Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » "Things To Come"

Author Topic: "Things To Come"
Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am looking at my James Strongs and boy this word can take hours of Joy in learning His word..

Gloriest
Glorified
Glorifieth
Gloryfy
Glorifying
Glorious
Gloriously
Glory
Glorying

Just by going over the majority of the meaning of the word can be related to Salvation, I might be wrong but thus far that is what I see and read.

--------------------
Romans 9:11-24

Our Eschatology may vary even our Ecclesiology may be disputed among us but our Soteriology most assume a singularity and exclusivity which in biblical term is known as Quote; "The Narrow Way" and Quote!

Posts: 2792 | From: Stockton,Ca | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
epouraniois
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed. May we look at this word 'glory' -

Lets look at this word first, often translated 'boast', as there are only two words translated glory, or a variation of them.

G2744
καυχάομαι
kauchaomai
Thayer Definition:
1) to glory (whether with reason or without)
2) to glory on account of a thing
3) to glory in a thing
Part of Speech: verb
A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: from some (obsolete) base akin to that of aucheo (to boast) and G2172
Citing in TDNT: 3:645, 423

- is the same word elsewhere translated 'boast', such as when the apostle explains to the Jews:

Rom 2:23 Thou that makest thy boast of the law, through breaking the law dishonorest thou God?

And at the same time, it is joyous to boast of tribulations:

Rom 5:3 And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience

Joyous because of knowing all things are being achieved through the Lord Christ Jesus:

Rom 5:11 And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.

1Co 1:31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

1Ch 16:10 Glory ye in his holy name: let the heart of them rejoice that seek the LORD.

But there is another kind of glory which is of the Lord -

G1391
δόξα
doxa
Thayer Definition:
1) opinion, judgment, view
2) opinion, estimate, whether good or bad concerning someone
2a) in the NT always a good opinion concerning one, resulting in praise, honour, and glory
3) splendour, brightness
3a) of the moon, sun, stars
3b) magnificence, excellence, preeminence, dignity, grace
3c) majesty
3c1) a thing belonging to God
3c1) the kingly majesty which belongs to him as supreme ruler, majesty in the sense of the absolute perfection of the deity
3c2) a thing belonging to Christ
3c2a) the kingly majesty of the Messiah
3c2b) the absolutely perfect inward or personal excellency of Christ; the majesty
3c3) of the angels
3c3a) as apparent in their exterior brightness
4) a most glorious condition, most exalted state
4a) of that condition with God the Father in heaven to which Christ was raised after he had achieved his work on earth
4b) the glorious condition of blessedness into which is appointed and promised that true Christians shall enter after their Saviour’s return from heaven
Part of Speech: noun feminine
A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: from the base of G1380
Citing in TDNT: 2:233, 178

First, and incredible contrast can be found in the Prison Epistles, where the word glory, doxa, used many time of the Lord of Glory, is used of a specific kind of person:

Phi 3:18
(For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ:
Phi 3:19
Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.)
Phi 3:20
For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ

Now as the word 'doxa' is applied in various aspects:

Joh 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

1Ti 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

Joh 17:5 And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.

And to the revealed church of the Prison Epistles we read the same word:

Eph 1:6 To the praise of the gloryof His grace, wherein He hath made us accepted in the beloved.

Eph 1:12 That we should be to the praise of His glory, who first trusted in Christ.

Eph 1:14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of His glory.

Eph 1:17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:
Eph 1:18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints

Eph 3:13 Wherefore I desire that ye faint not at my tribulations for you, which is your glory.
()
Eph 3:16 That he would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man

Eph 3:21 Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.

Phi 1:11 Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

Phi 2:11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Phi 4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

Col 1:11 Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness

Col 1:27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory

And the members of the church which is His body look to manifesting with Him when He manifests in glory:

Col 3:4 When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.

Tit 2:13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Savior Jesus Christ

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know I have learnd that even do a child may be able to read the Word of God, for God is the One that giveth understanding when reading His words we most come in humbleness and in prayer. Most of the time we do not pray before reading His word we just read. It takes allot of discipline to the point that I have felt overwhelm by the reading some times. But yet He is all Grace and Merciful that aloud me to go thru this so the flesh get no glory but unto Him.

1Co 2:9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
1Co 2:10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.
1Co 2:11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
1Co 2:12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
1Co 2:13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
1Co 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
1Co 2:15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
1Co 2:16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.

--------------------

Our Eschatology may vary even our Ecclesiology may be disputed among us but our Soteriology most assume a singularity and exclusivity which in biblical term is known as Quote; "The Narrow Way" and Quote!

Posts: 2792 | From: Stockton,Ca | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
epouraniois
unregistered

yes, i believe there is true alagory, perhaps i spoke to soon earlier, forgive me, i meant in the NT.

There are three main or general Figures in use in the Bible and in our daily,
Sim'-i-le; or, Resemblance - is {represents} something else.
Met'-a-phor -- A declaration that one thing is (or represents) another: while Simile resembles it, and
Hypocatastasis implies it.Representation -- An implied resemblance or representation.

But Allegory is a CONTINUED representation by comparisson and through implication, instead of saying it once, it is continually repeated where the whole story is teaching by Figure and by Implication.

Interestingly enough, this , Ps. 80, finds cause in Isa. 5. 1-6, w/v.7 as conclusive, echoes the parable Luke 20. 9-16, and realitied in Acts, wherein one of the three trees are likened to which Israel is likened: the fig=national privilege; the olive=religious privilege; the vine=spiritual privilege. Wild grapes=bad grapes, but behold, oppression for righteousness.

It's not telling us all that it is implying. it's not telling us the vine is like a people, or it is a people, its implying something, and this is true alagory. It is not until v.7 are we told that 'the men of Judah his pleasant plant', all the while we read v. 1-6 we were not told what the plant was, making it pure Allegory. The Continued Comparison by Representation (Metaphor) ( and Implication (Hypocatastasis). Teaching a truth about one thing by substituting another for it which is unlike it.

Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Nehemiah 8:1-8 Ezra the scribe (priest) read therein before the street that was before the water gate from the morning until midday, before the men and the women, and those that could understand; and the ears of all the people were attentive unto the book of the law.

What was his approach to Gen 3:14 And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:
Gen 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

Was Spiritual or Literal? The scriptura was unintelligible unto Israel for they where in exile.

--------------------

Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

These are some of the views that a student of the Word of God faces everytime. I have learn that repetition and slow reading are a importany or the most important when reading the Word of God. It is my understanding thus far that yes the Word of God is full Allegorical views. But we most be ready also to accept changes when the God show us.

1. The wicked will be burned up with literal fire, in a literal lake of fire in the literal Jerusalem city dump

2. A literal lake of fire and a literal city dump are two irreconcilably contradictory concepts if taken literally. They are therefore word pictures and symbolic language used to express what is otherwise indescribable since Hell is in the spirit world and is therefore described in symbolic terms humans can relate to.

3. Because the destruction of the wicked is described in non-literal language there will be no actual destruction of the wicked.

1. There is literal fire and fingers in Hades.

2. Hades is in the otherwise indescribable spirit world and is therefore described in symbolic terms humans can relate to.

3. Because Hades is described in non-literal language Hades doesn't exist as an actual place where departed spirits consciously await judgement.

1. God has literal flesh and bone body with wings.

2. God exists in the otherwise indescribable spirit world and is therefore described in symbolic terms humans can relate to.

3. Because God is described in non-literal language God doesn't exist.

--------------------

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Here is the only Figure of True Allagory that I am aware of:
Gal 4:23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise.
Gal 4:24 Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which engendereth to bondage, which is Hagar.

The only true allegory in the whole of the scipture???? How doe you conclude this? Please explain.
Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

quote:
While allegory is an accepted method of interpretation, extreme care must be used when applying it. A person just cannot make a blanket statement that something represents something without proper biblical justification for believing that. Allegory can be used to skew someone’s thinking toward a teaching. When representations are created within a system to persuade others into accepting it, this is abuse of the Scriptures. For example, in the DOT, its adherents are pulling Scriptures, with judgment in them, out of context, and are applying it to the church without any biblical justification. Scriptures which were once interpreted as the end of the world such as Sodom and Gomorrah, are now interpreted as the death of the church. This is what happens when you go from the spiritual meaning to the hyper-allegorical meaning.

--------------------

Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

epouraniois thank you for taking the time, what do you think on this two statements. While I am reading I will be presenting some quotes of what I read from some books and the word of God.

quote:
ALLEGORY

AL'LEGORY, n. Gr. other, to speak, a forum, an oration.
A figurative sentence or discourse, in which the principal subject is described by another subject resembling it in its properties and circumstances. The principal subject is thus kept out of view, and we are left to collect the intentions of the writer or speaker, by the resemblance of the secondary to the primary subject. Allegory is in words that hieroglyphics are in painting. We have a fine example of an allegory in the eightieth Psalm, in which God's chosen people are represented by a vineyard. The distinction in scripture between a parable and an allegory, is said to be that a parable is a supposed history, and an allegory, a figurative description of real facts. An allegory is called a continued metaphor. The following line in Virgil is an example of an allegory.

Claudite jam rivos, pueri, sat prata biberunt.

Stop the currents, young men, the meadows have drank sufficiently; that is let your music cease, our ears have been sufficiently delighted.

quote:
Galatians 4:24 - "Which things are an allegory" - Holy Bible

The word "allegory" is used in the Holy Bible (KJV) to reveal to us the Scriptures are allegorical. Sadly many (Mt 7:13) deceived by many (Mt 24:5) are so bewitched (Gal 3:1) by ministers of Satan (2Cor 11:15) saying you too can have partiality from an impartial God, they're not aware the Bible is allegoric.

Nor do many know it's a comparative teaching (scripture vs scripture) "written aforetime for our learning" (Rom 15:4). Such not only suggests thinking is allowed, but also ignorance isn't bliss. Rather, according to converted Peter, willing ignorance was the cause of the first of twain worlds perishing (2Pet 3).

Sadly the word allegory doesn't appear in the New King James Version (NKJV) of the Bible, which uses "symbolic" instead. Neither does it appear in the New International Version (NIV), which uses "figurative". Some Bible commentaries even use "metaphor" instead of allegory. But after 50,000 hrs of actual Bible study it's my insight Translators of the Bible used the right word, being more meticulous about translating than unlearned scribes.

To clarify many churchy definitions of allegory, an allegory is simply a story in which people, places, and things often have another meaning, like a parable; A story with a spiritual moral of life or death consequence. The biblical allegory is much more than symbolic, figurative, or even an extended metaphor. It's a virtue-all God shew whereby all the worlds a stage, and a mystery to be solved in time since there's neither mystery nor time for such in eternity; the ultimate reconciliation objective being "with all thy getting, get understanding".

Understand that "my grace is sufficient" means no law required; Understand that "I will have mercy, and not sacrifice" means I will have grace, and not law. And understand "immutable" means unchangeable by any means. No amount of lying, crying, or dying will ever change the immutable will of God.

In Galatians 4 Abraham had two sons (Ishmael/Isaac; allegorically flesh/Spirit) by two different women (Agar/Sarah; allegorically bondwoman/freewoman); "Which things are an allegory", for these "are the two covenants" (testaments: law/grace). One of twain Jersusalems (allegorically mothers), "this" Agar: Mt Sinai (law) gendereth to bondage; But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.

What it flat out says, in plain allegory english, is law, which was "added" to "my grace is sufficient" (no law required) was plan b: bondage; Whereas firstly pure wisdom from above (Grace unto you... from God our Father) is plan a: approved. Hence the exhortation: study to shew thyself approved unto God... "shew" suggesting a study of twain: disapproved (law) vs approved (grace), with only one of twain being what's right for you all: all the KofG within "you".

To be sure that's what it really says, let's go on to the question Paul (his witness unto all men) asks and answers in Galatians 4 (which has an allegorical theme, discussion, and conclusion). Question: what saith the script-u-are? Of twain scriptures (gospels), which one are you? Answer: cast out the bondwoman and her son (allegory: cast out the law and the result of the law: sin and death). The obvious benefit of no law, is no imputation of sin and no dead end. For law is the strength of sin, and the "sting" of sin (law imputes to all) is death (1Cor 15:56).

The conclusion of Galatians (allegorically written "unto the churches", which is mentioned only in Galatians and Revelation: see Rev #15 and also #23 for details): "Brethren, the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ with your spirit. Amen", is also noticably different from the Pauline Epistle format; which generally concludes Pauline epistles with: "The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ with you all. Amen". And a last singular "Amen" to that grace (only), which is how the Holy Bible ends, is what makes both it and you all one thing: Holy (not Holy Holy).

--------------------

epouraniois
unregistered

God's Word is made up of "words which the Holy Ghost teacheth" (1Cor. 2:13. 1Thess. 2:13. 2Tim. 3:16. 2Pet. 1:21, &c.).

It is absolutely necessary to recognize Figures of Speech for true interpretation.

A "Figure of speech" relates to the form in which the words are used. It consists in the fact that a word or words are used out of their ordinary sense, or place, or manner, for the purpose of attracting our attention to what is thus said. A Figure of speech is a deigned and legitimate departure from the laws of language, in order to emphasize what is said. Hence in such Figures we have the Holy Spirit's own marking, so to speak, of His own words.

This peculiar form or unusual manner may not be true, or so true, to the literal meaning of the words; but it is more true to their real sense, and truer to truth.

Figures are never used but for the sake of emphasis. They can never, therefore, be ignored. Ignorance of Figures of speech has led to the grossest errors, which have been caused either from taking literally what is figurative, or from taking figuratively what is literal.

The Greeks and Romans named some hundreds of such figures. The only work on Biblical Figures of speech in the English language is by Dr. Bullinger (Published by Eyre and Spottiswoode, London, 1898.)

Allagory is the Continued Comparison by Representation (Metaphor) (Gen. 49:9. Gal. 4:22, 24), and Implication (Hypocatastasis) (Matt. 7:3-5). Teaching a truth about one thing by substituting another for it which is unlike it.

Here is the only Figure of True Allagory that I am aware of:
Gal 4:23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise.
Gal 4:24 Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which engendereth to bondage, which is Hagar.

Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
qt

It's the very familiar story of King David and how his affair with Bathsheba led to the murder of her husband Uriah, and it's a classic example of allegory. The man of God, Nathan, comes to David and tells him about a rich man with many flocks who takes a poor man's only lamb to serve to his guests. Apparently David didn't see it coming, and declared out of his own mouth how that the rich man should die for his actions. That's when Nathan said to him "Thou art the man"!

What a shocker! David must've recognized the allegory right away -- how it was Bathsheba who was the "lamb" that Uriah loved. Nathan went on to tell him about the consequences of his action and, to his credit, David acknowledged his sin against the LORD.

Buzzard food? Are you hearing from a man of God? Have you confessed your sin against the Lord?? If so, then receive the "sure mercies of David", Acts 13:34, and straighten up and fly right! That's the allegory! Now we're chewing on Eagle Food instead of regurgitated buzzard food!

Allegory of the Cup.
It nearly goes unnoticed in Genesis 44 when Joseph ordered that his own silver cup be "planted" in his younger brother Benjamin's sack -- no explanation is given anywhere in the Old Testament concerning why he would want to frame him and have him labeled as a thief. Joseph and Benjamin were full brothers; born of the supposedly barren Rachel who had died giving birth to Benjamin. In hindsight, their names: Joseph ("the Lord will add a son") and Benjamin ("son of the right hand") are clearly applicable to Jesus who wouldn't be born in Bethlehem for another two thousand years.

The psalms tell us how "my CUP runneth over", Ps23:5, so that we aren't ignorant of figurative "cups", but the allegorical clincher is when Jesus declares in the Garden of Gethsemane: "The CUP which my Father has given me--shall I not drink it"?

GOD gave Jesus the cup, just as Joseph gave the cup to Benjamin! That's the allegory! Now we're chewing on Eagle Food instead of regurgitated buzzard food!
The scripture "He was numbered with the transgressors", Isa53:12 & Mk15:28, reminds us that Benjamin wasn't really a thief and of how Jesus was different from those he was crucified with... Joseph didn't reveal himself to his brothers on their first visit, but he told them they must surely have the little brother Benjamin with them when they returned. Likewise, the Jews didn't recognize their King, and if you don't have Jesus in your heart when He returns, you won't be going with Him!

Allegory of the Bread.
As we read the Scriptures, the first real glimmer of insight into this amazing truth comes when Jesus claimed to be the Living Bread! Jn6:35. Who would have suspected such a development?

Then, when we arrive at 1Cor10:17 and understand that We the People are "one body and one BREAD", it adds fuel to the logic of this revelation. Sooo, not just Jesus alone, but his followers are also termed "bread" and we're forced to acknowledge that this isn't just the usual bakery bread we need for strong bodies, but is spiritual bread for mankind who is "spirit, soul, and body" according to 1Thes5:23.

The Pharisees, Sadducees, and various other denominations refuse to acknowledge this truth, even to this very day, and it's a shame because the analogy doesn't stop there. We have to recognize how the Old Covenant emphasizes the Flat Bread (without leaven) which did NOT rise, and compare it to the improved New Covenant "bread" which is going to "rise and meet the Lord in the air" according to 1Thes4:16.

Does that mean that everyone is going to rise and meet the Lord in the air?? Nope. The allegory requires that we be filled with this hidden (Matt 13:33) leaven which is "Christ in you, the hope of glory", Colossians 1:27. The allegory demands that only those who really are following after Christ, and ready with their oil, will be like the five wise virgins of Matthew 25.

Allegory of the Lamb.
It was John the Baptist who introduced Jesus "Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world", Jn1:29. The Jews knew about the Passover Lamb, but this concept of how a "person" could be a lamb would not have set well with them.

In their thinking, the Passover Lamb was for the saving of the Jews (Israel), and definitely wasn't for a world full of pagans, infidels, and gentiles.

It had all began with the obstinate Pharaoh in Egypt who refused to allow the Israeli's to depart for their "promised land". The final plague called for all the "first-born" to die, except for those who selected their "Lamb" and then killed it and smeared the blood over the doorways to their residence. Those living at that time couldn't see this as a precept, of course, but once Jesus was identified as the "Lamb", then the allegory re-inforces the "born-again" doctrine because of His spilled blood at Calvary.

One of the rules of allegory is that the stories must agree; i.e. the symbolical tale cannot contradict the plain text. As with all analogies, there will always be parameters which are NOT part of any comparison. Just because Jesus called himself a "Door" doesn't mean that he's made of wood or swings on hinges -- just because believers are called "sheep" doesn't mean they have a fleece or four feet.
The Hebrews had no way of knowing how their Passover Lamb was a type (or pre-figure) of Christ to come, any more than they could recognize the "Rock" that Moses smote to get water for them was also a "figure" of Jesus being crucified (smitten) to bring us the Living Water of God's Word.

Allegory of "The Bride".
The church is called the "body" of Christ in 1Cor12:27 and elsewhere, and many in the church also consider themselves as the "bride" of Christ because of Matthew 25:6 and perhaps 2Cor11:2.
Question is: Are the Body and the Bride one and the same?

Adam & Eve were not only created different (viva la difference!), but they were created DIFFERENTLY as well. Matrimony is positively a Bible doctrine and Adam's "bride" was taken from his own "body"--from his rib.
Jesus spoke of the temple of his "body" in Jn2:19 when he declared: "Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up"! The Jews thought he was speaking of the physical structure known as Solomon's Temple, and were ignorant of the figurative or spiritual temple that He spoke of, but now we have the entirety of all sixty-six (66) books of the Bible and so ignorance is no excuse. ("Know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost?...1Cor6:19).
If we're "wise virgins" we'll not only be like Mary in saying "Be it unto me according to thy Word", but we'll definitely want plenty of that Holy Spirit anointing oil that has been poured out from heaven as Peter tells us in Acts2:17. Be a vessel who's filled to the brim with the Living Water of Scripture and Jesus will still do his beginning of miracles by changing your water into wine! (But you won't be drunken "as they suppose"...)

Allegory of Amalek.
Amalek (means "warlike, or dweller in the valley") was the son of a concubine of a son of Esau, and his mother's name was Timna: Gen36:12. Several scriptures about him stand out as though high-lighted as we use hindsight after reading about Satan in the New Testament.

1. He's the first adversary who comes up against Israel after their exodus from Egypt. "Then came Amalek and fought with Israel in Rephidim".

2. It's a strange and see-saw battle indeed, which is won by Israel when the hands of Moses are raised, or by Amalek when his hands are lowered. Gen17:11.

3. It's Joshua, in the background, who is actually doing the fighting for Israel. Gen17:13. Joshua's name means "saviour" in Hebrew (as does Jesus in Greek) and he's a 'type' or precept of Jesus who supercedes Moses.

4. "The LORD said unto Moses, "I will utterly put out the remembrance of Amalek from under heaven". Gen17:14.

5. "The LORD said "the LORD will have war with Amalek from generation to generation".

6. The Amalekites are the people whom Saul was supposed to "utterly destroy", but he saved alive their king, Agag. 1Sam15.

Amalek is a precept of Satan! He's disguised in this account because it wasn't time yet to reveal our spiritual battle, but the Lord has left us enough pertinent details to recognize his devices. We'll be fighting him forever, through all generations, until Jesus returns, and we do it with prayer and uplifted hands, encouraging one another. These are the weapons of our warfare, and it's God who is our shield and buckler, and who gives us the victory!

Two Stories!

We often think of an allegory as simply a symbolic or figurative story. That's correct as far as it goes, but many in the religious heirarchy are determined to discredit allegories by proclaiming them as "something which isn't true". Actually, the symbolic story is just a figurative way of telling the plain language story--in other words, the two stories are really the same.

Scripture doesn't use the word disparagingly however. The Apostle Paul uses the word "allegory" in Galatians 4:24 of the King James Bible when he writes concerning the Two Covenants, and the first two sons of Abraham. He writes: "which things are an allegory", meaning that Ishmael/Hagar were illustrating the Old Covenant and Isaac/Sarah were illustrating the New Covenant. Seeing the allegory of the two (2) covenants is just the beginning.
There are other covenants besides these two, of course, but it's important to recognize the contrasts and comparisons between the Old Covenant for the Jew under the Law, and the New Covenant for the Gentile by Faith or by Grace.

Figures of speech, like metaphors or parables, often say things which aren't literally accurate, and allegories are in the same class. The symbolic story may use outrageous or incredible features to describe an actual event, and so both may be true if that's the author's intent.

When Samson went up against his enemies the Philistines, scripture says he "tied the tails of two foxes together" and put a lighted firebrand between them and sent them into the enemy fields. He razed those enemy fields (burnt 'em down), but in these Last Days it may take the logical explanation of God's Word (tying the tale's together) that will enable the entire Body of Christ to be RAISED to meet the Lord in the air.
Sure, some will say this is "reaching", but on the other hand it deserves the thoughtful meditation required in Joshua 1:8, and recognition of how our language really has been confounded.

Nearly all TEACHING is done by analogy --by comparing the new subject being introduced, to a subject which the student is already familiar with--so Scripture teaches about the new life ahead with the stories of farming, building, marriage, fishing, etc. which we learn as children growing into adults. The precepts it establishes in the Old Covenant cannot be seen as a pattern or allegory UNTIL they are compared to what is written in the New Covenant.

Were you upset when the horse and rider were drowned in the Red Sea? Ex15:1.
Don't worry, God loves horses too, but HE uses animals as a teaching device--the Old Covenant characters are portraying "the oxen who grind out the corn of scripture" (our spiritual food) and the horses are those of us who get to CHOOSE to whom we give our reins.

Genesis is chock-full of precepts and analogies, all the way from Abraham as Father God and his son Isaac as a "lamb" sacrifice, and especially how Joseph with the coat of many colors is like Jesus who brings salvation to all races and colors of mankind.

--------------------

Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

I have a question since I will begin to read again the book “Things to Come” but this time I will read it slowly to get the best out of it. There is a view that I would like to share with you and see what God lead us in a hermeneutical conversation, after that I will continue the studies of “Doctrines of Grace”.

The New Testament is full of parables, types and symbols, is the interpretation of types the same as allegorical interpretation?

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement