Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Matthew 12:7

Author Topic: Matthew 12:7
Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Icon 21 posted      Profile for Found in Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sharp as tacks you all are! [Big Grin]

--------------------
~To Him That is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy...to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.~ Jude 24

Posts: 1503 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MentorsRiddle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Context is critical and it is when people fail to analyze the context that wrong conclusions are drawn.
Perfectly written and said! [Big Grin]

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
kneeling down I kiss your feet,
Grace abounds upon me now,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.
The gift of God dwells within,
To this love I now give in.

Posts: 1337 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Copper25
Advanced Member
Member # 7464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Copper25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My two cents, when someone thinks or draws a conclusion about a verse that "contradicts" other scripture, usually that means that they failed to examine the context closely.

Example

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

What does this mean people say? When analyzing, looking carefully at the next verses inicate freedom from bondage to sin.

John 8:31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

Jonh 8:33 They answered him, We be Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free?

John 8:34 Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin

Context is critical and it is when people fail to analyze the context that wrong conclusions are drawn. Frankly, a little hermeneutics goes a long way. There we have it ladies and gentleman. Thank you and good night.

--------------------
Isaiah 40:6) The voice said, Cry. And he said, What shall I cry? All flesh is grass, and all the goodliness thereof is as the flower of the field

Posts: 262 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MentorsRiddle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Does Matthew 12:7 (I desire mercy, not sacrifice) mean that Jesus' sacrifice is not needed?
NO! Jesus’ sacrifice was needed – his sacrifice is the only thing that allows us, humanity, to be redeemed.

I know this post is about people misunderstanding what the biblical teachings are about – but it just seems to me that sometimes people just look for things to be contradictory so they can “prove” the bible wrong and justify their wicked hearts.

For after all, if the bible is wrong then it is ok to sin.

I laugh at people who think the bible contradicts it’s self.

The bible has been around for a very, very, very long time and people would have found all the flaws by now.

But they haven’t found any – none that can’t be logically explained.

Good Post and Thank You for Sharing.

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
kneeling down I kiss your feet,
Grace abounds upon me now,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.
The gift of God dwells within,
To this love I now give in.

Posts: 1337 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WHY DID JESUS HAVE TO DIE? / Mark 15:39

The Problem

We have all done things that are wrong, and we have failed to obey God’s laws. Because of this, we have been separated from God our Creator. Separation from God is death; but, by ourselves, we can do nothing to become united with God.

Why Jesus Could Help

Jesus was not only a man; he was God’s unique Son. Because Jesus never disobeyed God and never sinned, only he can bridge the gap between the sinless God and sinful mankind.

The Solution

Jesus freely offered his life for us, dying on the cross in our place, taking all our wrongdoing upon himself, and saving us from the consequences of sin—including God’s judgment and death.

The Results

Jesus took our past, present, and future sins upon himself so that we could have new life. Because all our wrongdoing is forgiven, we are reconciled to God. Furthermore, Jesus' resurrection from the dead is the proof that his substitutionary sacrifice on the cross was acceptable to God, and his resurrection has become the source of new life for whoever believes that Jesus is the Son of God. All who believe in him may have this new life and live it in union with him.

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Romans 12
1I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

2And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Matthew 12:3 - 8 (NLT)
3Jesus said to them, “Haven’t you read in the Scriptures what David did when he and his companions were hungry? 4He went into the house of God, and they broke the law by eating the sacred loaves of bread that only the priests are allowed to eat. 5And haven’t you read in the law of Moses that the priests on duty in the Temple may work on the Sabbath? 6I tell you, there is one here who is even greater than the Temple! 7But you would not have condemned my innocent disciples if you knew the meaning of this Scripture : ‘I want you to show mercy, not offer sacrifices.’ 8For the Son of Man is Lord, even over the Sabbath!”

The quotation is from Hosea 6:6, one that Jesus had already quoted (Matt. 9:13). The Sabbath law was given to Israel as a mark of her relationship to God (Ex. 20:9-11; 31:13-17; Neh. 9:12-15). But it was also an act of mercy for both man and beast, to give them needed rest each week. Any religious law that is contrary to mercy and the care of nature should be looked on with suspicion. God wants mercy, not religious sacrifice. He wants love, not legalism. The Pharisees who sacrificed to obey their Sabbath laws thought they were serving God. When they accused Christ and His disciples, they thought they were defending God. How like religious legalists today!

Note that Jesus appealed to prophet, priest, and king; for He is Prophet, Priest, and King . Note too the three “greater” statements that He made: as the Priest, He is “greater than the temple” (Matt. 12:6); as Prophet, He is “greater than Jonah” (Matt. 12:41); and as King, He is “greater than Solomon” (Matt. 12:42).

In declaring Himself “Lord of the Sabbath,” Jesus was actually affirming equality with God; for God had established the Sabbath (Gen. 2:1-3).

(Wiersbe)

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Found in Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does Matthew 12:7 (I desire mercy, not sacrifice) mean that Jesus' sacrifice is not needed?

Question:

How can you explain Matthew 12:7? Doesnt it say that God offers mercy and not sacrifice? How, then, can Jesus be the Sacrifice?
Answer: As a general rule, when one finds what might appear to be a contradiction in the Bible, the first thing to do is to look at the context of the passage in question. In this case, it is a good idea to go to the passage Jesus is quoting from. This is Hosea 6:6. In Hosea, God is telling his people that what he desires is not for them to simply go through a ritual sacrifice without the heart and the faith which is what he really wants. In other words, although God clearly wanted the Jews to make the sacrifices he had commanded, if they simply went through the motions but did not give God true devotion and faith, then the sacrifices, by themselves, meant nothing. If we go to church and do all the right things, but do not forgive our brother, then it is all meaningless and we are not going to be saved (Matthew 18:21-35, especially v. 35). Jesus sacrifice is not sufficient if we do not respond with the right heart, and going through a ritual does not solve the problem. The idea is also found in several other Old Testament passages. The most well known is Psalms 51:16. "You desire mercy, not sacrifice, or I would bring it; you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings." One could argue that David is exaggerating here. In other words, there is no question that God wanted the Jews to make sacrifices and to bring burnt offerings. This was commanded by God in Leviticus. David is pouring out his emotions here. Let us not take him literally. Let us not take Jesus literally in Matthew 12:7 or Hosea literally in Hosea 6:6. Like David says in Psalms 51:17,
"The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise." In other words, although God clearly commanded and wanted sacrifices from the Jews, and although obviously no one is saved at the present time without the sacrifice of Jesus, what God wants from us is not to say the right words and do the right actions, but to give him our hearts, our faith and to treat others with love and forgiveness, as God treated us. Another example is Jeremiah 6:20 in which God says to his people that their burnt offerings are not acceptable--that they do not please him. Ritual without the right heart is not only not pleasing to God, it makes him angry. The sacrifice is not the problem. Indeed, "without the shedding of blood, there is no forgiveness." (Hebrews 9:22), but this is not the subject of Matthew 12:7, Hosea 6:6, Psalm 51, Jeremiah 6:20 and many similar passages. So, Matthew 12:7 is definitely not teaching that the sacrifice of Jesus is not important or necessary. That is not what Jesus is talking about. He is talking about what God wants from us, which is not legalistic obedience, but a contrite heart and to treat others as he treats us. John Oakes

--------------------
~To Him That is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy...to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.~ Jude 24

Posts: 1503 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement