Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » What does it mean to crucify the flesh? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What does it mean to crucify the flesh?
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 15 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Linda, good to have you back [thumbsup2] ...to try an answer your question....

What does it mean to crucify the flesh?

in one sentence....

Not to respond in any situation contrary to the Spirit of Yahweh !

There is much to say on this but for this moment that is all the Spirit wants me to say.... [Bible] [Cross] [Prayer]

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluefrog
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FOUND IN HIM...Very Good. I knew I was gonna like you. No, you aren't alone and I understand every thing you said.

I think a lot of our personality or spirit is involved in our Christian expectations, don't you. Thank God he gave that to us and Thank God He has a sense of humor.

He knows what is best for us and put it in writing. Once introduced to the Word and we become a part of the family it is hard to believe that with knowledge we just ignore His teachings. The goal we strive for is to please the Lord and show our love for and to Him. To think that God wants a bunch of dry unhappy robots is not acceptable to me. When have you ever seen someone like that lead anyone to Jesus?
I just recently found my very first who talks the talk but don't know if anything has come of it. So, I guess I still don't know of any.

When I first became a Christian, no one ever offered to help me. It was like my beginning in life. After birth my dad made it clear that children are to be seen, not heard...go out and play. Finally, both my Christian life and my human life got a late start but made it anyway.

With the love letter (bible) that God left for me and our talks growing up has been pretty good.
I'm sure He gets put out with me from time to time. He knew that would happen so to keep me around He knew what to do and did it. It makes me cry.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluefrog
unregistered

MICHAEL...I am going to be blunt.

I didn't say my body had a will I said:...God's Will. There you go skimming again. However, my person does too have a will. Matter of fact I have two wills. The will to do something and the will concerning my estate. And a third will... when my wife says to do something I say I will. Shall I go on? I need to get outa here, it's just gettin silly now.

Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Found in Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I guess I have questions then.

I believe in confessing faults and being real.

Am I the ONLY one who struggles with the flesh? Can we be real here?

The flesh = junk
The spirit = fruit

right??

The flesh-- at least mine-- wars with my spirit for example:

I DO NOT win with the battle of patience all the time. (obviously)
I DO NOT feel joyous 100% of the time.
I DO NOT always want to be gentle, meek or kind.
AND GOD KNOWS there are some people that are HARD to love.

IS THERE ANYONE ELSE LIKE ME?

Christ lives in me and I understand that this is a process....I have walked 20 years with Him and I AINT ALL THAT YET!

He wants fruit in our lives...that is the opposite of what our flesh wants to throw at people.

What I find is loud flesh that needs shut up!

Just pray for me I guess...

I can't wait to shed this mess. Come Lord Jesus please

--------------------
~To Him That is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy...to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.~ Jude 24

Posts: 1503 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It simply means that spiritually our flesh body is crucified with Jesus.

The old body being spiritually dead the new body turns toward God's will.

Bluefrog, I am going to be blunt. I hope you take it in stride! Your body doesn't have a will! [happyhappy]
Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Michael... What would your one sentence answer look like from a personal perspective?
quote:
homeschoolers

One sentence? What your heart sees! [hug] [Kiss] [Bible]

[Cross] [thumbsup2] [Cross]

Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Copper25
Advanced Member
Member # 7464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Copper25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Romans 8:13) For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

Galatians 5:24) And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

Galatians 5

19) Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

20) Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

21) Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Make no mistake, by the grace of God one has to abandon these acts because anyone in the current doing of such actions is not walking in the Spirit but is living by the flesh. AND Romans 8:13)"if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die" is the sharp two edged sword that leaves one with no choice but instead an ultimatum, flee from the workings of the flesh mentioned in Galatians 5:19-21), crucifying those works and not do them, Or die in them, Galatians 5:21) "as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God."

--------------------
Isaiah 40:6) The voice said, Cry. And he said, What shall I cry? All flesh is grass, and all the goodliness thereof is as the flower of the field

Posts: 262 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Found in Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know you requested personal testimony for crucifying the flesh homeschoolers, but I found the following post and there is a lot of good stuff in it..

http://www.geocities.com/dcheddie/walking1.html

welcome to the board-- I'm new here too!
jeannie

--------------------
~To Him That is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy...to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.~ Jude 24

Posts: 1503 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluefrog
unregistered

It simply means that spiritually our flesh body is crucified with Jesus.

The old body being spiritually dead the new body turns toward God's will.

Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Found in Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by helpforhomeschoolers:
Ok so if I am following then for you Found In Him, your answer to the question... "How do you crucify your flesh?" might look something like...

"I crucify my flesh by beating it down and refusing to let my earthly body control me."

Is that correct? If so how is that working for you? If I dont get it and its not correct, could you give me a one line answer? I crucify the flesh this way... to me it means I respond X way to the flesh ...

Do you know what I mean?

Michael... What would your one sentence answer look like from a personal perspective?

I really am interested here in dialog. I am not so much interested in the group's various theological statements about crucifying the flesh as I am what it means for each of you personally and in practice.

I don't have just one sentence or quote for you. We "walk" the christian walk. This suggests a continual process. The bible says to walk in the spirit and you will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh.

Flesh is weak and is in conflict with the spirit. The Spirit Of God, The Word of God and prayer and fasting are my personal answers to overcoming or crucifying the flesh.

The battle or temptation is found in our thinking...so I try to keep my focus on Jesus.

--------------------

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok so if I am following then for you Found In Him, your answer to the question... "How do you crucify your flesh?" might look something like...

"I crucify my flesh by beating it down and refusing to let my earthly body control me."

Is that correct? If so how is that working for you? If I dont get it and its not correct, could you give me a one line answer? I crucify the flesh this way... to me it means I respond X way to the flesh ...

Do you know what I mean?

I really am interested here in dialog. I am not so much interested in the group's various theological statements about crucifying the flesh as I am what it means for each of you personally and in practice.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

quote:
So I wondered if we could discuss what it means to have crucified the flesh. How do you see this? What does it look like to you. If you say that you are Christ's.... how have you crucified your flesh?
homeschoolers, it simply is a faith thing. It is in the understanding, the revelation. And everything we have is by revelation - through faith. And that is what we are after, the faith; the understanding.

And that is the negative side. If we look at it from the positive side, we are looking rather at overcoming. Again, that is by faith. And faith is 'of' Christ. Therefore we need the 'Faith of Christ', to rise above our sinful state. That is what HE promises.

But so many try to overcome when they should be looking for faith. And living faith is the life that IS Christ. For Christ believes in Himself, and what HE does.
  • 2Ti 2:13 If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.

Victory is through faith. Overcoming is through faith. So the question really becomes, do we really understand faith? For a lot of what we think we believe becomes a substitute for faith. But it is not faith. For:
  • Heb 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Substance means that we have something that even if we cannot touch it, or feel it, it is there. It is something, if you will, 'that we know'.

And scripture says that:
  • Gal 5:24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
This also qualifies one as to whether he is Christ's or not, for it says that it is the result. If we have crucified the affections and lusts, we are Christ's. We are "Standing on the rock, not sand."

But mind thee, we do not crucify the affections and lust by our will, nor by our effort, but:
  • Zec 4:6 Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the LORD unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts.
It if faith in the finished work 'and working' of Christ that accomplishes this.
  • Gal 3:6 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.
So, what is believing? It is faith. And what is the result? It is a very real victory, and not wishful thinking, nor is it the concept of, "Someday when I get to heaven, I shall know victory." Jesus didn't plan on your waiting till then.
Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

well, I find that this flesh thing literally needs to be beaten down! It wants to speak loudly and I hate that! I understand why fasting is not a bad idea...the flesh seems to quiet down [Smile]

I refuse to let it control me, but we do have to wear this earth suit for now.

Romans 8

9You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ. 10But if Christ is in you, your body is dead because of sin, yet your spirit is alive because of righteousness. 11And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you.

12Therefore, brothers, we have an obligation—but it is not to the sinful nature, to live according to it. 13For if you live according to the sinful nature, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live, 14because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. 15For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship.[g] And by him we cry, "Abba,[h] Father." 16The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children. 17Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.

--------------------

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi: I was reading some of the threads and I found particularly interesting the one on abiding.

Ga 5:24 And they that are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

So I wondered if we could discuss what it means to have crucified the flesh. How do you see this? What does it look like to you. If you say that you are Christ's.... how have you crucified your flesh?

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement