Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » YHWH's Plan in Genesis 5

Author Topic: YHWH's Plan in Genesis 5
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 14 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Caretaker:
I saw this a number of years ago and thought, "WOW!!!". Until I went to the Word and actually looked up the meanings.

Chuck Missler is a sensationalist and a self promoter. His definitions of the meaning of the names does not line up with scripture.

http://newprotestants.com/hidden.htm

quote:

As most people who actually take the time to look up the names will quickly see that Missler’s list is somewhat artificial concerning a few of the names. Later we shall review the meanings of the names from various reference sources. Missler explains how he arrived at this conclusion earlier in his article, how he started on this journey is just as important as his conclusions. In his article Missler says:

The Flood Judgment

Methuselah comes from muth, a root that means "death";1 and from shalach, which means to bring, or to send forth. The name Methuselah means, "his death shall bring".2

Methuselah's father was given a prophecy of the coming Great Flood, and was apparently told that as long as his son was alive, the judgment of the flood would be withheld; but as soon as he died, the flood would be brought or sent forth.

(Can you imagine raising a kid like that? Every time the boy caught a cold, the entire neighborhood must have panicked!)

And, indeed, the year that Methuselah died, the flood came.3 It is interesting that Methuselah's life, in effect, was a symbol of God's mercy in forestalling the coming judgment of the flood.

Therefore, it is fitting that his lifetime is the oldest in the Bible, speaking of the extensiveness of God's mercy.

The Other Names

If there is such significance in Methuselah's name, let's examine the other names to see what may lie behind them.
Notice the highlighted section above, anyone with a reasonable understanding of the Bible knows that there is nothing in the Bible to support that conception. It appears to come from the assumption that Methuselah’s name is a prophecy. As we will see later it is doubtful that the meaning of the name even is "his death shall bring". Even assuming as Missler does the exact year of the flood and Methuselah’s death, it is not known if Methuselah died before the flood or in the flood. What we do see in this section of Missler’s article is that he likes to read into the texts his preferred meaning rather then to allow the text to say what it says. In hermeneutics what Missler is doing is called Eisegesis, which is the opposite of correct hermeneutics which is Exegesis. From there Missler intends to carry his eisegesis to the next level. Missler is not alone in giving the Methuselah name as prophecy myth credence. It may be that Missler arrived at his conclusion from reading The Robert Jamieson, A. R. Fausset and David Brown Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible (1871) in the section on Genesis Chapter 5 written by Robert Jamieson the commentary says:

21. Enoch . . . begat Methuselah--This name signifies, "He dieth, and the sending forth," so that Enoch gave it as prophetical of the flood. It is computed that Methuselah died in the year of that catastrophe.

At some level Missler must understand how he is inserting specific meanings into the names to arrive at his conclusion. In his article he says:

A Study of Original Roots

The meaning of proper names can be a difficult pursuit since a direct translation is often not readily available. Even a conventional Hebrew lexicon can prove disappointing. A study of the original roots, however, can yield some fascinating insights.

(A caveat: many study aids, such as a conventional lexicon, can prove rather superficial when dealing with proper nouns. Furthermore, views concerning the meanings of original roots are not free of controversy and variant readings.)

We see from the above that he knows his word meanings are not consistent with the lexicons, why? Because to him the lexicons are superficial, yet he acknowledges controversy and variant readings of the language. So apparently the superficiality is only a gratuitous assertion since if they really were superficial there would be no controversy. The fact is that for some names we just don’t know for certain and for others there are multiple possible meanings. Such an acknowledgement by Missler would destroy his thesis however, so instead he insinuates that the lexicons do not dig deep enough to arrive at the truth which he has found.

Here are some of the readily available definitions for the ten names in question. The reference work most in line with the definitions Missler uses is the book Hitchcock's Bible Names

Adam earthy; red

Seth put; who puts; fixed

Enos mortal man; sick; despaired of; forgetful

Kenan buyer; owner

Mahaleleel praising God

Jared a ruling; commanding; coming down

Enoch dedicated; disciplined

Methusaleh he has sent his death

Lamech poor; made low

Noah repose; consolation

I concur with this assessment.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.raptureforums.com/forum/bible-study-q/1172-hidden-gospel-genesis.html

quote:

God bless you;

A dear Brother in Christ also did some past research on this interpretive theory by Missler, even consulting with a Professor schooled in Hebrew.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This was posted by a Brother in Christ in regards to Missler's Gospel in Genesis:

Missler’s Gospel and alternate translations

If you were to go to "A Hebrew and English Lexicon of the Old Testament" by Francis Brown, S.R. Driver, and Charles A. Briggs and check it also against "A Concise Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament", you fill find that the geneology now reads:

Adam Man
Seth Appointed
Enosh Mortal
Kenan Fixed/Acquired
Mahalalel Praise of God
Jared Come or Go down
Enoch Train/Dedicate
Methuselah Man of the Dart
Lamech Wild man, overthrower
Noah Rest

Anyway, you can find all of this information "A Review of Chuck Missler's Beyond Coincidence" on page 8-11 of the "Answers In Action Journal" (Summer 1997) and it is Vol. 1 No. 3

I presented Chuck Missler's geneology to a professor who teaches Greek and Hermeneutics some years ago and his language was very strong to me and while the professor didn't say anything wrong to me, he disturbed me a great deal because Christians don't always have the ability to check out the facts and recently my new pastor just told it to the congregation in the N.I.V. I had actually tried running it by many Christians in leadership and they fell like ten pins because they weren't experts in language.

"What Missler does not seem to realize is that the word 'et' is one of the most common Hebrew words."-ibid.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +

The False Teachings of Chuck Missler

I know that some of you might like the teachings of Chuck Missler but I think that if there are better Bible teachers out there then I would buy material from the better Bible teachers. The problem is that it is too easy to order material from convenient sources and that it is too easy to have the Bible read to us from someone else than for us to do the math ourselves and if we would do that, we would come up with different conclusions.

Chuck Missler came out of Calvary Chapel and a lot of Calvary Chapels promote his teachings but after review, I do not support the teachings of Chuck Missler.

Chuck Missler promoted an article about the Gospel in the Genealogy of Adam. After showing it to a college professor who teaches Greek and knows Hebrew, he said that some of the words translated are not what Chuck Missler says they are. If you went word by word through Missler's "Gospel" with a couple of dictionaries then you would get alternate meanings and if you have a knowledge of ancient language then you might have other arguments as to what it means but I would be embarrassed in teaching the Geneology of Adam as a "gospel" because it isn't. The problem with tricking people into the kingdom of God is that if you can trick people into something but then they could also be tricked out of the kingdom. I do not support people who manipulate the facts. A better term for that is “Yellow” Journalism.

Another problem with my pastor is the intelligence advice that Missler and others give my pastor. I know a system operator from the 1980's who was involved in the Christian Patriot movement (as Chuck Missler allegedly is) and he believed in making false statements in slandering the government. I challenged him on the falsity of the information but I was then accused of being part of the government "conspiracy" and I was locked out of his board. The system operator use to send me a paper of the news but the Intelligence Advisor that Chuck Missler may have used is nothing more than the Associated Press news with unnamed sources added. It is an example of reading conspiracy theories into the news.

The problems is that my pastor would scare us with news that Chuck Missler heard but no one else heard. In Academic circles that would be called unverified sources or making up the facts.

The last problem is the Y2K scare. When I married my wife, I helped clean out the storage closet in her apartment. I asked,"What are these water bottles doing here?" I was told they were there because of the Y2k scare being promoted in the Churches. Money was being wasted and spent and the end result was that Chuck Missler and other scare mongers were selling books and making profit off of it.

The Christian Research Institute, Answers In Action, Watchman Fellowship and others put out research on Y2K, Chuck Missler and other abusive teachers. What I found out was that Chuck Missler took Bill Gates out of context. Instead of being repentant, Missler and others said they helped fix the Y2K problem because everyone knows that you could buy food and that the lights didn't go out. I have a little knowledge of computes and know that what Missler was teaching couldn't happen.

http://www.watchman.org/expo/17_2news.htm

CALL FOR Y2K PARANOIA APOLOGY
RAYMORE, Mo. (EP) — Christian Y2K alarmists should repent for inaccurate predictions that led to personal debt, church splits and marriage problems, according to Christian computer expert Steve Hewitt, editor of Christian Computing magazine. "While people who followed bad advice need to take some responsibility for their own actions, those that stood in places of leadership need to own up to their mistakes," wrote Hewitt, who called for "accountability from those who painted Y2K to be much more than it ever was." The Y2K alarmism in the Christian community damaged its credibility, Hewitt argues. Rather than providing an opportunity for evangelism, as some suggested, the "sensational stand" by many leaders caused Christians to be ridiculed.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +

I would recommend being cautious with Missler's teachings, and study the Word to see if this be so. Sensationalism sells in the name of Christ, but I would study the Word and do a great deal of research before accepting the validity of a new and/or unusual teaching/discovery.

May our hearts be focussed on our Lord Jesus and His Word our guidebook for Truth.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a link to a discussion forum from almost four years ago:

http://www.raptureforums.com/forum/bible-study-q/1172-hidden-gospel-genesis.html

quote:

Adam

Strong's Number: 0120 Browse Lexicon
Original Word Word Origin
~da from (0119)

Transliterated Word TDNT Entry

'adam TWOT - 25a
Phonetic Spelling Parts of Speech
aw-dawm'
Noun Masculine
Definition
1. man, mankind
a. man, human being
b. man, mankind (much more frequently intended sense in OT)
c. Adam, first man
d. city in Jordan valley

Seth
Strong's Number: 08352 Browse Lexicon
tX from (07896)

Sheth None
shayth
Proper Name Masculine
Definition Seth = "compensation"
1. the 3rd son of Adam by Eve
a. also 'Sheth'

Enosh

Strong's Number: 0583 Browse Lexicon
Xwna the same as (0582)

'Enowsh None
en-ohsh'
Proper Name Masculine
Definition Enos = "man"
1. son of Seth

Kenan
Strong's Number: 07018 Browse Lexicon
!nyq from the same as (07064)

Qeynan None
kay-nawn'
Proper Name Masculine
Definition Kenan = "possession"
1. son of Enosh and father of Mahalaleel
a. also 'Cainan'

Mahelalel
Mahalaleel
Strong's Number: 04111 Browse Lexicon
lallhm from (04110) and (0410)

Mahalal'el None
mah-hal-al-ale'
Proper Name Masculine
Definition Mahalaleel = "praise of God"
1. son of Cainan and the 4th in descent from Adam in the line of Seth
2. a descendant of Perez, the son of Judah

Jared
Strong's Number: 03382 Browse Lexicon
dry from (03381)

Yered None
yeh'-red
Proper Name Masculine
Definition Jered or Jared = "descent"
1. son of Mahalaleel and father of Enoch in the 4th generation from Seth
2. a descendant of Judah and father of Gedor

Enoch
Strong's Number: 02585 Browse Lexicon
$wnx from (02596)

Chanowk None
khan-oke'

Definition n pr m Enoch = "dedicated"
1. eldest son of Cain
2. son of Jared and father of Methuselah whom God took home to heaven without dying n pr loc
3. the city which Cain built and named after himself n pr m Hanoch = "dedicated"
4. a son of Midian, the third child
5. the eldest son of Reuben

Methuselah
Strong's Number: 04968 Browse Lexicon
xlXwtm from (04962) and (07973)

M@thuwshelach None
meth-oo-sheh'-lakh
Proper Name Masculine
Definition Methuselah = "man of the dart"
1. son of Enoch, 6th in descent from Seth, and father of Lamech

Lamech
Strong's Number: 03929 Browse Lexicon
$ml from an unused root of uncertain meaning

Lemek None
leh'-mek
Proper Name Masculine
Definition Lamech = "powerful"
1. the 5th lineal descendant from Cain, husband of Adah and Zillah, father of sons, Jabal, Jubal, and Tubal-cain, and daughter, Naamah
2. father of Noah

Noah
Strong's Number: 05146 Browse Lexicon
xn the same as (05118)

Noach TWOT - 1323b
no'-akh
Proper Name Masculine
Definition Noah = "rest"
1. son of Lamech, father of Shem, Ham, and Japheth; builder of the ark which saved his family from the destruction of the world which God sent on the world by the flood; became the new seminal head of mankind because his family were the only survivors of the flood

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

For myself I think I would lay this theory aside as it does not appear to have the scriptural credibility. We do not want to witness to something and then have the one we witnessed to return with strong evidence to the contrary.

We do not need hidden messages to understand and receive the resurrected Christ. There will be nothing hidden when He returns for every eye shall see and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw this a number of years ago and thought, "WOW!!!". Until I went to the Word and actually looked up the meanings.

Chuck Missler is a sensationalist and a self promoter. His definitions of the meaning of the names does not line up with scripture.

http://newprotestants.com/hidden.htm

quote:

As most people who actually take the time to look up the names will quickly see that Missler’s list is somewhat artificial concerning a few of the names. Later we shall review the meanings of the names from various reference sources. Missler explains how he arrived at this conclusion earlier in his article, how he started on this journey is just as important as his conclusions. In his article Missler says:

The Flood Judgment

Methuselah comes from muth, a root that means "death";1 and from shalach, which means to bring, or to send forth. The name Methuselah means, "his death shall bring".2

Methuselah's father was given a prophecy of the coming Great Flood, and was apparently told that as long as his son was alive, the judgment of the flood would be withheld; but as soon as he died, the flood would be brought or sent forth.

(Can you imagine raising a kid like that? Every time the boy caught a cold, the entire neighborhood must have panicked!)

And, indeed, the year that Methuselah died, the flood came.3 It is interesting that Methuselah's life, in effect, was a symbol of God's mercy in forestalling the coming judgment of the flood.

Therefore, it is fitting that his lifetime is the oldest in the Bible, speaking of the extensiveness of God's mercy.

The Other Names

If there is such significance in Methuselah's name, let's examine the other names to see what may lie behind them.
Notice the highlighted section above, anyone with a reasonable understanding of the Bible knows that there is nothing in the Bible to support that conception. It appears to come from the assumption that Methuselah’s name is a prophecy. As we will see later it is doubtful that the meaning of the name even is "his death shall bring". Even assuming as Missler does the exact year of the flood and Methuselah’s death, it is not known if Methuselah died before the flood or in the flood. What we do see in this section of Missler’s article is that he likes to read into the texts his preferred meaning rather then to allow the text to say what it says. In hermeneutics what Missler is doing is called Eisegesis, which is the opposite of correct hermeneutics which is Exegesis. From there Missler intends to carry his eisegesis to the next level. Missler is not alone in giving the Methuselah name as prophecy myth credence. It may be that Missler arrived at his conclusion from reading The Robert Jamieson, A. R. Fausset and David Brown Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible (1871) in the section on Genesis Chapter 5 written by Robert Jamieson the commentary says:

21. Enoch . . . begat Methuselah--This name signifies, "He dieth, and the sending forth," so that Enoch gave it as prophetical of the flood. It is computed that Methuselah died in the year of that catastrophe.

At some level Missler must understand how he is inserting specific meanings into the names to arrive at his conclusion. In his article he says:

A Study of Original Roots

The meaning of proper names can be a difficult pursuit since a direct translation is often not readily available. Even a conventional Hebrew lexicon can prove disappointing. A study of the original roots, however, can yield some fascinating insights.

(A caveat: many study aids, such as a conventional lexicon, can prove rather superficial when dealing with proper nouns. Furthermore, views concerning the meanings of original roots are not free of controversy and variant readings.)

We see from the above that he knows his word meanings are not consistent with the lexicons, why? Because to him the lexicons are superficial, yet he acknowledges controversy and variant readings of the language. So apparently the superficiality is only a gratuitous assertion since if they really were superficial there would be no controversy. The fact is that for some names we just don’t know for certain and for others there are multiple possible meanings. Such an acknowledgement by Missler would destroy his thesis however, so instead he insinuates that the lexicons do not dig deep enough to arrive at the truth which he has found.

Here are some of the readily available definitions for the ten names in question. The reference work most in line with the definitions Missler uses is the book Hitchcock's Bible Names

Adam earthy; red

Seth put; who puts; fixed

Enos mortal man; sick; despaired of; forgetful

Kenan buyer; owner

Mahaleleel praising God

Jared a ruling; commanding; coming down

Enoch dedicated; disciplined

Methusaleh he has sent his death

Lamech poor; made low

Noah repose; consolation

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:

John Hale
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man is appointed mortal sorrow but the blessed God shall come down teaching his death shall bring the despairing comfort.

This sentence is the names of the Messianic line from Adam to Noah.

Video did not come up when I clicked on the link you provided. So I have to assume it's Chuck Missler's work. He fudged in a couple of places... Lamek for example. I traced it down to Le Maqaq in Hebrew so it still works. Tried to share it with CM and his screener just patted me on the head so to speak.

But yeah, it's one of many evidences that the Bible was not imagined or written by mere mortal men... we haven't the brain capacity or the ability to predict the future with 100% accuracy down to the smallest detail.

Missler also did a series on the heptatic structure of the Bible. Good stuff.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaaosPgQJXE

--------------------
The HEART of the issue is truly the issue of the HEART!
John 3:3;Mark 8:34-38;James 1:27

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement