Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Believe in Jesus vs. believe on Jesus

Author Topic: Believe in Jesus vs. believe on Jesus
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oneinchrist wrote to Eden
quote:
so what do you think the bible is suggesting when it says "even the devils believe and tremble?"
To me it just means that the devils believe everything that is said in the Bible and they tremble when they think about what is going to happen to them.

Matthew 8:29
And, behold, they (the demons) cried out, saying, What have we to do with you, Jesus, you Son of God? are you come here to torment us before the time?

In WildB's phrase, "that's all".

love, Edenstein

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 15 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I understand what Daniel is saying...

Salvation has been reduced to mental assent...

believing in or believing on Yahshua has become the simple walking the aisles or in some cases just raise your hand where you are setting and pray this simple I accept Jesus as my Savior prayer and the false preachers of the false gospel declare the person saved....

but that is not what the scriptures teach or even imply...

The Apostle Paul said you that think you are saved, your lives do not bear witness you are born again. You need to go again and search the scriptures, examine yourselves and prove your salvation....a new creature does not live like the old creature!!!!!

being born again is described as being raised from the dead....

how many people that claim to be born again know this sensation of the real new birth....passing from death to life (the power of sin being broken in their lives)?

How many in the church are like Satan and the demons, they believe Yahshua is the messiah, they believe he died for the sins of the whole world, they believe Yahshua rose from the dead, they believe every word in the scriptures is true but they have never surrender their will to the will of Yahweh the Father through the Blood of Yahshua..

Yahshua said not everyone that calls me Lord will enter eternal life , only those that do the will of my Father will enter....

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneinchrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Eden,
What exactly am I making a mountain out of a molehill on? It is not the terminology that I am as concerned with as the whole idea of what I am trying to express..............so what do you think the bible is suggesting when it says "even the devils believe and tremble?"

With love in Christ, Daniel

Posts: 1389 | From: Wind Lake, WI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

dear oneinchrist, I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill on this one. People can get saved by "believe in" and by "believe on"; let them pick their "in" [Bible] or "their "on" [Bible] but they'll be "in". [angel3]

love, Eden

oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneinchrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Eden,
According to the dictionary you are correct.......but it is my aim to make sure that when I witness that people understand the difference between mental assent to a set of given facts and a true reliance or dependence upon a set of given facts. The bible makes the same distinction when it says......"even the devils believe and tremble"

It is true that words can at times be used in different ways to express different meaning or emphasis. You will find that is the case throughout the bible. That is why context is important. Eden, I am sure that you understood my post in what the point was that I was trying to convey.

Posts: 1389 | From: Wind Lake, WI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mizpa
Community Member
Member # 7253

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Mizpa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.
Posts: 16 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Beauty of Holiness777
Advanced Member
Member # 7380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Beauty of Holiness777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Believe on the name of Jesus

First you have to believe on His name to even want to be saved. You have to believe that HE is who He says He is and that He can saved you and that your object of faith is in Him.

To believe in the name of Jesus:

Is to now have confidence and trust, to look to.

Psalms 121
I look to the hills from whence cometh my help my help comes from the Lord.

To put faith in or have faith in.

Can one "believe on" the name of Jesus and be lost? Without full repentance yes.

Acts 2:21

Whosever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

This is a true statement but there is also another connection which is;

Acts 2:38
Repent each of you and be baptize in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall recieve the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Even though they might have done Acts 2:21 if they haven't fulfilled it with Acts 2:38 they have been or is being misled.

--------------------
In God I'am Complete.
I am a "Spiritual Being" living in a physical body.
{Prayer - a force that reaches people and places when we can't}

Posts: 192 | From: God's Universe | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

oneinchrist wrote
quote:
What is the distinction? Is there really a difference between believing in the Lord Jesus and believing on the Lord Jesus? I contend that there is a huge difference and that ignorance could cost a person their soul.
What is the difference in the Greek? That's where we should look first. Are the same Greek words used in each case, or was a different Greek word used to justify translating one case as "believing in" and the other as "believing on".

Romans 10:14
How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard?

John 6:29
Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that you believe on Him whom He has sent.

John 7:39
(But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

John 9:35
Jesus heard that they had cast him out; and when he had found him, he said unto him, Dost thou believe on the Son of God?

Strong's Concordance

Believe in:

Rom 6:8 Now 1161 if 1487 we be dead 599 with 4862 Christ 5547, we believe 4100 that 3754 we shall 4800 0 also 2532 live 4800 with him 846:
Rom 10:9 That 3754 if 1437 thou shalt confess 3670 with 1722 thy 4675 mouth 4750 the Lord 2962 Jesus 2424, and 2532 shalt believe 4100 in 1722 thine 4675 heart 2588 that 3754 God 2316 hath raised 1453 him 846 from 1537 the dead 3498, thou shalt be saved 4982 .

Rom 10:14 How 4459 then 3767 shall they call on 1941 him in 1519 whom 3739 they have 4100 0 not 3756 believed 4100? and 1161 how 4459 shall they believe in 4100 him of whom 3739 they have 191 0 not 3756 heard 191 ? and 1161 how 4459 shall they hear 191 without 5565 a preacher 2784 ?

Believe on:

Jhn 6:29 Jesus 2424 answered 611 and 2532 said 2036 unto them 846, This 5124 is 2076 the work 2041 of God 2316, that 2443 ye believe 4100 on 1519 him 3739 whom 1565 he hath sent 649 .

Jhn 7:39 (But 1161 this 5124 spake he 2036 of 4012 the Spirit 4151, which 3739 they that believe 4100 on 1519 him 846 should 3195 receive 2983 : for 1063 the Holy 40 Ghost 4151 was 2258 not yet 3768 [given]; because 3754 that Jesus 2424 was 1392 0 not yet 3764 glorified 1392 .)

Jhn 9:35 Jesus 2424 heard 191 that 3754 they had cast 1544 him 846 out 1854; and 2532 when he had found 2147 him 846, he said 2036 unto him 846, Dost 4100 0 thou 4771 believe 4100 on 1519 the Son 5207 of God 2316?

oneinchrist, so we see that "believe 4100" and "believe in 4100" was the same thing, but for "believe on" it was "believe 4100 on 1519", with on 1519 added AFTER 4100.

So let's see what 1519 is:

1519, eis "a primary preposition; to or into (indicating the point reached or entered), of place, time, or (figuratively) purpose (result, etc.); also in adverbial phrases:--(abundant-)ly, against, among, as, at, (back-)ward, before, by, concerning, + continual, + far more exceeding, for (intent, purpose), fore, + forth, in (among, at, unto, -so much that, -to), to the intent that, + of one mind, + never, of, (up-)on, + perish, + set at one again, (so) that, therefore(-unto), throughout, til, to (be, the end, -ward), (here-)until(-to), ...ward, (where-)fore, with."

"Often used in composition with the same general import, but only with verbs (etc.) expressing motion (literally or figuratively)."

So it seems that "believing on" Him is just a stronger expression than "believe in" Him, and describes more the "strong impulse being felt to believe hurriedly in Him", that sort of thing, but perhaps NOT what YOU said:
quote:
What is the distinction? Is there really a difference between believing in the Lord Jesus and believing on the Lord Jesus? I contend that there is a huge difference
and [b]that ignorance could cost a person their soul.

Regarding the part that I bolded, do you still think that "there is a huge difference" and that "ignorance could cost a person their soul", and, if so, how so?

love, Eden

oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

What is the distinction? Is there really a difference between believing in the Lord Jesus and believing on the Lord Jesus? I contend that there is a huge difference and that ignorance could cost a person their soul.

We know that the devils even believe in Jesus. They cried out many times, calling Him the Son of God. They knew full well who He was. Most religions believe in Jesus and at least recognize Him as a prophet/teacher. But it is not enough to believe in Jesus, just as it is not enough to just believe in God.

So what does it mean to believe on the Lord Jesus? It means to take to heart everything that He ever taught. It means to trust His word. The devils do not do that even though they know who Jesus is.
So the question is not only "Do you believe in God?".....the question is also "Do you believe God?"
So the question is not only "Do you believe in Jesus?".....the question is also "Do you believe Jesus?"

We must believe in and believe on the Lord Jesus in order to be saved. I am convinced that the Eunoch who Philip witnessed to who confessed Jesus as the "Son of God" was also ready to obey Him as the Son of God......something that the devils would never do willingly.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement