Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » DISCIPLES

Author Topic: DISCIPLES
bluefrog
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the spelling advise. I have never been the goodest speller for sure.

The way I understand it is that Disciples and Apostles are one in the same. Both are learning and sent out representing the one teaching him.
In the bible those who were disciples became apostles after the ascention. Paul taught young men and then sent them out to pass the word on.
In either case they are not to be considered religious elete. Mt 23 8:-12

As long as you are a student of the word I suppose you can call yourself either.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Found in Him wrote[quote]What is your take on "Apostles"?

Strong's Concordance

apostles

Luk 22:14 And 2532 when 3753 the hour 5610 was come 1096 , he sat down 377 , and 2532 the twelve 1427 apostles 652 with 4862 him 846.

From Matthew 10:2 to Revelation 21:14, the word is always apostles 652, with one exception when false apostles are mentioned:

2Cr 11:13 For 1063 such 5108 [are] false apostles 5570, deceitful 1386 workers 2040, transforming themselves 3345 into 1519 the apostles 652 of Christ 5547.

apostles 652

652 apostolos; a delegate; specially, an ambassador of the Gospel; officially a commissioner of Christ ("apostle") (with miraculous powers):--apostle, messenger, he that is sent.

false apostles 5570

5570 PSEUDapostolos; a spurious apostle, i.e. pretended preacher:--false teacher.

Regarding "apostles 652", this is just ONE of the functions that a Christian may be chosen for by the Lord:

1 Corinthians 12:28 And God has set some in the church, first APOSTLES 652, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

So each Christian is clearly called to be a "disciple" or "mathetes" or "learner", while, in addition, any given Christian may further be called to be an "apostle" or "delegated one" on behalf of Christ, or be called to one of the other functions instead mentioned in 1 Cor. 12:28.

love, Eden

Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bluefrog wrote
quote:
JOHN 8:31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on Him, If ye continue in My word, then are ye My disciples indeed;

FYI, the word "disciple" means Learner or Student. It doesn't appear in the Epistles of the New Testament. In the New Testament the word used is Apostles after Jesus ascended to heaven.

disciples

Strong's Concordance

Jhn 8:31 Then 3767 said 3004 Jesus 2424 to 4314 those Jews 2453 which 3588 believed 4100 on him 846, If 1437 ye 5210 continue 3306 in 1722 my 1699 word 3056, [THEN] ARE YOU MY disciples 3101 indeed 230.

Mat 8:23 And 2532 when he 846 was entered 1684 into 1519 a ship 4143, his 846 disciples 3101 followed 190 him 846.

3101 mathetes; a learner, i.e. pupil:--disciple.

So bluefrog said[quote]FYI, the word "disciple" means Learner or Student. It doesn't appear in the Epistles of the New Testament. In the New Testament the word used is Apostles after Jesus ascended to heaven.

That was good, bluefrog. From the above it shows that Jesus asked us to be "disciples" or "mathetes" or "learners" or "good students".

I liked the idea that the word "disciple" or "mathetes" does not occur in the Epistles and ONLY occurs between Matthew 5:1 and Acts 21:16, and your comment that thereafter the word is "apostles".

Where does the word "apostles" begin, bluefrog?

Jesus was therefore not necessarily asking us to be "apostles", but was asking us to be "disciples" or "mathetes" or "learners".

And I think that is important because there are many Christians, myself included, who think or have thought that, Oh, to be a disciple means, as oneinchrist would might say, "discipling someone", but that would be a "teacher" and NOT a "mathetes".

love, Eden
"BTW, fix the spelling, DISIPLES should be DISCIPLES in your Topic title"

Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Found in Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bluefrog....

quote:

So, which do you want to be, a disciple or an apostle ? Whichever, you are a follower student, a learner, an immitation of your leader, not just a note taker, or a pew Lou.
You are a go getter.

Well, I want to be a disciple. I love to eat The word of God. Would it be safe to say that there is a heavier responsibility and price to pay on Apostles? Also, this is a question that I am wondering about a few modern day Ministers-- are there modern day apostles? I see a few that I wonder about-- But I always look for self denial in them-- you know what I mean? Who only minister in a gift and giving God all glory for what is done. If I don't see Jesus in the center of all that is said and done-- I get out!

You are better with words than me-- what's your take on this Apostle thing?

--------------------
~To Him That is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy...to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.~ Jude 24

Posts: 1503 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Found in Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aaaaaaaaaamen bluefrog!

Good wisdom, taken to heart!

--------------------
~To Him That is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy...to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.~ Jude 24

Posts: 1503 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Beauty of Holiness777
Advanced Member
Member # 7380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Beauty of Holiness777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well said bluefrog.

--------------------
In God I'am Complete.
I am a "Spiritual Being" living in a physical body.
{Prayer - a force that reaches people and places when we can't}

Posts: 192 | From: God's Universe | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluefrog
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JOHN 8:31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on Him, If ye continue in My word, then are ye My disciples indeed;

FYI, the word "disciple" means Learner or Student. It doesn't appear in the Epistles of the New Testament. In the New Testament the word used is Apostles after Jesus ascended to heaven.

In Judaism the teachers were called Rabbis who attracted disciples. Luke 6:40 The disciple is not above his master; but every one that is perfect shall be as his master.

Acts 6:1 And in those days, when the number of the disciples was multiplied, there arose a murmuring of the Grecians against the Hebrews, because their widows were neglected in the daily ministration.

So, which do you want to be, a disciple or an apostle ? Whichever, you are a follower student, a learner, an immitation of your leader, not just a note taker, or a pew Lou.
You are a go getter.

Acts 20:29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in amoung you, not sparing the flock. OH OHHHhh ! (First he's a serpent now a wolf.)

SIDE NOTES; Communion is Remembering

Baptism is Beginning

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement