Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » but he shall baptize you with the Holy Spirit

Author Topic: but he shall baptize you with the Holy Spirit
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I once had a friend who had a bit of "crazy eyes", he would get kind of real close to my face with kind of "crazy eyes", not real bad, just a little bit noticeable.

One day he went to Phoenix, Arizona, and he says he met a Christian group there and someone prayed for him and he received the Holy Spirit.

When he came home, the crazy eyes were gone. In fact, he was as handsome and graceful-looking as Adonis.

One of my regular housemates came home and saw my friend and immediately exclaimed, "what happend to you"?, meaning, "how did you get to look so good all of a sudden"?

And another roommate came in and disputed with my friend, and my friend prevailed over him and that other roommate could not see where to speak to my friend again, walking away and muttering, "you s.o.b...."

They couldn't understand what had happened?

Eventually, though, my friend reacquired some of those "crazy eyes", having presumably left himself "empty and swept".

God bless, [Cross] BORN AGAIN

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmela
Advanced Member
Member # 4817

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Carmela     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe they are the same. That is a good question though BA.

You asked:
quote:
brothers and sisters in Christ, what does that "he shall baptize you with the Holy Spirit" look like?

is that the same as "the Holy Spirit coming alongside" or the "earnest or pledge or downpayment of the Holy Spirit"?

To me, if the Holy Spirit is in others, all will know. When Jesus baptizes us with the Holy Spirit, that person's life starts to change. You can see something different in them, and that same change in the very thing that draws others to Christ. People that you have known for years will all of a sudden see positive changed in you and they think....that's amazing! Often, people find it hard to believe it's the same person.

So for me, that is what the Holy Spirit looks like. I don't believe it's only seen in people through speaking in tongues because sometimes there are Christians that can not speak in tongues, but you can see the Holy Spirit at work in their lives through their attitudes and actions.

Where good is, evil can't abound. I believe that when Jesus baptizes us with the Holy Spirit, satan no longer exists in that person. Satan will still tempt them, but they are going to resist temptation more often.

--------------------
www.pinecrest.org

Posts: 646 | From: Central New York | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
epouraniois
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gace and Truth through the Lord Christ Jesus.

I see it as so, that the promised Comforter, the paraclete, the Christ Jesus risen and His outworking during the Acts, and for His people Israel, 'to the Jew first, then...':

Act 11:16 Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost.

Act 13:52 And the disciples were filled with joy, and with the Holy Ghost.

1Th 1:5 For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Ghost, and in much assurance; as ye know what manner of men we were among you for your sake.

Heb 2:4 God also bearing them witness, both with signs and wonders, and with divers miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to his own will

Heb 10:15 Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,
Heb 10:16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;
Heb 10:17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.

Act 20:22 And now, behold, I go bound in the spirit unto Jerusalem, not knowing the things that shall befall me there:
Act 20:23 Save that the Holy Ghost witnesseth in every city, saying that bonds and afflictions abide me.

Act 20:24 But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.
Act 20:25 And now, behold, I know that ye all, among whom I have gone preaching the kingdom of God, shall see my face no more.
Act 20:26 Wherefore I take you to record this day, that I am pure from the blood of all men.
Act 20:27 For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God.
Act 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
Act 20:29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.
Act 20:30 Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.
Act 20:31 Therefore watch, and remember, that by the space of three years I ceased not to warn every one night and day with tears.

Paul's entire goal and the end of it is discussed in the above, that his apostleship is by the Holy Spirit, Paul's aim is to finsih his course, He sees that Israel is not going to receive her kingdom, gives heed, admonishes them to stay in th e spirit of the Holy Spirit.

Just how much different it is today, now that the church is in view. Look at how it was when the OT kingdom is preached to Israel:

Act 19:2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.

Act 19:6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied...
And he went into the synagogue - Act 19:8

That means they spake in a language not naturally aquired, it was miraculous, it was of God by the HS, they spake the Scriptures in Hebrew, that even the gainsayers *Jews* would be convinced, while at the same time, the apostle is quoting Scriptures to those who deny Christ Jesus anyway, saying God would work a work in those days that they would not believe, even though they told it. Well, they were told it. It happened. They became Lo-ammi.

There is no reason to believe that those so gifted did not also have flames of fire over their heads as they did at the beginning of Acts. The Lord cannot be expected to write everything down in every verse every time He is reinforcing what is happening. He has more to say beyond those things we are expected to remember are going on.

Act 11:15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning.
Act 11:16 Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost.
Act 11:17 Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?
Act 11:18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

The Holy Spirit works differently with the gentile church of today than as He then did for the hope of Israel. When Israel's hope is in view, there are angels, miracles, signs, wonders, healings, raising the dead, &c, &c. It is like that throughout the OT. It is like that all the way up until the Salvation of God is sent to the nations at the end of Acts. Those things were happening in the very last chapter of Acts. The very next writing provides not only a different list of spiritual things, but a complete lack of anything taught in the Acts except for the redeeming blood of Christ and Him glorified. It is of the uttermost importance that we receive the understanding of the Acts, why those things were happening, that we see what is different about the Pentacostal church of Acts, and the one body with Christ as it's Head, one new man.

BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark 1
6 And John was clothed with camel's hair and with a girdle of a skin about his loins; and he ate locusts and wild honey;

7 And he preached, saying, There comes one mightier than I am after me, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to stoop down and unloose.

8 And I indeed have baptized you with water: but he shall baptize you with the Holy Spirit.

brothers and sisters in Christ, what does that "he shall baptize you with the Holy Spirit" look like?

is that the same as "the Holy Spirit coming alongside" or the "earnest or pledge or downpayment of the Holy Spirit"?

is there a "baptism or immersion" in the Holy Spirit besides the Holy Spirit "coming alongside" as my Comforter and Counsellor?

John 14:16
And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you forever.

John 14:26
But the Comforter who is the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said to you.

John 15:26
But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send to you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, he shall testify of me.

John 16:7
Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send him to you.

dear brothers and sisters in Christ, is that Comforter coming equivalent to John's saying, "but he shall baptize you with the Holy Spirit"?

thank you. BORN AGAIN [Cross]

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement