Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Favorite Devotions   » The Psalms !!

Author Topic: The Psalms !!
yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yahsway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yahweh Bless You Betty, you are so sweet! Your right, until someone else has battaled with it, it would be hard for them to emphathize.

My own Dad says that anti-depressants are for the "weak minded". I just laugh at him and go on. He comes from the old school! Ha! I pray he never has to go through it, but your right about one thing, never say never. It just might happen to you.

Posts: 1238 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tovahsez,Welcome to the board! Everyone is right. It is odd that when a person needs to take medication for a mental problem they are looked down on as weak Chritistans. Yet, people in the Church take medication for physcial problems.
Like most of you I have not had to take medciation for depression in over 5 years, because God has helped me. But taking the medication, helped me slow down enough and be at peaced enough with myself that I could sit in Church and listen without feeling anixety. So yes medication can even be useful for the soul's needs.
Years later after the Precher made me feel like a dog for having depression, he too went through some very bad times. I never prayed for that to happen and I took no joy in it. But, God did tell me that the man now knew personally about depression. I have been in contact with this man many times since that . (He quit preaching). He is now the most compassionate and caring man. He was never before. God used his bout with depression to open the man's heart to the needs of others. Maybe God used my depression to help me to be more compassionate to others.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yahsway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shalom Sister Tovahsez! I too was diagnosed several years ago with depression. I took Zoloft for 2 years. I tried to wean myself off with no success. The depression came right back.

My mother and sister also battle with depression. I continued on my medication another 2 years and have been off of it now for 4 years. I have had no re-occuring depression so I praise Yahweh for that.

I felt like such a failure when I was first diagnosed with depression. My sisters in my church at that time rebuked me terribly and told me I did not have enough Faith in Yah to help me.

I reiterated my feelings to my Doctor who is also a believer. She said something I will never forget. She said she treats the Brain same as she would treat any other organ of the body. She reaffirmed for me that treating my chemical imbalance in no way would interfere with my spiritual walk with Yahweh.

The medicine did not make me some zombie, it did not get me high, but it allowed me to function like I did before I became depressed. It brought back a balance in my seretonin levels in my brain. Like I said, I have been off anti-depressants for some time now and do not need them but I would take them again if I did. Shalom

Posts: 1238 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the Board Tovahsez. I totally agree with you. Illness is illness whether it is in the mind or in the body. Many Christians wouldn't think twice about taking an aspirin for a headache, so why should there be stigma attached for taking medication for depression or whatever.

However, at times it may be a matter of seeking God's will for your life. Sometimes he may choose for a person to be medication free or counselling free and expect a believer to rely on his strength alone for overcoming a thorn.

We can't judge anyone in such matters. Every case is unique in God's eyes.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tovahsez
Member # 4609

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tovahsez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shalom Mishpocha! (Peace to you, Family)

I see everyone has posted spiritual solutions to the devastation that depression brings. These solutions, while comforting, will never solve true clinical, ongoing depression. Only a miracle healing from G-d can do that.

I recently learned I am a victim of depression and general anxiety disorder and have been for years. I have been on an antidepressant for about a month and it has been wonderful. Antidepressants correct chemical imbalances in the brain which causes depression. There is a difference between an occasional case of the blues and ongoing depression.

True depression cannot be made to go away by the force of someone's will to make it do so. It always returns. The medication does NOT turn you into a vegetable nor make you appear any different. You just stop being the victim of exaggerated emotions/thoughts.

I think Christians are loathe to the idea of taking medication because they feel this would mean their faith is weak. By the same token, if you were a diabetic would you stop taking insulin for that reason? If you had high blood pressure, would you stop taking medication? Of course not. Somehow we believe that problems of the mind can be overcome by that same mind, but in the case of TRUE, CLINICAL, ONGOING DEPRESSION it cannot.

If the stigma of this illness went away, more people would be set free from fear of "what others might think" if they take medication for it. Think of how you shoot the wounded when you criticize them for taking meds for this problem. They are already dealing with enough pain as it is. I pray there is a believer out there who will enjoin his/her voice to mine regarding this problem.

Please, I encourage all of you to do some research into the causes and cures of CLINICAL DEPRESSION (not the occasional blues)

Posts: 4 | From: NY State | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

Psalm 126 - A Song of Praise

When the Lord restored his exile to Jerusalem, it was like a dream!
We were filled with laughter, and we sang for joy.
And the others nations said. "What amazing things the Lord has done for them." Yes, the Lord has done amazing things for us. What joy!
Restore our fortunes, Lord, as streams renew the desert. Those who plant in tears will harvest with shouts of joy. They weep as the go to plant their seed, but they sing as they return with the harvest.

I just want praise the Lord with joy for all the bounty he has given me! Thank-you in Jesus' precious name. [spiny]

HisGrace
unregistered

You still can't beat the 23rd Psalm for comfort.

The Lord is Shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures;
He leadeth me beside the still waters;
He restoreth my soul. He leadeth me into the paths of righteousness, for his name's sake.

Yeah though I walk throught the valley of the shadow of death. I will fear no evil,for though art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies; thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

HisGrace
unregistered

Psalm 29: 1,2

Give honor to the Lord, you angels; give honor to the Lord for his glory and strength.

Give honor to the Lord for the glory of his name. Worship the Lord in the splendor of his holiness. [Cross]

psalm84
Community Member
Member # 4143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psalm84     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The wonderful thing that came to mind when reading all your replys was how David re-focused from his earthy situation to the heavenly things of God. The enemy is always trying to get us to take our eyes off the Lord to put cracks in our shield of faith, helmet of salvation. Once David began to praise God you could see in his words that his countenence change from someone suicidal to someone filled with confidence to carry out the will of God to his fullist. I'm also reminded of Acts 16 when Paul and Silas were bound by chains and in jail that they sang spiritual songs and soon their bands were loosened from the great earthquake. How much so our loving God wants to do that for us. Excuse the pun but it "depresses" me to suffer from depression. It's bad enough to worry about my surroundsings, but then to hear that voice that tells me that I should know better since I am a "Christian." Ughhhhhh!!!! But I'm grateful for our God who has left reminders of people like David and Elijah that when we are weak He is strong...when we are faithless, He is still faithfull! Well obviously from looking at my nic you can tell which is my fav. psalm [hyper] Yes, "For a day in thy courts is better than a thousand elsewhere."
Posts: 9 | From: CA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen Heather!!

Rev. 21:
3: And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.
4: And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
5: And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.
6: And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.

Psalm 3:
3: But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head.
4: I cried unto the LORD with my voice, and he heard me out of his holy hill. Selah.
5: I laid me down and slept; I awaked; for the LORD sustained me.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wondering04
Community Member
Member # 4113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wondering04     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My pastor suggested to me that when I can't sleep to read Psalms 1 - 4. They do help. If nothing else, it takes your mind off of your problems. I sometimes pick up the Bible and read even if it doesn't seem to compute because at least with God's word in your mind, there is less room for the horrible memories.

Heather

Posts: 17 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Lord is my refuge, my strength, my hope, in Him do I trust:

Psalm 91:
1: He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
2: I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
3: Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence.
4: He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.
5: Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day;
6: Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday.
7: A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
8: Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.
9: Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation;
10: There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.
11: For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.
12: They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone.
13: Thou shalt tread upon the lion and adder: the young lion and the dragon shalt thou trample under feet.
14: Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name.
15: He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him.
16: With long life will I satisfy him, and shew him my salvation.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

Psalm 89:40
You have broken through all his walls and reduced his strongholds to ruins.

HisGrace
unregistered

Psalm 56:11
In God have I put my trust: I will not be afraid what man can do unto me. (KJV)

HisGrace
unregistered

Have you ever had anyone give you a rough time? Don't forget to put on that armor first thing every morning.

Psalm 36: 1-4
Sin whispers to the wicked, deep within their hearts. They have no fear of God to restrain them. In their blind conceit, they cannot see how wicked they are.

Everything they say is crooked and deceitful. They refuse to act wisely or do what is good.They lie awake at night, hatching sinful plots. Their course of action is never good. They make no attempt to turn from evil.

HisGrace
unregistered

Psalm 126:5
Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy. [Smile]

WhiteEagle
Advanced Member
Member # 3728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhiteEagle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TEXASGRANDMA:
HisGrace ,

Psalms has always been a source of comfort to me. Depression runs in my family, through dad and mom both. Reading about David's bouts with depression makes me feel better. Not everyone understands depression. I asked a preacher one time to help me overcome depression. He told me that he did not allow himself to be depressed. This approach worked so well for me that within 2 months I was hospitalized for depression. That same preacher refused to visit me in the hospital, even on the day I had surgery for a physical problem. [Mad]
He did not want to be seen in the shrink wing, I guess.

But, God was merciful and seen me through. During my hospital time, I did learn some coping skills and with God's help, I am able to ride out my bouts with depression.
I always think that Psalms is in the Bible to show us thar God doesn't get mad at us when we get depressed and to show us how to overcome depression.

Dear Texasgrandma,

I too suffer from Clinical Depression. It's partly a physical problem and partly spiritual, as Satan attacks our weak spots.

I understand your pain at your then pastor abandoning you. You're right some people really don't understand this illness at all.

One time I awoke from sleep with the thought of Psalms 35:10. I was going through a really bad time, and I was tormented by symptoms of depression. I never had ever read or memorized this verse, so I believe the Lord gave it to me, as encouragement.

"All my bones will say, "Lord who is like thee, Who delivers the afflicted from him who is too strong for him. And the afflicted and needy from him who robs him.?"

God brought it to pass, and is still bringing it to pass. Were we are weak He is strong. [wiggle7]

Posts: 1392 | From: Maine | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kris
Community Member
Member # 3757

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kris   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is my favourite verse

Psalm24 4-6 4 He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to an idol or swear by what is false. [1] 5 He will receive blessing from the LORD and vindication from God his Savior. 6 Such is the generation of those who seek him, who seek your face, O God of Jacob

Posts: 10 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SciptureAndPrayers
Advanced Member
Member # 3633

Icon 14 posted      Profile for SciptureAndPrayers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
His Grace,

Great post! I think that I'll take that Psalm and recite it every morning. It's very encouraging.

--------------------
In Christ's love. Amen.

Posts: 345 | From: Rochester NY | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

Our Christian walk is a constant purging and cleansing process. When we pray we have to be sure to listen and pay attention to what the Holy Spirit is telling us, if we want to stay in the centre of God's will for our lives.

Psalm 139:22-24
Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my thoughts.
Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life.

This Psalm is a very important part of my life, because sometimes we are out of step and aren't even aware of it.

HisGrace
unregistered

Psalm 49:5
Why should I fear when evil days come, when wicked deceivers surround me-

In these end times we see how Satan is becoming a ultimate master at deceiving believers. We used to be able to identify him through New Age religions, Buddhism, Paganism, etc, but now he is craftily infiltrating the mainstream faiths with compromise, deceit and lies.

Dear Lord lift the veil from their eyes.

HisGrace
unregistered

Psalm 51:12
Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.

Also as in Job 42:10, we can expect God to restore our portion, through victory, twice as much as the devil has stolen from us.

Another example of God's endless grace.

HisGrace
unregistered

Another devil fighter -

Psalm 12:5
"Because of the oppression of the weak and the groaning of the needy, I will now rise," says the LORD . "I will protect them from those who malign them."

Kristi
Advanced Member
Member # 3396

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Kristi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depression runs in my very little family also.

I find reading Psamls helps me with my depression, specifically Psamls 103.

1 Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
2 Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:
3 Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases;
4 Who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies;
5 Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle's.
6 The LORD executeth righteousness and judgment for all that are oppressed.
7 He made known his ways unto Moses, his acts unto the children of Israel.
8 The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy.
9 He will not always chide: neither will he keep his anger for ever.

10 He hath not dealt with us after our sins; nor rewarded us according to our iniquities.
11 For as the heaven is high above the earth, so great is his mercy toward them that fear him.
12 As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.
13 Like as a father pitieth his children, so the LORD pitieth them that fear him.
14 For he knoweth our frame; he remembereth that we are dust.
15 As for man, his days are as grass: as a flower of the field, so he flourisheth.
16 For the wind passeth over it, and it is gone; and the place thereof shall know it no more.

17 But the mercy of the LORD is from everlasting to everlasting upon them that fear him, and his righteousness unto children's children;
18 To such as keep his covenant, and to those that remember his commandments to do them.
19 The LORD hath prepared his throne in the heavens; and his kingdom ruleth over all.
20 Bless the LORD, ye his angels, that excel in strength, that do his commandments, hearkening unto the voice of his word.
21 Bless ye the LORD, all ye his hosts; ye ministers of his, that do his pleasure.
22 Bless the LORD, all his works in all places of his dominion: bless the LORD, O my soul.

Holy Bible -- King James Version

Blessings, \o/

MsGuidedAngel

--------------------
YSIC \o/
MsGuidedAngel aka KristiAnn
*~*Kristi Ann's Haven*~*

Posts: 109 | From: Oregon | God Loves You! | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

Yes Betty, depression is a terrible thing. My late father had quite a bit of depression and lived a very tortured life.

I have never suffered from ongoing clinical depression, but around ten years ago I could feel myself deepening into a nervous breakdown. I was emotionally losing control, but suddenly a calm came over me and I could feel the Lord lifting me out of it and after felt nothing but peace.

Back to the Psalms, I have memorized three Psalms, the 23rd Psalm being one of them. I could go on and on about the Psalms, but here is another favourite.

Psalm 144: 1,2 Bless the Lord, who is my rock.
He gives me strength for war and skill for battle.
He is my loving ally and my fortress, my tower of safety, my deliverer.
He stands before me as a shield, and I take refuge in him.
He subdues my people under me.

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HisGrace ,

Psalms has always been a source of comfort to me. Depression runs in my family, through dad and mom both. Reading about David's bouts with depression makes me feel better. Not everyone understands depression. I asked a preacher one time to help me overcome depression. He told me that he did not allow himself to be depressed. This approach worked so well for me that within 2 months I was hospitalized for depression. That same preacher refused to visit me in the hospital, even on the day I had surgery for a physical problem. [Mad]
He did not want to be seen in the shrink wing, I guess.

But, God was merciful and seen me through. During my hospital time, I did learn some coping skills and with God's help, I am able to ride out my bouts with depression.
I always think that Psalms is in the Bible to show us thar God doesn't get mad at us when we get depressed and to show us how to overcome depression.

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whitesands777
Advanced Member
Member # 3424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for whitesands777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen!
Posts: 501 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

When we are attacking the enemy, the Psalms are a great weapon. I would like us to share a verse, a portion, or a small Psalm, which have given us comfort, victory and strength.

I have memorized Psalm 150, New Living Bible (New Living Translation is slightly different)

Hallelujah! Yes, praise the Lord!
Praise him in his Temple and in the heavens he made with mighty power.
Praise for his mighty works;
Praise his unequaled greatness.Praise with the trumpet and with lute and harp.
Praise him with the tambourines and processional.
Praise him with stringed instruments and horns.
Praise him with the cymbals, YES LOUD CLANGING CYMBALS.
Let everything alive give praises to the Lord. You praise Him!
Hallelujah!!

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement