Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » CONTINUE THOU

Author Topic: CONTINUE THOU
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cornelius R. Stam wrote, as posted by WildB,
quote:
Hardly, for the records show Paul to have been of all men most tactful and considerate.
Yes, Paul was most tactful and considerate. I love Paul. He must have had a rough time with himself when he thought about how many Christians he had caused to be killed or imprisoned, away from their loved ones, before Paul's Damascus experience.

love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 15 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
by Cornelius R. Stam

"Evil men and seducers shall was worse and worse...but continue thou" (IITim.3:13,14).

These were among the last words of the great Apostle Paul, written in view of his approaching martyrdom, to Timothy, his beloved son in the faith.

Circumstances, outwardly, were anything but encouraging. It seemed that the last days of the dispensation of grace were indeed at hand. The apostle had borne many "persecutions" and "afflictions" and now "suffered trouble, as an evil doer, even unto bonds". There were those who, like Jannes and Jambres, had "resisted the truth" (Verse 8). "Alexander the coppersmith" had done him "much evil" and had "greatly withstood his words" (4:14,15). "Evil men and seducers" had risen on every hand and were to "wax worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived" (IITim.3:13).

There was even defection among his own brethren in the faith, so that now, from his Roman prison, he had to report: "All they which are in Asia have turned away from me...Demas hath forsaken me...only Luke is with me" (IITim.1:15; 4:10,11).

And what, now, is his parting advice to young Timothy? Does he say: "Perhaps I have been too intense. My methods have made many enemies. I advise you to be more diplomatic and tolerant than I have been". Hardly, for the records show Paul to have been of all men most tactful and considerate. His sufferings were not the result of a contentious spirit, but of his faithfulness in proclaiming that message which so embarrasses and enrages "our adversary, the devil", that message which is God's gracious response to man's need and His answer to Satan's slander -- "the gospel of the grace of God".

Thus it is that the Apostle urges Timothy: "Continue thou...be not ashamed...be strong". He well knew that in this sin-cursed world the only hope for the individual is to be found in God's offer of salvation through faith in the redemption wrought by Christ at Calvary.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement