Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Let God be true (because people lie)

Author Topic: Let God be true (because people lie)
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 14 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joel Osteen comes to mind...

While we all love to be told how good we are and how great we can be and how much God loves us, do we also hear a balanced presentation of Scripture, wherein we understand our sinfulness before a holy God and our need to repent and align with God’s righteous standards? If we fail to do this out of fear of man or a man-pleasing spirit, we really are defrauding people and possibly keeping them from their eternal salvation.

http://www.charismanews.com/opinion/heres-the-deal/41291-is-joel-osteen-simply-using-doubletalk-to-please-the-masses

Recently Joel was interviewed by the Huffington Post to talk about his new book, Break Out! 5 Keys to Go Beyond Your Barriers and Live an Extraordinary Life. The interviewers took advantage of the opportunity to ask him about homosexuality. The response he gave was as follows:

God absolutely likes and accepts gays.

It is not his place to tell anyone what they are doing is wrong.

God’s disciples should love one another.

Nobody is perfect.

He is not preaching hate or pushing people down.

This week in our city, the Nashville Scene publication put the Rev. Emilie Townes on the cover with the headline “Divine Inspiration.” She is the new dean of Vanderbilt Divinity School. She is also an open lesbian who is ordained by the American Baptist Church and was selected by the provost of the university because “her sexuality is not relevant” and the university “actively seeks to populate itself with diverse believers professing a wide spectrum of beliefs.”

Here’s the deal: When faced with the above, let me attempt to model how to respond, doing so with utmost charity and clarity yet consistent with the sacred Scripture:

All of us are broken and born with a fallen nature that gives us a tendency to sin.

Homosexuality is not simply an “alternative lifestyle.”

Some people are definitely more susceptible to homosexuality than others, but predisposition is not predestination.

God loves all people and gave His Son to die to redeem mankind so that our sins could be forgiven and we would be free from sin’s power.

Practicing homosexuality is most definitely sinful and contradicting biblical teaching on God’s order for human relationships and family.

To call oneself an authentic Christian and remain a practicing homosexual is a direct contradiction of biblical teaching and contrary to the abundant life promised by Jesus Christ.

Homosexual behavior can be changed, as evidenced by multitudes throughout the world and in the Bible.

If you say, “I was born this way,” I say, "You can be born again!"

The Bible tells us, “If the bugle blow an indistinct sound, how can we prepare for battle?”

As our nation is rapidly approaching judgment unless there is a genuine turnaround, isn’t it time for all of us to be courageous and speak with charitable candor? If we demonstrate this kind of bravery, we can see the awakening that we are longing for in all of our hearts.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 2 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just curious...

Which carries more weight with you: what people say, or what God says?

Ever hear people say something like this?

"We are human beings, not human doings. Stop doing, focus on being. God loves you as you are. He's not going to judge you by your deeds because you belong to Him now. Trying to please God is legalism. He just loves you as you are, the way you are!"

Sounds really nice, doesn't it?

I get a warm, fuzzy feeling just contemplating it.

Then I wake up from that daydream and realize it's rubbish.

But I hear it about ten times a day from people who either don't know (or don't care to know) what God actually says.

For example:

"We must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad" (2 Cor. 5:10).

So much for popular opinion.

God says...

1. All of us (this was written to believers) must appear before the judgment seat of Christ.

2. We're going to be held accountable for what we DO, whether good or bad.

So, the way I see it, we have two options...

1. Listen to the opinions of people who don't know what they are talking about (and suffer the consequences), or

2. Listen to God's Word, get wisdom, and be rewarded.

This is just one example of God's Word contradicting popular opinion when it comes to judgment, works, punishments and rewards.

We'll cover many more in the epic conclusion to our teaching series on RIGHTEOUS JUDGMENT happening this week.

Register now to join us LIVE from your computer at one of the times below:

-- Option 1 --
RIGHTEOUS JUDGMENT (Part 5)
THURSDAY, JULY 14 @ 7 PM EDT (New York)
Click here to register for this day and time:
http://gowoa.me/i/PXmn

-- Option 2 --
RIGHTEOUS JUDGMENT (Part 5)
SATURDAY, JULY 16 @ 10 AM EDT (New York)
Click here to register for this day and time:
http://gowoa.me/i/cqkf

As always, the webinars are free, but your support helps keep them going.

I am your brother,

Chip Brogden
http://ChipBrogden.com

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement