who ought not to be forgiving towards his brethren? The Saviour's words were full of peace.

For meditation: If Christ gives us peace with God when we have sinned so greatly, will we be unforgiving towards others?

J.C.R

I asked the Lord as much as I can to allow me to at least read 5 chapter of His Word daily, if I cant read at least spend sometime in His Word and look up few healthy devotional.
May the Lord God grant us His Grace according to His mercy.

--------------------
Romans 9:11-24

Our Eschatology may vary even our Ecclesiology may be disputed among us but our Soteriology most assume a singularity and exclusivity which in biblical term is known as Quote; "The Narrow Way" and Quote!

Posts: 2792 | From: Stockton,Ca | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement