Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » WHAT was Peter thinking???

Author Topic: WHAT was Peter thinking???
jean123
Advanced Member
Member # 7855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just love Jesus more and more everyday!
CAROL--AMEN!!

Posts: 38 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MentorsRiddle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen, Carol!

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
kneeling down I kiss your feet,
Grace abounds upon me now,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.
The gift of God dwells within,
To this love I now give in.

Posts: 1337 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
No matter how far into death (sin) we are, the Lord can revive us and restore our life!

[rapture]

The experience of Lazarus is a good illustration of what happens to a sinner when he trusts the Saviour (Eph. 2:1-10). Lazarus was dead, and all sinners are dead. He was decayed, because death and decay go together. All lost people are spiritually dead, but some are more “decayed” than others. No one can be “more dead” than another.

Lazarus was raised from the dead by the power of God, and all who trust Christ have been given new life and lifted out of the graveyard of sin (see John 5:24). Lazarus was set free from the graveclothes (see Col. 3:1ff) and given new liberty. You find him seated with Christ at the table (John 12:2), and all believers are “seated with Christ” in heavenly places (Eph. 2:6), enjoying spiritual food and fellowship.

(Wiersbe)

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John 11

38 Jesus therefore again groaning in himself comes to the grave. It was a cave, and a stone lay upon it.

39 Then Jesus said, Take away the stone. But Martha, the sister of him who was dead, said to him, Lord, by this time he stinks: for he has been dead four days.

40 Then Jesus said to her, Did I not say to you, that, if you would believe, you should see the glory of God?

Sometime back I participated in a prison ministry in which I exchanged letters with a convicted murderer. He told me that [after 3 days, the brain turn to grey mush. So not only did he stink by then, his brain was mush too. That's what I call a miracle. And I'll bet Lazarus smelled good after it too!

John 11
43 And when He {Jesus} had thus spoken, He cried with a loud voice, "Lazarus, come forth!"

44 And he who was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes; and his face was bound about with a napkin. Then Jesus said to them, Loose him, and let him go.

John 12
3 Then took Mary a pound of ointment of spikenard, very costly, and anointed the feet of Jesus and wiped his feet with her hair: and the house was filled with the odor of the ointment.

love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jean123:
I believe every word in the bible!You have to have faith!In tha past year,I have lost my husband,home,my job and my dad.My son has been in the hospitial for 3 weeks.My mom is grieving(she is not saved).And I have had many trails.But through it ALL,JESUS has provide me everything I need.I have not had to beg for anything.That is because Jesus will take care of it. I beleive it!
Anything is possible with the Lord!He also has heal me many times! You have to also praise HIM always!Even through the trails!

What a wonderful testimony jean123. You are an inspiration to me.

"We must consider that as far as we know, there are some opportunities for pleasing God that we will only have while present in these bodies. When we get to heaven, there will be no more need for faith, no more need for endurance through trials, no more need for courage and boldness in telling others about Jesus. Now, while we are present in these bodies, is our only opportunity in all eternity to please God in these areas." (David Guzik)

I sought the Lord and He answered me out of all my fears (Psalm 34)

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean123
Advanced Member
Member # 7855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MENTOR RIDDLE
AMEN!

Posts: 38 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MentorsRiddle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
MentorsRiddle wrote
quote:
Yeah??? And what about that other "wild and crazy" story, the one out this dead dude being in the grave for 4 days already and this lady saying to Jesus in a 1611 Victoriann dialect, "Lord, by now he stinketh"??? That's a crazy story right there too ...

love, Eden

I think that’s a good story too.

No matter how far into death (sin) we are, the Lord can revive us and restore our life!

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.

Posts: 1337 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean123
Advanced Member
Member # 7855

Icon 10 posted      Profile for jean123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe every word in the bible!You have to have faith!In tha past year,I have lost my husband,home,my job and my dad.My son has been in the hospitial for 3 weeks.My mom is grieving(she is not saved).And I have had many trails.But through it ALL,JESUS has provide me everything I need.I have not had to beg for anything.That is because Jesus will take care of it. I beleive it!
Anything is possible with the Lord!He also has heal me many times! You have to also praise HIM always!Even through the trails!

Eden
unregistered

MentorsRiddle wrote
quote:
I've always enjoyed that particular story.
Yeah??? And what about that other "wild and crazy" story, the one out this dead dude being in the grave for 4 days already and this lady saying to Jesus in a 1611 Victoriann dialect, "Lord, by now he stinketh"??? That's a crazy story right there too ...

love, Eden

Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Found in Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
please keep your daytime job Eden [Smile]

--------------------
~To Him That is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy...to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.~ Jude 24

Posts: 1503 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

In Switzerland they wear snowshoes to stay on top of the snow without sinking into the snow. Peter was probably wearing his watershoes. But when the heavy waves punctured a hole in his favorite watershoes, he began to sink. It all makes sense to me. (Thank God for scientific explanations ... phew! ... wipes forehead ...)

love, Eden

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good points!

Once Jesus has given the command, walking on water is simply a matter of trusting the One who has performed so many miracles in the past. Peter's failure comes as he observes the wind (14:30), looking to his situation rather than to God's power that is sustaining him. Still, Peter knows by this point whom to cry out to; his feeble attempt to walk on water is no more feeble than our first attempts to walk on land. Our faith may be more infantile than Peter's if we have never even tried to step out in obedience to Jesus' commands or direction for our lives ; many of us have less practice walking in faith than two-year-olds have walking physically.

It is important to note that while Jesus is disappointed with Peter's inadequate faith, Peter has acted in greater faith than the other disciples-he is learning. Faith cannot be worked up by formulas or emotion, but it grows through various tests as we continue to trust our Lord and he continues to teach us. Faith grows out of a relationship with the Person of Jesus, and in no other way.

(BibleGateway Commentary)

Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe Peter had faith, but when he felt the waves around him, he took his eyes off Jesus and fear set it. I think Peter was braver then the others who did not get out of the boat at all. It is better to try and fail then to never try at all.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Found in Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1 Cor 1:27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; 28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: 29 That no flesh should glory in his presence. 30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: 31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

1:26-31 God did not choose philosophers, nor orators, nor statesmen, nor men of wealth, and power, and interest in the world, to publish the gospel of grace and peace. He best judges what men and what measures serve the purposes of his glory. Though not many noble are usually called by Divine grace, there have been some such in every age, who have not been ashamed of the gospel of Christ; and persons of every rank stand in need of pardoning grace. Often, a humble Christian, though poor as to this world, has more true knowledge of the gospel, than those who have made the letter of Scripture the study of their lives, but who have studied it rather as the witness of men, than as the word of God. And even young children have gained such knowledge of Divine truth as to silence infidels. The reason is, they are taught of God; the design is, that no flesh should glory in his presence. ~Matthew Henry

--------------------
~To Him That is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy...to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.~ Jude 24

Posts: 1503 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

I’ve always liked to think it meant: when Christ calls to you and you believe in him, you can accomplish the impossible – that is to say God will accomplish the impossible through you.

But, when you faith falters and you have your doubts in the power of God you will sink below the waves.

I've always enjoied that particular story. [Smile]

Thanks for posting it.

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Eden
unregistered

Hi, Carol Swenson, let me know when you'll be getting out of the boat ...

I tend to be more like these fellows:

Numbers 17:12
And the children of Israel spoke to Moses, saying, Look, we die, we perish, we all perish!

And also like these fellows when I was laid off on January 1 and I'm still unemployed on January 10 and the rent is due on January 31:

Mark 4:38
And He {Jesus} was in the rear part of the ship, asleep on a pillow and they {the disciples] woke Him up and said to Him, Master, don't You care that we perish?

Luke 8:24
... Master, master, we perish! Then He arose and rebuked the wind and the raging of the water; and they ceased and there was a calm.

But, let me know when you'll be getting out of the boat, Carol Swenson, there she goes, "walking on the water! ... well, I'll be!!"

love, Eden

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
“Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.”

“Come,” he said. Then Peter… walked on the water and came toward Jesus.’
Matthew 14:28,29 NIV

Peter asked. He asked Christ to call him out. Then, he waited for the Lord’s answer before getting out of the boat. Next, he obeyed when Christ said “Come.”

Everything we read in the bible has application to our daily life. All scripture is given for our instruction, admonition and growth in righteousness. No less this story of Peter. We Christians often get ourselves in trouble in one of two ways: We are presumptuous in our faith and try to get out of the boat before God has called us, or we are not trusting Him enough to ask and leave the boat when He calls.

Eden
unregistered

WHAT was Peter thinking when he decided that he could "walk on water". I mean, only an IDIOT would think that he could "walk on water"??? And he was not even a city slicker, if anyone knew that water cannot be walked on, it was fisherman Peter.

Matthew 14
24 But the ship was now in the midst of the sea, tossed with waves: for the wind was contrary.

25 And in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went to them, walking on the sea.

26 And when the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, It is a spirit; and they cried out for fear.

27 But straightway Jesus sppke to them, saying, Be of good cheer; it is Me; don't be afraid.

28 Then Peter said, Lord, if it be you, bid me to come to you on the water.

29 And He said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus.

I mean, for Peter to think that "anyone can walk on the water" that's almost as crazy as thinking that someone can "raise from the dead"!

Acts 4:10
Be it known to you all and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by Him does this man stand here before you whole.

But then, there was also Lazarus ...

John 12:1
Then Jesus six days before the passover came to Bethany, where Lazarus was, who had been dead, whom He raised from the dead.

WHAT on earth was Peter thinking??? For a fisherman to walk on water? I guess when we see Jesus do these things, it gives some of us some "crazy ideas" .... [Bible]

love, Eden

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement