Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Is there such a thing as luck? Or is God is in control...

Author Topic: Is there such a thing as luck? Or is God is in control...
bluefrog
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The word Luck is a word that we drummed up to say that something happened just because it did and if it was good I am happy and that is Luck.

What is wrong with luck ? It's just a circumstance. Even more so I guess we also have bad luck and on Hee Haw, they have no luck at all.

As for dominion..where did you get the idea that after the fall God took it away from us until Jesus came? I don't think so. I have never read that it was taken away.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have found myself in my Christian walk avoiding the use of the word "luck" in my conversation.

But if I purposely avoid the word "luck", am I not also saying that "God is in control"?

And then I have to ask what Mike Murdock said, "If God is in control, why do we prosecute the rapist", because if God is in control, "God caused the man to be a rapist", right?

So the truth is probably more twofold. God IS in control of the earth and God CAN destroy the earth at any time.

On the other hand, God gave dominion over the earth to the first Adam, but Adam then forfeited that dominion by giving it to Satan.

And then Jesus, the second and also last Adam, restored that dominion to Jesus and to us bornagain Christians.

But there are a lot of people who are not bornagain Christians who are free-running entities on the earth and who can mostly do what they want to do if they have the means to do it, and God does NOT control their daily actions in the sense that "God is in control".

It is not that God "cannot control them", it is that God "let's them be who they want to be" so that they can go to their own ruin from their own actions.

Because the Bible says that the man is snared by his own wickedness:

Proverbs 12:13
The wicked is snared by the transgression of his lips: but the just shall come out of trouble.

So I do think that God is allowing unsaved earthlings to "blindly run to their own end", so that God would be able to say:

Mark 13:22
For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect.

1 Peter 4:18
And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?

So it cannot be that God is in control in the sense of directing every move we people make, because otherwise God could not guide my steps:

Luke 1:79
To give light to them that sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace.

Guiding my feet is not the same as being in control of my feet, is it?

So if we want to, we can still go do what WE want to, and God does NOT stop us from being who we want to be (other than that our own wickedness ensares us).

So what about luck? Is there such a thing as luck? [happyhappy]

I think that in the unsaved world, there is such a thing as luck, but I also think that in the bornagain world, there can be a lot less luck and a lot more blessing and direct favor, by God.

Psalm 5:12
For You, LORD, will bless the righteous; with favor will You compass him as with a shield.

Job 10:12
You have granted me life and favor, and Your visitation has preserved my spirit.

So I do think there is luck in the unsaved world, and there is also luck in the Christian world, and then there is also direct favor from God which does not involve luck, but favor, i.e, God intervening in current reality on my behalf, as in "God is in control then".

love, Eden
"ah, what a blessing"

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement