Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Favorite Devotions   » Pushing Against the Rock

Author Topic: Pushing Against the Rock
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RioLion I really don't want to bring this up, but I feel led to address something you said. When I read your post I felt that you were quite flippant, so therefore there is a lesson to be learnt from your words.

When I opened this thread I was going through some difficult times and this story really spoke to me. When I posted on the 16th, I was at one my lowest points because the Lord was starting to reveal some facts to me and I was shattered. (He certainly has his reasons for protecting us sometimes)

I did say that the burden had lifted, but that doesn't mean that the devil isn't still lurking around. However, the Lord has helped me to stay firm on his promises and I know he never tells a lie.

The thing I am learning about this faith walk is that he never tells us when our prayers are going to be answered. We may be given a scripture and it may take 2 days, 2 months or 2 years for His promises to be fulfilled. It all has to be according to his perfect timing.

I have no hard feelings RioLion, but supposing I had lost a child (which isn't the case - thank-you Lord) and was trying to overcome a very difficult grieving period, insensitive remarks like that might have sent me over the edge.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bat Elohim
Advanced Member
Member # 3739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bat Elohim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RioLion:
Beautiful story and analogy.

But as coming from the scientific/engineering background, I immediately wondered why he did not use his brains and employ cables, pulleys, levers, etc. With the simple principles of physics he could have moved the entire earth if he had a place to stand on.
[Roll Eyes]

LOL!!! you know... when I was reading it... I was thinking that he needed to get a log or something as a lever... but... LOL!

I was a great story. [Smile] thanks for posting!

--------------------
Numbers 6:24 May ADONAI bless you and keep you. 25 May ADONAI make his face shine on you and show you his favor. 26 May ADONAI lift up his face toward you and give you peace.

Posts: 704 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RioLion
unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beautiful story and analogy.

But as coming from the scientific/engineering background, I immediately wondered why he did not use his brains and employ cables, pulleys, levers, etc. With the simple principles of physics he could have moved the entire earth if he had a place to stand on.
[Roll Eyes]

WhiteEagle
Advanced Member
Member # 3728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhiteEagle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for that story, It is a blessing! [Smile]
Posts: 1392 | From: Maine | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[clap2] [clap2] [clap2]
[youpi] Praise Our Glorious God!!!!
[youpi]
[wiggle7] [wiggle7] [wiggle7]

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

My burden has lifted. I have pushed the rock long enough and now it is Jesus' turn.

I have done my best now he can do the rest. [spiny]

HisGrace
unregistered

There was a man who was asleep one night in his cabin when suddenly his room filled with light and the Savior appeared. The Lord told the man He had a work for him to do, and showed him a large rock in front of his cabin. The Lord explained that the man was to push against the rock with all his might.

This the man did, day after day. For many years he toiled from sun up to sun down, his shoulders set squarely against the cold, massive surface of the unmoving rock pushing with all his might.

Each night the man returned to his cabin sore and worn out, feeling that his whole day had been spent in vain. Seeing that the man was showing signs of discouragement, Satan decided to
enter the picture placing thoughts into the man's mind such as; "You have been pushing against that rock for a long time and it hasn't budged. Why kill yourself over this? You are never going to move it? etc."

Thus, giving the man the impression that the task was impossible and that he was a failure.

These thoughts discouraged and disheartened the man even more. "Why kill myself over this?" he thought. "I'll just put in my time, giving just the minimum of effort and that will be good enough."

And that he planned to do until one day he decided to make it a matter of Prayer and take his troubled thoughts to the Lord. "Lord" he said, "I have labored long and hard in your service, putting all my strength to do that which you have asked. Yet, after all this time, I have not even budged that rock a half a millimeter. What is wrong? Why am I failing?"

To this the Lord responded compassionately, "My friend, when long ago I asked you to serve me and you accepted, I told you that your task was to push against the rock with all your strength, which you have done. Never once did I mention to you that I expected you to move it. Your task was to push. And now you come to me, your strength spent, thinking that you have failed. But,is that really so? Look at yourself. Your arms are strong and muscled, your back brown, your hands are callused from constant pressure, and your legs have become massive and hard.

Through opposition you have grown much and your abilities now surpass that which you used to have. Yet you haven't moved the rock.

BUT YOUR CALLING WAS TO BE OBEDIENT, TO PUSH AND TO

EXERCISE YOUR FAITH AND TRUST IN MY WISDOM,
this you have done. I, my friend,

I WILL NOW MOVE THE ROCK

Author unknown

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement