Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » How does our name get put in the book of Life?

Author Topic: How does our name get put in the book of Life?
J4Jesus
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yea. but how can you think that when the Bible clearly says more than once, God wrote His peoples' names in the Book from the Beginning of Time.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timspong
Advanced Member
Member # 5240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timspong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eden:
Revelation 17:8

The beast that you saw was, and is not, and will ascend out of the bottomless pit and go to perdition. And those who dwell on the earth will marvel, whose names are not written in the Book of Life from the foundation of the world, when they see the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.

So why are their names NOT written in the book of life from the foundation of the world?

Someone here I think said that just being born on earth gets our name written into the book of life.

But Rev.17:8 says that some peoples’ names are NOT written into the book of life SINCE the foundation of the world.

And notice from Rev.17:8 that the persons who are NOT written in the book of life will MARVEL when they see the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.

Does that mean that the persons whose names ARE written in the book of life will NOT MARVEL when they see the beast that was, and is not, and yet is?

Will the persons whose names ARE written in the book of life SEE the beast that was, and is not, and yet is?

How DOES one’s names get written in the book of life if not all names are written in the book of life from the foundation of the world? What must I do to be saved?

Acts 16:29-31

29 Then he called for a light, and sprang in, and came trembling, and fell down before Paul and Silas,

30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?

31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you shall be saved, and your house.

Presumably, to be saved by believing in Jesus is the same thing as having my name written in the book of life.

So since each person in their own generation since Jesus has to believe for himself or herself, the names are written in the book of life when someone saves himself or herself by believing in Jesus, while living on earth since Jesus’s time.

But, what of those who have never heard?

Romans 10:14
How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher?

But, nonetheless, I currently think that our names are written in the book of life WHEN WE BELIEVE in Jesus in our lifetime.

The people on earth whose names are NOT written in the book of life when they see the beast will be the people who have NOT YET BELIEVED in Jesus, and therefore their names are NOT yet written in the book of life.

Since this is my Topic, I think an interesting side Topic is, "will we whose names ARE written in the book of life, will we also see the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.

And, who or what is da beast?

Be blessed.
Eden

I am not much of an authority on end times theology however I think this may all happen after the "rapture" of the church.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Timothy Michael Spong

Posts: 146 | From: Lagos, Nigeria | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timspong
Advanced Member
Member # 5240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timspong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by J4Jesus:
If You Are Now Saved, Your Name Was In The Book From The Beginning Of The World.

I am not much of an authority on end times theology however I think this may all happen after the "rapture" of the church.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Timothy Michael Spong

Posts: 146 | From: Lagos, Nigeria | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J4Jesus
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If You Are Now Saved, Your Name Was In The Book From The Beginning Of The World.
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Revelation 17:8

The beast that you saw was, and is not, and will ascend out of the bottomless pit and go to perdition. And those who dwell on the earth will marvel, whose names are not written in the Book of Life from the foundation of the world, when they see the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.

So why are their names NOT written in the book of life from the foundation of the world?

Someone here I think said that just being born on earth gets our name written into the book of life.

But Rev.17:8 says that some peoples’ names are NOT written into the book of life SINCE the foundation of the world.

And notice from Rev.17:8 that the persons who are NOT written in the book of life will MARVEL when they see the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.

Does that mean that the persons whose names ARE written in the book of life will NOT MARVEL when they see the beast that was, and is not, and yet is?

Will the persons whose names ARE written in the book of life SEE the beast that was, and is not, and yet is?

How DOES one’s names get written in the book of life if not all names are written in the book of life from the foundation of the world? What must I do to be saved?

Acts 16:29-31

29 Then he called for a light, and sprang in, and came trembling, and fell down before Paul and Silas,

30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?

31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you shall be saved, and your house.

Presumably, to be saved by believing in Jesus is the same thing as having my name written in the book of life.

So since each person in their own generation since Jesus has to believe for himself or herself, the names are written in the book of life when someone saves himself or herself by believing in Jesus, while living on earth since Jesus’s time.

But, what of those who have never heard?

Romans 10:14
How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher?

But, nonetheless, I currently think that our names are written in the book of life WHEN WE BELIEVE in Jesus in our lifetime.

The people on earth whose names are NOT written in the book of life when they see the beast will be the people who have NOT YET BELIEVED in Jesus, and therefore their names are NOT yet written in the book of life.

Since this is my Topic, I think an interesting side Topic is, "will we whose names ARE written in the book of life, will we also see the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.

And, who or what is da beast?

Be blessed.
Eden

timspong
Advanced Member
Member # 5240

The answer is very easy.

Our names were writen in the book of life before the world was even created and we are predestined to accept Jesus as our Lord and saviour. Our salvation is by grace and even that fact that we have faith at all is a pure gift from God.

Salvation has nothing to do with works by which none of us deserve salvation. By works we can't compare ourselves to Hitler or Mother Theresa. Jesus is the only one we can compare ourselves with and in that we all fall well short.

Ro 3:11
There is none who understands; There is none who seeks after God.

I.e. we don't seek after God, God seeks us.

Rv 17:8

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Timothy Michael Spong

Frydaddy
Community Member
Member # 6134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frydaddy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who sayes that there is a book of life???

--------------------
(New kin on the block,just waiving a hand.)

Posts: 13 | From: Houston | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a book of the living and when one dies one is blotted out of the book of the living. But there is THE book of the Life of the Lamb and it was written from the foundation and in it are the names of the righteous in Christ. It is not a book about us, but a book about HIM. THE LAMB's BOOK is a BOOK of the Life of The LAMB of GOD. Are you in it? That is the most important question of your life and it must be answered while you are still written among the living. Make your calling and election sure!

JESUS is THE LIFE!

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
niel
Community Member
Member # 6113

Icon 15 posted      Profile for niel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi yahsway
Gen 1:27 And God created man in his own image, in the image of God created
him;
Co 11:7 For a man indeed ought not to have his head veiled, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God:
I cannot agree with you more, if you look at these two verses, something tells me there is a big deferens. The way I see it, God created Adam out of dust in His image, Gen 2:7 And Jehovah God formed man of the dust of the ground, but when we are born again He takes of Himself, the incorruptible seed, (the Word) and conceive our spirit, and out of that a new creature is born. 1Pe 1:23 having been begotten again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, through the word of God, which liveth and abideth
You see, now we are not created any more but begotten, we are like God through Jesus, because we are the image of God. That is why Jesus said we are gods. Joh 10:34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, ye are gods?
Joh 10:35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came (and the scripture cannot be broken),
My view is we are born again by faith, but the fruits are the proof of the new birth, if there is no fruits there is no spiritual birth. We do not work for the salvation anymore, but enjoy it, because it was a gift. We now live in obedience with the Holy spirit that lead us in the truth, day by day. We must also remember, [Confused] we must think the way of the new covenant, because the old one did not work.
Be blessed
Niel
Ps I hope you understand, English is not my mother tongue.

Posts: 14 | From: South Afrika Pretoria | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yahsway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eden, Human beings are made in the image and likeness of Adam. It is not until we are
born again" that we are made in the image and likeness of God.

Gen 5 verse1 tells us that Adam was made in the likeness of God.

verse 3 tells us "And Adam lived one hundred and thirty years and begot a son in his (Adams) OWN likeness, after his (Adams) image and named him Seth.

Adam was created and made in the image and likeness of God. But after the fall in the garden, everyone else who came from Adam was made in that likeness.

But when we are born again, we are restored to the image and likeness of God through Yeshua the Messiah.

God is the creator of all humankind, but He is not the Father of everyone. I do not see Gods image and likeness in those who would be murderers, thieves, drunkards, ect.. for they have another father. It is not until they forsake the one father for the Supreme Father God and His Christ that I can see the likeness of God in them.

Thats why Yeshua said we canot serve 2 masters, for we will hate one of them and love the other.

The physical birth record in the book is our image and likeness under Adam, our spiritual birth record in the Lambs book of Life is our image and likeness under Christ. Shalom

Posts: 1238 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 15 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Book of life- is a record of everyone born

If a person dies as a believer his name is retained in the book of life, if he dies unsaved he is blotted out. Ps. 69:28: "Let them be blotted out of the book of the living and not be written with the righteous."

The righteous are those who obeyed by having faith in the gospel.

Rev.13:8: "And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world."

Those who were not born again will not worship Jesus Christ but the false Messiah during the tribulation period when he is revealed.

Rev.17:8:..."and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world."

Both these scriptures show that everyone not in the Lambs book of Life will follow the Beast, yet they are found in the book of Life that records everyone who is born. How do we reconcile this with it saying, anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire. (Rev 20:15)

Daniel also prophesied the judgment with books open. Dan 7:10 A river of fire was flowing, coming out from before him. Thousands upon thousands attended him; ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him. The court was seated, and the books were opened. Also in Dan.12 he mentions a time when Israel will be delivered and there will be those found written in the book. ( a reference to judgment probably of the just and unjust, as he states their position in the resurrection.)

Rev.20:12-15: "And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire."

What are the things which were written in the books.” These books record everything we have done (every idle word spoken relating to God and Jesus). The other books mentioned are the biographies of the individual. The times they heard the Gospel and rejected it, their good and bad deeds that will determine their degree of punishment, not their salvation. God has perfect record keeping.

The term "another book," is the roll-book of the regenerated, those washed and sanctified through faith in His blood sacrifice for their sins. The first death consisted in the separation of the soul from the body temporarily until this judgment. The second death in the separation of both body and soul from God forever. The first death has a resurrection unto eternal life without sin; the second death is there is no recovery.

Ps. 9:5: “You have rebuked the nations, you have destroyed the wicked; you have blotted out their name forever and ever.”
Those who received Christ have their name written in his book of life (the Lamb's book) and it is retained in the Book of Life. Those who reject him, never have their name written in his book. Their name is also removed from the book of life, of which everyone’s name is written down that ever lived.

So there are several books, the book of records of their deeds, possibly the book of the law showing when they broke it. The book of life records their physical birth, and the Lamb's book of life which records their second birth (Spiritual). To be in the Lamb's book means one is in the new covenant and has been cleansed by the blood of the lamb. If one is born twice they will not be judged for punishment by the 2nd death, but have passed from death unto life. If you're born twice you will die once, if you're born once you will die twice (physically and spiritually). The great white throne judgment is the 2nd resurrection which is strictly for unbelievers (which takes place at the end of the Millennium) since believers have all been glorified in the different stages by the first resurrection.

Heb. 12:23: "To the general assembly and church of the firstborn who are registered in heaven, to God the Judge of all, to the spirits of just men made perfect." The Greek word is apographo which means to write (a copy or list), i.e. enrol: (Strong's Numbers and Concordance.) Thayer's Greek Lexicon says it means to enter in a register or records specially, to enter the names of men, their property, and income in public records to enroll. If you are born again you then become a pilgrim on earth heading for your permanent home in heaven

Is your name registered in heaven in the Lamb's book of life. There is only one way for this to occur. You must recognize Christ's sacrifice for you, admit you have sinned and need his forgiveness. Ask him to cleanse you by his blood he shed for your sins on the cross. Then your name will be on the register forever.

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Hi, David. I think you are saying that when we are born our name goes in the book of life.

Your post was a bit long for me, but is it accurate to say, in a couple of sentences, that our name is blotted out of the book of life when we die IF we have not accepted Jesus as our Substitute for the penalty of our sins, which penalty is death?

If we have NOT accepted Jesus when we die, our name is blotted out of the book of life. Is that what you are saying?

So basically at the judgment, Jesus looks to see if our name is STILL in the book of life, right?

David, you also said:

We do not grow into a spiritual relationship step by step—we either have a relationship or we do not. God does not continue to cleanse us more and more from sin—"But if we walk in the light," we are cleansed "from all sin" ( 1 John 1:7 ). It is a matter of obedience, and once we obey, the relationship is instantly perfected. But if we turn away from obedience for even one second, darkness and death are immediately at work again.

Eden here:

I don’t agree with the above statements. Human beings are made in the image and likeness of God, so to some extent we can look at human relationships for similarities. It seems to me that a baby or a child DOES GROW into that relationship with his parents step by step.

As for your statements, “if we walk in the light”, “we are cleansed from all sin”, yes, but Jesus said that “now are you every whit clean”, BUT…”only your feet need to be washed” on a regular basis. What did Jesus mean by “our feet still needed to be washed”?

I think Jesus meant that by believing in Jesus, "we are every whit clean", but because we are born sinners and still find “a law of sin in our bodily members,” we will need to “confess those ongoing sins”, which is to say, “sorry, Lord, I know I just cursed that man out on the road, but I’m sorry, it is not right”.

After we are made clean, as long as we confess our further sins to Him and agree with Him that we are sinners, that is called “washing our feet” by Jesus.

As for our relationship with Jesus, it is not immediately perfected, but it starts immediately as an ongoing walk, and it is only perfected, even as Jesus's walk was perfected, over time, as we walk with Him on a daily basis, but in us, the law of sin still spikes up, so we need to "wash our feet regularly."

Be blessed. Eden

KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JESUS CHRIST IS THE WALKING, TALKING, LIVING BOOK OF LIFE.

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6 (NKJV)

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. John 11:25 (NKJV)

I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. Galatians 2:20 (KJV)

It is not about having your name written in a book to later have an angel come with a bottle of white-out and remove it. If you are not submitted to have Jesus live in you, then your name is continually being blotted out of the living book of Christ. Again life is not in a book, it is in Christ Jesus who is the living book.

All people when we were born have our names were written in the Book of Life as by birth we became “sons” and “daughters” of God (God’s list of those destined for eternal life). We must realize when sin entered this world, our “right” to remain in this Book was lost. That means only the names of those who receive Jesus and His gift of Eternal Life remain in the Book. Those who do not accept Jesus as their Saviour are blotted out of the Book. So if we want to keep our name in that Book we must admit that only Christ can pay our sin dept, accepting Jesus Christ alone as our personal Lord and Savior. If we do not, then when we die and die we will, our name will be "blotted out" of the Book of life. On the day we stand before the Great White Throne of God, He will open the Book of Life. If our name is in that Book we are saved - not because of what we did, but because Jesus paid our sin dept on the Cross. But if our name is not there, then God looks in "The Books". These are the "Books of Works" where God examines our life on earth to see if we have lived "good enough" to get into Heaven. When your works are compared with the infinite holiness of God, they will not measure up and we shall be condemned to the Lake of Fire.

So now we know that ONLY true born-again believers have their names recorded in the Lamb’s Book of Life. A person may have his or her name on a church roll, but this does not mean they are saved. There will be many surprises when “the books are opened”! (Rev 20:12)

So I believe the main question is – Are You Born Again, do you know Jesus Christ and most of all does He know you? The only way to know someone is to spend time with them.

Or I guess the question is How do I know if I am born-again?

That is a great question. When you are born-again you change. You become dead to sin and an alive in Christ. I think the below quote is very good in explaining it. I don’t remember where I found this but here it is:

We do not grow into a spiritual relationship step by step—we either have a relationship or we do not. God does not continue to cleanse us more and more from sin—"But if we walk in the light," we are cleansed "from all sin" ( 1 John 1:7 ). It is a matter of obedience, and once we obey, the relationship is instantly perfected. But if we turn away from obedience for even one second, darkness and death are immediately at work again.

“All of God’s revealed truths are sealed until they are opened to us through obedience. You will never open them through philosophy or thinking. But once you obey, a flash of light comes immediately. Let God’s truth work into you by immersing yourself in it, not by worrying into it. The only way you can get to know the truth of God is to stop trying to find out and by being born again. If you obey God in the first thing He shows you, then He instantly opens up the next truth to you. You could read volumes on the work of the Holy Spirit, when five minutes of total, uncompromising obedience would make things as clear as sunlight. Don’t say, "I suppose I will understand these things someday!" You can understand them now. And it is not study that brings understanding to you, but obedience. Even the smallest bit of obedience opens heaven, and the deepest truths of God immediately become yours. Yet God will never reveal more truth about Himself to you, until you have obeyed what you know already. Beware of becoming one of the "wise and prudent." "If anyone wills to do His will, he shall know . . ." ( John 7:17 ).”

::::::::::::::::

So instead of worrying if our name is written in the book of life, I for one want to get to know the one who is LIFE and that is Jesus Christ. If you get to know Him, you will come to love Him and He is the book of life. If you truly seek Him you will soon come to know you have been born-again and then you shall have eternal life BECAUSE of Him.

Plow on, plow on…
David

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

How does our name get put in the book of Life?

And, how does our name stay in the book of Life?

At the judgment day, will Jesus only look in the book of Life for our name?

What do you think?

Have a nice day.

Eden

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement