Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Favorite Devotions   » Get To Know Jesus

Author Topic: Get To Know Jesus
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Matthew 7:21-29 21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AMH
Advanced Member
Member # 4895

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AMH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But really, any one who does not know Christ is part of the world system. So Burns’ statement is an oxymoron. And Calvin’s assessment that a person can be a Christian without knowing Christ cannot hold up to scripture.

What power is stronger-

The power that an empire such as Rome displayed in conquering the known world,

Or

The power that Christ displayed in His first coming when He conquered death?

Conquering the world has be done several times so when Christ comes the second time His taking over the world’s political system would not be such a big thing.

He showed great power when He defeated the devil, hell and death. No one else has ever done that.

AMH

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very well said.

[Smile]

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AMH
Advanced Member
Member # 4895

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AMH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David,

You seem to be saying that it is very important for us to know Christ.

But if as is often quoted, (Romans 8:31-35)-that there is absolutely nothing that can separate us from Christ then our lack of knowing Christ would not seem to be a deciding factor in our own personal salvation. That salvation is likened to some mantra that we are to recite at the giving of an invitation that prolongs the ending of a church service and that after such recitation nothing can come between the recitalist and heaven even the omission of knowing Christ. This belief would render Christianity a cold stark reality as there can be no fellowship between strangers.

If we say that we do not know Christ, (either by mouth or by action) then certainly Christ has the right to say the same about us. This is terms for separation because Christ says depart from me I do not know you. There is only one place where we can come to know Christ-His word. We must understand His word for our own benefit and in order to communicate it to others as people that do not know Him cannot understand what He says.

Here in lies the warfare. The enemy wants desperately to keep the word out of our hands. But he, (the enemy) has lost this battle as we are replete with scripture so that the enemy moves in other circles. If the word cannot be stopped then eyes must be blinded to its truth.

New Christians are not allowed to use the unction promised to them. Instead they are given the philosophies of men. It does not matter what the philosophy is as long as it takes them away from the truth. It does not even have to take them very far. The direction of movement is more important then the velocity as the enemy walks through millenniums the way that we walk through a room. As these new Christians progress they become staunch defenders, not of the word, but of the party line. In such a kingdom those that do not receive the party line are not allowed to buy or sell as their riches are antithetical to that of the type that so burdened the rich young ruler.

There is a church that thinks it is rich but is in reality wretchedly poor. Its poverty comes from the fact that it will not receive power from God. What energizes this church is money. And their motto is that they can do all things through their god that strengthens them. But their wealth is corrupt and their power quickly dissipates. This church is not found in any one denomination instead its nature is universal. It is a political/religious beast that can devour entire segments of society. This beast sets itself up in the heart and mind and will not leave of its own accord.

Christ says to the believer-be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

AMH

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That those who think that they are Christian but are not may come to know Christ.

Amen to this prayer. That is what my point is. We need to know Christ not just about Him.

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AMH
Advanced Member
Member # 4895

David,

The subject of your posting is intriguing, (the idea that one can be a Christian and not know Christ). At first I reel from Burns’ statement, “when all Christians will come to know Jesus”, thinking that it is an oxymoron-only seemingly a contradiction. Instead, I perceive a much deeper meaning to such a prayer.

Obviously when a person first comes to Christ the new believer knows very little. But life is never static, even spiritual life and Burns is not describing just new Christians but Christians in the general sense and what he is describing is that they do not know Christ.

How can believers justify such a conclusion as that of Burns', (that it is possible to be a Christian and not know Christ)?

John Calvin said that God’s grace is irresistible. That God chooses a person for salvation before that person is born physically, irregardless of what that person thinks, does, believes. Also that God chooses a person for damnation before that person is born, irregardless of what that person thinks, does, believes. In John Calvin’s world, a person can be a Christian and not even know it. Also, a person can think that he/she is a Christian when he/she really was never a Christian and was always and forever lost.

Jacob Arminius said that a person can truly be a Christian but over time, because of his/her lack of faith, loose their salvation. That God gives to everyone, including those that are Christians, free will. That no one is ever in any way forced to be His, even after they come to Christ.

4) For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
5) And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
6) If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame. (Hebrews 6:4-6)

Next to the prayer of Burns’ we may place another-

That those who think that they are Christian but are not may come to know Christ.

AMH

KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 15 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Read: 2 Peter 1:1-11

Grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. —2 Peter 3:18

In his book The Call, Os Guinness tells a story about Arthur Burns, chairman of the US Federal Reserve Board during the 1970s. Burns, who was Jewish, became part of a Bible study held at the White House at that time. One day, those in the group listened in surprise as Burns prayed, "O God, may the day come when all Jews will come to know Jesus." But an even bigger surprise came when he prayed for the time "when all Christians will come to know Jesus."

Burns hit on a profound truth we all need to wrestle with. Even if we claim the name of Jesus Christ, it may not be evident to others that we really know Him. Do we have a personal relationship with Him? If so, are we striving, praying, and working to know Jesus more intimately each day?

Peter, a man who knew Jesus well, said that "the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord" will bring us multiplied "grace and peace" (2 Peter 1:2). Knowing Jesus gives us "all things that pertain to life and godliness" (v.3). And knowledge of Jesus will help us develop character traits that show the world that we are connected to Him (vv.5-8).

Can you and I honestly say, "I know Jesus better today than I did yesterday"? —Dave Branon

No knowledge gained through arduous quest
Has made my heart so free
As this great fact of time and space—
That Jesus died for me! —D. De Haan

The better you know Jesus in your heart, the more the world will see Jesus in your life.

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement