Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » UNIONS OR UNITY?

Author Topic: UNIONS OR UNITY?
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And here is more, just for thought: Union includes Unity. But Unity does not necessarily include Union.
Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have often said that believers who are aware of the statement in the verse which states that we see through a glass darkly should make it more personal. Do they see through a glass darkly? Why assume that one does just because Paul says, "We do." This is the kind of stuff which is the reason why another verse reads, "examine yourselves to see if you be in the faith."

Concerning Cornelius Stam, I stand by him solidly. I have read post after post which hits the nail on the head. And I know where he is coming from.

But something made me think, upon looking at this one. It was the topic title, "Unions, or Unity." I applied that immediately to our relationship with the Lord, and supposed the topic would be about that, which it is not. But the words are pretty explicit if thought of in terms of relationship. And they describe an important difference. For to say 'union' pretty much describes proper relationship with the Lord. The other word, which sounds correct in itself, and pretty doggoned close, does not. Unity is different than union, And it becomes difficult to illustrate it. But union describes the closest cooperation, which can only occur if one is under the Cross. Unity can occur if one is still alive to self. In such a case, one might be considered to be participating in his own strength, in a cooperative way. But in union, God is doing it, and HE gets the glory!

Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cornelius R. Stam wrote, as posted by WildB:
quote:
Can't we stop being Presbyterians, Baptists and Methodists and just be Christians? Why should the Church of Christ remain divided and weak, when God says:

"WE BEING MANY ARE ONE BODY IN CHRIST, AND EVERY ONE MEMBERS ONE OF ANOTHER" (Rom. 12:5).

Presbyterians, Baptists and Methodists and just be Christians? Even we "just Christians" sometimes are dismissive to each other on THIS bbs.

So even being "just Christians" does not solve the problem of "being divided", for "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" and "now we see thru a glass darkly" but "then face to face". Until we are glorified, there will be sin mixed in our feet of clay:

2 Corinthians 4:7
But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.

Romans 6
15 What then? Shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.

The Holy Spirit comes to help us, not to make us worse than we were.

Luke 8:18
Take heed therefore how you hear: for whosoever has, to him shall more be given; and whosoever has not, from him shall be taken even that which he seems to have.

Revelation 3:16
So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spew you out of My mouth.

Revelation 2:29
He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.

There will be no unity until we receive our glorified bodies; for now, It is a Treasure in earthen vessels.

And with that, we can only say for now:

Romans 12:18
If it be possible, as much as lies in you, live peaceably with all men.

Please make an effort to be nice, but I will understand if, or rather, when, we "fall short of the glory of God".

love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneinchrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Wild B,
How about this? If I choose to preach all the things the bible teaches.
I will preach "repentance"
I will preach "believe on the Lord Jesus"
I will preach "confess Christ"
I will preach "be baptized"

How about if we combine Paul and Peter?

"Repent, believe on the Lord Jesus, Confess Christ, and be baptized and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost."

.....or was "repentance" just for the jews??, and "believe on the Lord Jesus" for the gentiles??, and "be baptized in the Name of the Lord" for the Jews??

Are you sure that Mr. Stam is rightly dividing?
or is he perhaps just "dividing?"

Jesus preached them all......Repent, believe, confess, and be baptized........So why dont you?

With love in Christ, Daniel

Posts: 1389 | From: Wind Lake, WI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 15 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
by Cornelius R. Stam

Here is a company of Bible-believing Christians joined together in, let us say, an evangelistic endeavor. All are trusting in the shed blood of Christ for salvation, though some are Baptists, some Presbyterians, some Episcopalians and some represent other denominations.

Are all these believers one? Yes, in Christ, for "there is one body" (Eph. 4:4).

What united them? The "one baptism" (Eph. 4:5) by which the Holy Spirit unites all believers to Christ and to each other: "For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body whether we be Jews or Gentiles..." (I Cor. 12:13).

Yet these same believers, all trusting in the finished work of Christ for salvation, remain sadly divided as far as fellowship in the work of the Lord is concerned. They may have blessed fellowship in their evangelistic endeavor, but at its conclusion they go back to their mutually exclusive church organizations.

The reason? Basically it is that they have confused "the gospel of the kingdom," proclaimed by Christ on earth and His twelve apostles, with "the gospel of the grace of God," proclaimed by the ascended, glorified Lord through the Apostle Paul (Acts 20:24; Eph. 3:1-3).

Striving over baptismal modes and meanings, most of them still require their particular forms of baptism for entrance into their churches, while explaining at the same time that the ceremony has no saving value and that it is not required by God for entrance into the true Church.

Can't we stop being Presbyterians, Baptists and Methodists and just be Christians? Why should the Church of Christ remain divided and weak, when God says:

"WE BEING MANY ARE ONE BODY IN CHRIST, AND EVERY ONE MEMBERS ONE OF ANOTHER" (Rom. 12:5).

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement