Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Favorite Devotions   » Where Is The Wood?

Author Topic: Where Is The Wood?
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 16 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gen.22
[6] And Abraham took the wood of the burnt offering, and laid it upon Isaac his son; and he took the fire in his hand, and a knife; and they went both of them together.
[7] And Isaac spake unto Abraham his father, and said, My father: and he said, Here am I, my son. And he said, Behold the fire and the wood: but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?

Wood has always played a very important part in Biblical history! First we see in the very beginning, God commanding Noah to build an Ark made of Gopher wood. This Ark was the means by which God chose to save Noah and his family from sudden and certain death!

Here in these two verses, we see the wood, the fire and the knife! It didn't take long for Isaac to notice that there was something missing from this picture. The story of Abraham offering up his son Isaac has always been a most powerful message of faith. Abraham had to become willing to obey God exactly, trusting that what God had before time promised him, he would keep!

The wood was what was to be used to "stoke the fire" so to speak, so that the offering could be burnt! The knife was used to "kill the offering" before the sacrifice could be offered up to God. So we see three elements here that deserve to be considered.

First there is the wood. The wood must always be present in order for there to even be any fire! Now then, the next question is, what kind of wood should be used? There are some types of wood that burn and there are others that do not burn so well. I was talking to a friend the other day and he told me that the wood I was getting ready to put back and save for our future camping trips, would not be any good! I asked him why, and he said that the wood was too green and that it would not burn! So it is very important that we had wood that was dead in order to make our camp fire burn nice and hot! By the way, this wood that I do have just happens to be cherry wood, Mmm, that is really going to smell good!

The next element is the fire! The heat and the power of the fire, depends on the type of wood that is being used! Fire is only as powerful and the "fuel the stokes it!" In order to be able to burn a sacrifice, there had to be plenty of heat. Fire also purges! Fire was used to burn up any thing that was considered to be defiled as well as dead, in the Bible days! Fire can also be a very difficult thing to control, once it really gets to going!

Thirdly there is the knife! The knife was used to "kill the sacrifice" that was to be offered up. There had to be a shedding of blood, to make atonement for sins. The knife was the "instrument" to be used to bring the death of the sacrifice before it could be burnt on the altar!

My friend: Where is the wood? Where is the fire? Where is the knife? Are you willing to become dead, so that you can be alive? How about it neighbor, why don't you "pick up your wood" and follow Christ! Allow Christ to "burn out" all of the impurities in your life! Finally, lets all be willing to "take the knife" and present ourselves a living sacrifice unto God, Holy and acceptable, which is our reasonable service!

May God's richest blessings be upon you!
The Shepherd!

We invite you to visit our web site at www.theshepherdsheart.com it is continually being updated, so please check back often to see what we have added.

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement