Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » the great transgression

Author Topic: the great transgression
bluefrog
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HEY EDEN...You sure can pick em', LOL

Well, here goes...The folks in the OT worshipped God. They wanted to please Him and go to heaven.
That is why you see this in the OT. You knew that though. The reason that so many seem to have a bleak future for heaven is that they violated the devine law..They Transgressed.

When he asks Keep back thy servant also from presumptious sins it means presumptious men.

He says, Don't let them (those guys)have dominion over me means don't let them rule like the sun and moon rules the day and night.

Then he said: I'll be a good boy and won't violate the great devine law (the great transgression)

If interested, some related subject scriptures are Gen 20:6, 22:12, 39:9, 1 Sam 25:39, Gen 1:8, Ps 136:8,9. This one was a real brain teaser, but that's good. Hope it helps.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glory belongs to Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glory belongs to Him     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great reply BecauseHelives!

--------------------
If you ever get so hungry for God that you are in pursuit of Him, He will do things for you that He won't do for anybody else.

Posts: 112 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 15 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Such was the prayer of the "man after God's own heart."

Did holy David need to pray thus?

How needful, then, must such a prayer be for us babes in grace!

It is as if he said, "Keep me back, or I shall rush headlong over the precipice of sin." Our evil nature, like an ill-tempered horse, is apt to run away. May the grace of God put the bridle
upon it, and hold it in, that it rush not into mischief.

What might not the best of us do if it were not for the checks which the Lord sets upon us both in providence and in grace!

The psalmist's prayer is directed against the worst form of sin--that which is done with
deliberation and willfulness.

Even the holiest need to be "kept back" from the vilest transgressions.

It is a solemn thing to find the apostle Paul
warning saints against the most loathsome sins.

"Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate
affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry."

What! do saints want warning against such sins as these?

Yes, they do.

The whitest robes, unless their purity be preserved by divine grace, will be defiled by the blackest spots.

Experienced Christian, boast not in your experience; you will trip yet if you look away from him who is able to keep you from falling. Ye whose love is fervent, whose faith is constant, whose hopes are bright, say not, "We shall
never sin," but rather cry, "Lead us not into temptation."

There is enough tinder in the heart of the best of men to light a fire that shall burn to the lowest hell, unless God shall quench the sparks as they fall.

Who would have dreamed that righteous Lot could be found drunken, and committing uncleanness?

Hazael said, "Is thy servant a dog, that he should do this thing?" and we are very apt to use the same self-righteous question.

May infinite wisdom cure us of the madness of
self-confidence.

Charles H. Spurgeon, Morning and Evening,

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Found in Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you read Micah 1 like I stated you will have your answer [Wink]

--------------------
~To Him That is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy...to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.~ Jude 24

Posts: 1503 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Found in Him wrote about the great trangresssion that it was
quote:
willful sin of rejecting God's offer of salvation. Also called Jacob's transgression in Micah 1.
Since the great transgression is spoken of in the book of Psalms in the Old Testament, in what way were the Israelites "rejecting God's offer of salvation"?

I know that the Israelites became indifferent to the LORD and that they also were not interested in bringing forth the fruits of righteousness in the LORD, but was that "rejecting God's offer of salvation"?

Psalm 19:13
Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins, let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression.

Okay, so what are presumptuous sins exactly?

Srong's Concordance (not for bluefrog)

Psalm 19:13 Keep back 2820 thy servant 5650 also from presumptuous 2086 [sins]; let them not have dominion 4910 over me: then shall I be upright 8552, and I shall be innocent 5352 from the great 7227 transgression 6588.

2086 zed; arrogant:--presumptuous, proud.

7227 rab; abundant (in quantity, size, age, number, rank, quality):--(in) abound(-undance, -ant, -antly), captain, elder, enough, exceedingly, full, great(-ly, man, one), increase, long (enough, (time)), (do, have) many(-ifold, things, a time), ((ship-))master, mighty, more, (too, very) much, multiply(-tude), officer, often(-times), plenteous, populous, prince, process (of time), suffice(-lent).

6588 pesha; a revolt (national, moral or religious):--rebellion, sin, transgression, trespass.

Uhh,... which sin is NOT presumptuous?

love, Eden

Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Found in Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
willful sin of rejecting God's offer of salvation. Also called Jacobs transgression in Micah 1.

--------------------
~To Him That is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy...to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.~ Jude 24

Posts: 1503 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Psalm 19:13
Keep back your servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright and I shall be innocent from the great transgression.

What is the great transgression?

love, Eden

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement