Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Favorite Devotions   » Who are we bragging about?

Author Topic: Who are we bragging about?
SciptureAndPrayers
Advanced Member
Member # 3633

Icon 14 posted      Profile for SciptureAndPrayers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David,

Thanks for this message. It was just in time for me. I'm a new member of this bulletin board and have been perusing different topics and threads over the last few days. I have to say that I've been very discouraged with what I've encountered so far and can only hope that it's not representative of the whole site. My goal in joining the site was to have fellowship with other believers, maybe learn something from another brother, perhaps encourage someone. With few exceptions, all I've seen are examples of brothers squaring off with each other to prove who is holier or has a better grasp of scripture. Ofcourse, debate and discussion are good and keep the church healthy, but asserting ourselves and debasing our brothers (for whom Christ died) to bolster the ego does no one any good. A little humility in the mix works in everybody's favor.

--------------------
In Christ's love. Amen.

Posts: 345 | From: Rochester NY | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 16 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who are we bragging about?

2 Cor. 10
[12] For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.
[13] But we will not boast of things without our measure, but according to the measure of the rule which God hath distributed to us, a measure to reach even unto you.
[14] For we stretch not ourselves beyond our measure, as though we reached not unto you: for we are come as far as to you also in preaching the gospel of Christ:
[15] Not boasting of things without our measure, that is, of other men's labours; but having hope, when your faith is increased, that we shall be enlarged by you according to our rule abundantly,
[16] To preach the gospel in the regions beyond you, and not to boast in another man's line of things made ready to our hand.
[17] But he that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.
[18] For not he that commendeth himself is approved, but whom the Lord commendeth.

In today's world we see and hear many who are so tied up in disputing God's word, that they in fact make it of no effect! Let me explain? You see, there has been for quite some time a group of individual's in all of their "zeal", who have made it their life to "challenge" others in certain area's of their faith! Now please don't take me wrong, I believe in upholding the Gospel of Jesus Christ, however, the Gospel of Christ needs no help in "defending" itself!

Jesus left his disciples, as well as us, the "Great Commission" which is to preach the Gospel! Jesus did not tell us to go about disputing his words with other saints! Jesus did not give us "Bragging Rights" when it comes to his word; Yet, so many today find themselves in the very unique position as to "dispute" rather than to "deliver" his Gospel message!

The apostle Paul makes it very plain that the only thing we are to "glory" in, is the Lord! The only thing that matters is that the Lord is the one who is "commending" us! The Gospel message is so profound in it's totality, that any effort be man to add to or take away, just proves all the more, the shear ignorance of his or her lack of "wisdom!" To think that "we" could ever instruct God is like a new born babe telling it's father or mother how to properly feed or bath it! We would think such a thing totally absurd, however, men and women alike are forever more trying to instruct God as to the "real interpretation" of his own words!

It seems to be, unfortunately, in man's nature to "brag" on himself at every opportunity! Take for instance when someone goes to a garage sale, when asked how much we got a certain item for, we are quick to say..."I Jewed them down by $5.00! When a woman is asked about her clothes by another woman, they are quick to say, I got it at the thrift store for only 25 cents! Now I know that these are silly examples, but I am sure that you all could think of some more extreme than these, right? The point I am struggling to make is that we, by nature wish to "share" with others something that we are very proud of, weather it be our children, spouses, houses, cars or even ourselves!

We need to remind ourselves on a daily basis the 17th verse of 2 Cor. 10..." he that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord!" So the next time we feel the need to "brag" let us brag about the fact that we are no longer fatherless, but we have been grafted in by our Heavenly Father and not to cease in sharing this Gospel message with everyone we come in contact with!

May God's richest blessings be upon you!
The Shepherd!

We invite you to visit our web site at www.theshepherdsheart.com it is continually being updated, so please check back often to see what we have added.

[type]

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement