Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Interpretation

Author Topic: Interpretation
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 15 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can't ever verify your salvation on the basis of a past event or events no matter how emotional, ecclesiastical they were. When you look for the inventory, this is what you're looking for, an attitude of penitence toward sin, a pursuit, a hunger and thirst after righteousness, a willing and joyous submission to the lordship of Christ, a longing to obey the Word and a compelling love toward God, Christ, the Holy Spirit, other believers. That's what identifies you as being in the faith and evidences that Christ is in you.

http://www.gty.org/resources/sermons/47-94/the-pattern-of-sanctification-part-2-authenticity

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 18 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carol Swenson:
If you have sincerely put your faith in Christ and received Him as your Lord and Savior, then you are indwelt by His Holy Spirit. We are not true Christians because of someone's opinion or because of certain behaviors we do or don't do, but we are true Christians when we are indwelt by His Spirit.

The New Testament teaches us what behaviors please our Lord. Those of us who love Him discover that we agree with what He asks. Obeying is not a burden, but a pleasure and a fulfillment.

James 4:17 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

Ephesians 4:
1 I(Paul) therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,
2 With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;
3 Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
5 One Lord, one faith, one (Spiritual)baptism,
6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

7 But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.

Interpretation is one and of the Spirit.

Application is individual.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have sincerely put your faith in Christ and received Him as your Lord and Savior, then you are indwelt by His Holy Spirit. We are not true Christians because of someone's opinion or because of certain behaviors we do or don't do, but we are true Christians when we are indwelt by His Spirit.

The New Testament teaches us what behaviors please our Lord. Those of us who love Him discover that we agree with what He asks. Obeying is not a burden, but a pleasure and a fulfillment.

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redsickle7
Community Member
Member # 13441

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redsickle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are there bible passages that command certain behaviors that you do not follow?

Are there bible passages that condemn or forbid something that you do?

If so why? This what I don't understand, how devout must one be to be called a true Christian, or is that a matter of opinion?

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Redsickle7:
How can one call themselves Christian if they do not follow the bible %100 literal. There are some very unusual, ridiculous and terrible things commanded and forbidden by the bible. Can someone explain how they pick and choose the parts to follow? Any information or personal anecdotes is appreciated. Thank you.

Hi Redsickle7. I understand your question and the confusions and problems that can come from misunderstanding the Word. Cults come from misinterpretations, but absolute literal translation is impossible. For example, we cannot literally eat the flesh of Christ or drink His blood.

John 6:53-58 (NASB)
53 So Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in yourselves. 54 "He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. 55 "For My flesh is true food, and My blood is true drink. 56 "He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him. 57 "As the living Father sent Me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats Me, he also will live because of Me. 58 "This is the bread which came down out of heaven; not as the fathers ate and died; he who eats this bread will live forever."

He made it clear that He was not speaking in literal terms (John 6:63). He was using a human analogy to convey a spiritual truth, just as He did with Nicodemus and the Samaritan woman.

How, then, do we "eat His flesh and drink His blood"? Through the Word. "The words that I speak unto you, they are spirit and they are life" (John 6:63). "And the Word became flesh" (John 1:14). Our Lord said the same thing: "He that heareth My word and believeth on Him that sent Me, hath everlasting life" (John 5:24). The scribes who knew Jeremiah 31:31-34 would have understood the concept of receiving God's Word into one's inner being.

(Bible Exposition Commentary - Be Alive (John 1-12).)

So how do we study the Bible if we can't take everything literally, but we don't want to misunderstand?

My advice is to have a really good Bible commentary as a guide. John MacArthur and Warren Wiersbe are two I trust.

Avoid the extremes of legalism on the one hand and license on the other.

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 9 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amos 8:11 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord GOD, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD:
12 And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the LORD, and shall not find it.
13 In that day shall the fair virgins and young men faint for thirst.

This day is now upon us as God's Word has systematically been removed and silenced from the average baseball fan by Evil in high places represented today by the Obama Administration and the Pope to name but a few.

God's Precious Word TODAY!
"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time." (1 Timothy 2:5-6), KJV)

THIS TIME IS NOW UPON US!

ITS YOUR PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY!

The Bible KJV, God's WORD, will only be a story book written by men unless.......YOU ARE BORN AGAIN!

How To Be Born Again

The Sinner: "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23).
The Problem: "Jesus answered . . . Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God" (John 3:3).
The Sentence: "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord" (Romans 6:23).
The Saviour: "But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8).
The Solution: "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" (Romans 10:9).
The Timing: "Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation" (2 Corinthians 6:2).
Your Acceptance of God's Gift: If you really believe that Jesus Christ took your place in judgment for your sins on the Cross, you can pray the following prayer.
The Prayer: Lord Jesus Christ, be merciful to me a sinner. I do now receive you as my personal Lord and Saviour.
The Result: If you sincerely prayed the above prayer, you are now born again! (John 3:3).
Welcome to God's Family: "Therefore if any man [or woman] be in Christ, he [or she] is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new" (2 Corinthians 5:17).
--------------------

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 6 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its every Baseball fans responsibility!....Skip all the church theories and work with the Holy Spirit Direct. But the Spirit has to have the word to enlighten.
Personal Bible study is a MUST!

This is worth investing 1hr to fully understand the Dispensation of Grace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4GQB4UOpMk&list=PL41BCE46CAD456DC8

Rightly Dividing The Word (Part One) The Key!
This study in a basic study on how to apply God's Divine way to understand His Word as laid out in 2 Timothy 2:15. By RIGHTLY DIVIDING God's Word.
BY TWINCITIESGRACE1

It will automatically load to the next parts..

Enjoy....

--------------------
That is all.....

Redsickle7
Community Member
Member # 13441

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redsickle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How can one call themselves Christian if they do not follow the bible %100 literal. There are some very unusual, ridiculous and terrible things commanded and forbidden by the bible. Can someone explain how they pick and choose the parts to follow? Any information or personal anecdotes is appreciated. Thank you.
Posts: 8 | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement