Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Who doeth the works?

Author Topic: Who doeth the works?
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now, maybe I just shouldn't speak, and let people find out on their own. But who wants to let people walk right past the candy store because they were talking on their cell phone.

So you see how this works? If I did that there will be people who will say, "Why didn't you tell us!" So one is wrong either way. Therefore I will 'err' in favor of ADDRESSING.

Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So how does one 'speak the truth in love,' without offending anyone? He cannot. So all he can do is tell it, and let the hearer respond as he or she will. The devil may cause it to sound like a personal attack, when it is a constructive criticism. It takes maturity on the part of the hearer to either accept, or rebutt. But this one knows no other way to 'say' it, except to put it out there and let it be challenged. For he is not afraid for it to be challenged, or he would just crawl in a hole and stay there. But I do consider constantly, how to say what needs to be said. However, it can only be stated like it is. For to do otherwise would be to water it down.
Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Does that sound condescending? People sometimes hear my comments as condescending. But I am not 'up there'. I am way down here. And the only way not to offend some is simply not to speak. I cannot however, do that. I cannot accomodate everyone.

Anyway, they who will not listen have a choice! And here is a vital point. People struggled with Paul. But Paul was the chosen vessel for God to speak through to edify the church. He still is. That has not changed. But then, as now, people misread Paul. How is it wrong to call attention to it?

Like I said, people have a choice, but they may miss something that they wish they hadn't if they do not humbly consider what others say instead of being 'reactionary'. For to be reactionary means one is not 'rooted and grounded in Him.' For HE does not respond in a reactionary way. Therefore one has to recognize this if HE is honest with the Spirit of God. For any response that is not His response is wholly doubtful, is it not? It places someone. It illuminates where they are coming from.It reveals their position. So if one is spiritual, he or she will not disprove it by 'reacting'. For that shows a weakness in his/her faith.

But the devil wants it to sound condescending. It is not intended that way. However the devil is out to sew discord. And only if we participate, do we accomodate (him), and do dispite His Grace. [updown] I am just His messenger.

One thing I know is that whenever I listen to a minister, even if it is one that I fundamentally disagree with, he ultimately says something that I recognize that I should receive. (That often includes things said by frazzled nerve individuals too.) "For God resists the proud, and gives grace to the humble." And one is never allowed to forget it lest he "think he stand." However one cannot go wrong if and as he lets Jesus rule. Amen!

Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Joh 14:10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.

The Father ‘who dwelleth in me’, HE doeth the works. This Jesus said of what was going on in HIS life. And as our bigger brother, and our example, HE was demonstrating that the same is true for us. Only, we can say, “Believeth not that I am in Jesus, and Jesus is in me? The words I speak to you I speak not of myself (if I am properly aligned with HIM), but of Jesus who is in me?

Doubt me, oh thou that readest? Take this next verse, and really take to heart verse 12. Because HE made something quite clear in it! He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.

Joh 14:11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.
Joh 14:12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

And how so? How shall this be?

Joh 14:13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
Joh 14:14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

Then what are the conditions for this to occur?

Joh 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

And it goes on to say:

Joh 14:16 And I will [also] pray the Father, and he shall give you another [don't overlook another] Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
Joh 14:17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
Joh 14:18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
Joh 14:19 Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.

Ye shall live also. That doesn’t sound future tense either! Does it to you. So if you are not walking in the light now, what are you doing? My scripture says that you can only be walking in the ‘flesh’ if you are not walking in the 'truth' of who HE is.

But, when you come to the point where you believe unto the keeping of His commandments:

Joh 14:20 At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.

Joh 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

I will manifest myself ‘to’ him.

Sorry for some of you, but you seem to think God is way out there somewhere, but you do not know where, so you just call it heaven. That keeps away the chaff, huh?

But who doeth the works? If you perform a good work, it is not you who does it. And this next verse clears up something, and that is that HE said His Father ‘worketh’. As a result, HE (Jesus) works. But the works were the works that the Father was doing , and not something HE (even being God Himself) was performing. (Read it again, and again!)

Joh 5:17 But Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work.

And I will leave you with this verse indicating what the life of the believer is supposed to be like, except for the reprobate (those who claim to know God):

Gal 3:5 He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement