Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Deny self, ongoing

Author Topic: Deny self, ongoing
Ollie
Member # 15579

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ollie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did already. Recovering from flu... Shalom

--------------------
Nanc

Posts: 4 | From: PA | Registered: Feb 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ollie:
It sounds like you wanted to hear a scripture regarding my comment on how scripture has helped me 'put on love.' There's a number..both regarding love and how God uses scripture to accomplish His will. 'Cast your bread upon the water and it shall return to you after many days.'. 'faith works by love'

Still not scripture? Please post the text.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kornelius
Advanced Member
Member # 15448

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kornelius     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my experience, loving Jesus is about knowing him. The more I know him the greater the attraction. Now, knowing Jesus is considerably different to knowing about him. I can know all about Ghandi or President Kennedy or my neighbour yet not know them at all.
They stand at arms length no matter how much I know about them, even their intimate details.

The song, 'this is my fathers world' was coined by one who knew Jesus. It pours out in the lyrics as it does in those of the song 'a mighty fortress is our God' by Luther.

When Jesus told Phillip at their first meeting that he'd seen him under the fig tree praying, what do you imagine Phillip was praying for?

Yes, Jesus came to be known just like the disciples knew him after the resurrection. 1 John testifies to that fact.

And how do I know him? By inviting him to reveal himself to me. Jesus in the scripture extends his invitation, 'if any man opens the door I will come in and sup with him'

To know him surpasses any skill of being able to quote chapter and verse.
Being able to quote chapter and verse is a great skill but it is no substitute for knowing the one bruised for our iniquities and resurrected for our justification. Selah

Posts: 70 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ollie
Member # 15579

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ollie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like you wanted to hear a scripture regarding my comment on how scripture has helped me 'put on love.' There's a number..both regarding love and how God uses scripture to accomplish His will. 'Cast your bread upon the water and it shall return to you after many days.'. 'faith works by love'

--------------------
Nanc

Posts: 4 | From: PA | Registered: Feb 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yeah the issue may be religion, versus relationship...

Just a note regarding how Jesus uses my praying scripture on a myriad of topics...God honors it!
praying scripture.

Muttering, meditating may be a way to enforce it. (The Holy Spirit often quickens scripture when I pray...'the spirit of a man is the lamp of the Lord')

Post your Scripture to back up you theory.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ollie
Member # 15579

Yeah the issue may be religion, versus relationship...

Just a note regarding how Jesus uses my praying scripture on a myriad of topics...God honors it!
praying scripture.

Muttering, meditating may be a way to enforce it. (The Holy Spirit often quickens scripture when I pray...'the spirit of a man is the lamp of the Lord')

--------------------
Nanc

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 18 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Read that self denial is a great way to get the focus on Jesus. It works for both overcoming and dealing with loving self. I have done that frequently but tend to fall back into old patterns after great breakthrough. 1. Praying into scriptures to love sacrifically helps. 2. Taking action steps helps. What's a good way to change one's mindset. Proverbs has a great scripture...so you know it's truth...that you destroy the mindset in which they trust. How to identify the bogus mindset is the question. [type]

"self denial" is just another form of works.

1.Galatians 5:4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

2.One does not "pray into" scripture to love sacrificially.

3.Pray that the Spirit may enlighten the scripture and help you to understand it's rightfully divided meaning.

4.Over the years I have found that if you walk in Christ you will stay on course. That these other man made methods of worship and will worship actually keep one from a true north relationship that is needed to guide one through life's storms.

So you may ask me, "well what is this "in Christ"that you reference.

This is where you can direct your prayers for understanding as you study the Apostle Paul's epistles in the New Testament. Look for "in Christ" and its use.

Here are some examples you will find in the KJV.

asleep in Christ, hope in Christ,even so in Christ ,I have in Christ,all in Christ, you in Christ, speak we in Christ, away in Christ, that is in Christ,

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

--------------------
That is all.....

Ollie
Member # 15579

Icon 19 posted      Profile for Ollie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Read that self denial is a great way to get the focus on Jesus. It works for both overcoming and dealing with loving self. I have done that frequently but tend to fall back into old patterns after great breakthrough. 1. Praying into scriptures to love sacrifically helps. 2. Taking action steps helps. What's a good way to change one's mindset. Proverbs has a great scripture...so you know it's truth...that you destroy the mindset in which they trust. How to identify the bogus mindset is the question. [type]

--------------------
Nanc

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement